PDA

View Full Version : Tip for hotel broadband using proxy servers

HandyAndy
20th Nov 2007, 01:33
Folks

Checked into a hotel in the Philippines that has a wireless internet system but to connect one has to enter a proxy server and port to gain access.
The staff gave me the details to enter in IE (or Firefox) connections. That meant I could use IE or Firefox to browse but could not use Outlook or Mailwaher as they could not be configured with the proxy server or port.

After searching I came across a small program called HTTPort. Basically it is a tunneling program that one can configure to get Outlook or any other program to work on this system where the hotel's only security is proxy.

I find using Outlook much more convenient than webmail which is why I am using it right now.

Freeware and easy to configure, it can be found at HTTPort (http://www.htthost.com/)

Best!
HA

NeoDude
21st Nov 2007, 21:23
I generally just leave my home pc on 24/7 and then when I'm away I login via remote desktop from my laptop. Saves any hassle with syncing multiple mail boxes.

Return to base
22nd Nov 2007, 13:54
NeoDude,

you will have all the fluffy ones banging on your door, think of global warming and your carbon footprint.

If they want to do away with a standby mode on electronic equipment they will not take lightly to you leaving your computer on 24/7 :ugh:

Needless to say I leave my file server on 24/7 so I can access it when I am away. When I asembled it I installed a far larger power supply than needed so it would not be overstressed and the cooling system to the server is way over the top to cater for a possible summer heatwave.

rtb

bnt
22nd Nov 2007, 14:33
I'm all for reducing power usage, and I do switch most appliances off at the plug, except the obvious (fridge, VCR, clock radio). I'd like to turn off my PC, but last time I tried that, the button cell on the system board ran flat, My first PC had a large NiCd rechargeable that kept the BIOS data for weeks. Now, I have to leave it plugged in 24/7, because motherboard makers saved a few bucks on components. :hmm:

IO540
22nd Nov 2007, 21:25
This is an interesting piece of software as the host runs under FreeBSD and we run that on our office server...

This kind of thing (a tunnel over HTTPS, port 443) is becoming common in the corporate world for travelling execs who need full internet access, and VPN access, when on the move but hotel networks often block the required ports.

There are a lot of hardware solutions (boxes) which do VPN over port 443 but software is normally cheaper to buy :) Hardware boxes are preferred for serious stuff because HTTPS is very processor intensive on the server.