PDA

View Full Version : COPA Interview

Wish4rs6
20th Nov 2007, 00:38
Just wanted to know if anyone here works for COPA and what the interview process is like?

Wish4rs6
26th Nov 2007, 13:26
well, my interview is today..lets see what they say!

Godspeed

jrsanch
28th Nov 2007, 03:21
... so, how did it go???
Can you tell us about the process and what are they recruiting for???
Good luck with the outcome!

Wish4rs6
28th Nov 2007, 13:36
Everything went well. Seems like they have their ducks in a row as far Admin goes. Interview was mostly HR questions and previous experience. Out of ten, 3 were invited to go to Panama and take the "physco-metric tests" polygraph and a flight evaluation.. I'm leaving today for Panama and will let all know of the outcome and gouges. :ok:

theopalmer
29th Nov 2007, 00:44
congrats!!!!!!!!!

allatp
30th Nov 2007, 15:05
Wish4:
I hope everything goes well for you!
I would like to know what salary was offered to you. Please.
And, how do you see the time for upgrade in case you are hired as a FO?.

Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers

AA

Wish4rs6
1st Dec 2007, 13:21
Hello all!

Flew to Panama on 28/11/07 in the evening. Arrived in Panama around 6pm. Greeted outside by a COPA driver to take us to the Hotel. Next morning started off at about 900am with a Polygraph (lie detector) test. Fun stuff and done by a very nice guy. After that went to COPA's main offices for the written evaluations. Again more fun stuff. We were then invited to lunch in COPA's cafeteria. Which is very nice.
Flight Eval followed in the evening at an airport in the city of Panama. Basic flying skills are checked along with English capabilities and BIG on IFR procedures. Intercepting radials/ Outbound courses from VORS/ Holds, and approaches. I think thing they were mostly looking for procedure and CRM.
After the flight eval we were taken to the airport for a return flight back home.
I since then have been offered a job @ COPA and proud to say that I am taking it. I believe its a great airline with very nice people.
Any questions, I would be than happy to answer. and for those curious about pay?!?! It depends on person and experience. Upgrade times haven't been discussed either..

Godspeed.

Panama Jack
1st Dec 2007, 14:22
Good to hear that your experiences went well at COPA.

I have a few questions. 1) I assume you are not Panamanian (seeing as you list your location as Guatemala). Can you please give some more information as far as COPA's policy now goes towards hiring non-Panamanians (is it only Central Americans, or only Latin Americans, or is it open season)?

2) How many people did you meet who were also being assessed by COPA? Can you give a representative idea of background qualifications of most of the guys who they were assessing?

Wish4rs6
1st Dec 2007, 14:37
PJ,

1/ No, I'm not Panamanian. I do live in Guatemala but I am American. I am married to a Guatemalan. So to answer your question.. I think its Open season.

2/ I flew to Panama with 2 other Guatemalans. Both having a lot of flying experience. One was flying DC9's in Africa and prior to Africa was here in Guatemala flying for Tikal Jets. The other has been flying SAAB 340's here in Guatemala and has a good 2000 hours. Mostly very nice and very professional well trained pilots.

rayward
4th Dec 2007, 01:49
Hi, I allready applyed. I have olnly 300 hours. I know the minimums are 250, but they díd´t call me for an intervew. Do you know how much are the "real minimums"???

Thank you

Panama Jack
4th Dec 2007, 03:17
At the risk of making this sound brutally candid, "Welcome to the world of airlines, rayward."

Airlines are not unlike any other business. They will take the best available to them at the moment. Wish4rs6's qualifications should give you an idea of the caliber of aplicants they are getting, although I don't think that means they trashed your application. Yes, you meet their minimums. It is just that unless they are getting more attractive applicants. Unfortunately, 250 hours is the bare bone minimums-- you have a licence and a pulse.

It's kind of like you looking for a date on a Friday night. Minimum requirements are that her height/weight be somewhat in proportion, not slobber or have flatulance problems, and not pick your pocket while you are dancing with her or tell you she has a dreadful communicable disease while you are undressing her. There are millions of young females who meet these minimum requirements, however, if Sofia Vergara shows up, of course, you will probably pick her.

If you are Panamanian this is probably something in your favor, although it probably does not trump thousands of hours of experience. On the other hand, if you do not have at least some kind of Central American ties, you are probably far from the target.

Guaraguao
7th Dec 2007, 15:39
Polygraph? I'm curious as to what kind of questions they asked there.

FEDENO
12th Dec 2007, 19:09
Was the interview in English or Spanish? Did they pay the airtickets? have you applied via website?Did they call you via email or phonecall?

Good luck at Copa :ok::ok::ok::ok:

chock2chock
13th Dec 2007, 22:21
Polygraph? I'm curious as to what kind of questions they asked there.
4th December 2007 05:17
I'm kinda curious as well... I'll bet most are itching to know!:}. But I'd imagine that there would be some kind of non-disclosure agreement no?

Wish4rs6
16th Dec 2007, 18:35
The polygraph test is a basic lie detector test and I imagine its in place to determine honesty.. beyond that I wont go due to disclosure reasons.

Godspeed!

IXNAT
17th Dec 2007, 23:31
Heard rumors that Copa may be hiring direct entry captains soon. Anybody have any info on that? Would seem a bit strange.

Panda180
19th Dec 2007, 15:03
Hi guys - as some of you might know, COPAs minimums are 250/MULTI/COM.

I'm Panameno, wrapping up my commercial and expect to be applying at COPA come February. I would like to know if COPA is ACTUALLY ---HIRING--- with these minimums. If so, how common has it been?

I've found it quite difficult to find information on COPA and whats been "brewing" in their HR department. The only REAL info I know about has come from this forum and the actual COPA site.

I'm trying educate myself on whats been going on, so ANY information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

lcpic
20th Dec 2007, 12:43
hey guys yes they are hiring direct entry captains a friend of mine was offered a job with them as a cap.

Panama Jack
22nd Dec 2007, 05:46
No surprise really, COPA Airlines has hired DEC's over many years. In fact, the better chance of getting in as a non-Panamanian to COPA has been as a DEC.

Eitan
27th Dec 2007, 13:35
Hi all,
I am a British and South African Citizen - been living in South Africa (Love this beautiful country but its deteriorating) for 10 years now. Im doing contract work all over Africa and have about 1100 hours and 100 multi. Just got captaincy on the twin otter. Oh, and I must mention my licence is ICAO. We are planning on moving to Panama. I wanted to know if I can apply to Copa Airlines with my experience and nationality and ICAO licence. Also, I wanted to know if I can get the whole application and hopefully, interview, completed with a few visits to Panama only rather then moving and then only applying. I have read all similar posts to mine but the answer has not yet been given to my question - I can not get the contact details of the correct people to apply/contact for pilot work with Copa. Please can some ppl assist. I realise that flying jobs are scarce there. Oh, and then one last thing - I'm Jewish - Is that generally a problem in Latin America?
thanks

Immigrant
31st Dec 2007, 13:03
Oh, and then one last thing - I'm Jewish - Is that generally a problem in Latin America? thanks

Jewish family owns the Copa........,
but if you dont speak Spanish (at list beginner level) this is real problem here.

Panama Jack
31st Dec 2007, 13:37
In Panama, there is a large and influential Jewish community.

JLQ
1st Jan 2008, 09:43
Not sure of the situation over there but with the number of South and Central Americans coming over to Asia and the Middle East I would guess all the airlines will be ramping up recruitment and minimim requirments will lower. May start to see some nice contracts offered soon if they loose too much experience. I travelled around the continent for over a year and had the time of my life, of course I was single then.....;)

Eitan
1st Jan 2008, 19:40
thanks for telling me that - its good to know jews are ok in panama and in copa. i do speak spanish - i reckon basic level - i studied it so hopefully that wont be a problem - main thing is i need ppl to speak slowly to understand. so i still need to know please how to apply - i checked out the nuestrohub website that dont have a pilot option in the list of jobs that i can apply for. I have also emailed the chief pilot - still awaiting his reply but with new years and stuff he's prob on holiday. If there is any Copa pilot that doesn't mind assisting me with applying or taking my CV in for me please PM me i will greatly appreciate it. If anyone can give me a human resources contact too that will help. just to let you all know there is so much contract work based out of south africa that pays huge salaries compared to panama (like executive turbine who need twin otter crew) i may stay with them until i can get into copa and just fly back after each contract.

getz
3rd Jan 2008, 07:51
I did a W&Balance course with one of the COPA guys in Singapore. They seem to be very professional and jacked up. I think they will be a good company to work for. I am South African and this guy told me that I do stand a chance to be accepted. They fly 800 & 700s.
If the situation deteriorates in SA I will look their way.

broknbaron
14th Jan 2008, 12:31
Hello there!!
Could you please, pass a phone number where I can call an talk to HR in COPA. I have send my CV few times but, it seems that they dont get it. And I would like to call to some one there. I appreciated your help.

xabi20
20th Jan 2008, 08:24
Hi There,

I am currently flying in Spain, with over 3000h on CRJ as a co-pilot.

How can I apply for COPAC? Can't find anything on their web site.
Are they recruiting?

What are the working conditions?
-roster
-days off
-average pay
-days of vacations
-Any base outside Panama, I am interestd in Nicaragua.

Thanks.