PDA

View Full Version : Parking helicopter during trip through USA

Runway101
19th Nov 2007, 12:24
I plan to fly across the USA in February for a couple of weeks. I am flying an R44 and I plan to head south where it is a bit warmer during February. I also plan to be in Texas for the Heli Expo 2008. This flight is to to build time and to see the country.

I was wondering if anyone has some practical advise where I can park the R44 during my trip. As far as I know most airports in the USA have tie-downs that you can use for a certain fee overnight etc, but that's about all I know. Are there public hangars for overnight staying or a couple of days? Do you usually use FBOs, or where do you park your ship? The R44 comes with a cover, but I'd rather spend a bit of money and park it in a hangar (and sleep well without being worried).

Thanks!

Flying Binghi
19th Nov 2007, 12:48
Your flying a helicopter - Take your swag and park in the paddock. Dont they teach common sense in the U.S.

rick1128
19th Nov 2007, 13:38
Common sense is not a requirement on any pilot rating.

There is no national standard for the treatment of helicopters. It really depends on the airport and the municipality. For HeliExpo, your best bet is parking at Hobby Airport (KHOU) it is the closest to the show. Be aware that Houston is not Helicopter Friendly. Landing within the city limits off airport will get you a ticket.

Have fun on your trip.

STL206
19th Nov 2007, 16:12
It all depends on where you are going and the airports you will be staying at. Small airports usually don't charge overnight ramp fees, or those that do usually will waive it if you buy fuel. Some small airport will have overnight hangar space, but its pretty hit or miss. The facilities are usually not as nice as at the larger airports, but it is usually cheaper to operate out of. Larger airports will have nicer FBOs with more services, but you will pay for them: ramp fees, more expensive fuel, etc.

Check out airnav.com, it is a pretty good source for what is available at airports across the country.

Just call ahead on the UNICOM or Arinc freq. and give them a heads up on what services you will be needing and to ask where they want you to park. Busier airport usually have a place they park helicopters.

Just make sure you bring the ground handling wheels with you if you plan to hanagar, because FBOs usually don't have them.

arismount
19th Nov 2007, 17:44
Small airports are your best friend for a trip like this. Big airports charge too much for everything and don't like to park aircraft they can't move around, such as skid helicopters.

Go to airnav.com and find a small field within driving distance of your ground destinations. Most small FBOs either rent cars, or will arrange to have one there for you to pick up, or will give you a lift to the agency.

By all means always call ahead a day prior and make arrangments. You will eliminate most FBO surprises this way.

Fixed wing tiedown spots sometimes don't work for helicopters, you should look into carrying some nylon rope to lash onto the existing tiedowns if necessary.

In Texas in February, I would recommend putting on blade tiedowns & all covers, plus tying the ship down. If a blue Norther blows through the area it can get pretty cold and gusty.

tgilson
20th Nov 2007, 21:19
You will have a great time if you fly around the SW states of the USA and will meet a lot of friendly , helpful and generous people who will talk about flying all day and be happy to share their coffee and beer with you. The weather should be pretty good by UK standards but as has been said , watch out for those 'Blue Northers' and fast moving cold fronts that whip down from the Rockies.
I lived in and flew around Houston for 12 years - you will be fine if you don't land anywhere silly , try and fly around Downtown at night , Amazing ! Don't go to the big airports ( Hobby and Intercontinental ) There are plenty of good smaller ones around the city - David Wayne Hooks on the North side has Helicopter Services which is run by Robin Simpson , a Scot who taught me to fly back in the eighties and a great bloke. Also West Houston Airport on the West side ( Doh ! ) owned by Woody Lesikar , another good bloke. If you go to either of these , mention Tony from London - they will either shake your hand or shoot you !!!! I'll bet 'Rick 1128' knows both of them.
I don't think you need worry about your R44 , it will be safe and sound. You will see more helicopters flying around than here , Houston Police have about 8 I think and all the major TV networks have their own also. Good aviation museum in Galveston ( on the airfield ) plus the Confederate Airforce which now has a more PC correct name - yawn -based in Central Texas.

Have a great time and Fly Safe !

206 jock
20th Nov 2007, 21:59
"Helicopter Services which is run by Robin Simpson , a Scot who taught me to fly back in the eighties and a great bloke"

Anybody know how Robin is these days? I bought a JetRanger project from him earlier this year: halfway through the deal he was in hospital with a brain blood vessl burst or similar. Seemed like a sensible guy...for a 'sweatie':)

SASless
21st Nov 2007, 01:11
Get a good airport directory....and look for very small places that have fuel for your R44....as in the UK....the small places are usually much more fun and friendly.

Do mind your performance planning if you get into the higher elevations....
When you look for a place to eat....look for the places that have a lot of pickup trucks in the parking lot...most places in the rural part of the country have no problem with landing out in the parking lot.

You will love the "freedom" of flying in the USA....no telephone booking in/out...no landing fees, usually no parking fees. Get your weather and file your VFR Flight Plan from the Flight Service Stations....flight follow with them on the VHF Radio.....just remember to close the Flight Plan out both by radio and telephone just to ensure no one drops a clanger.

Remember our airfields usually have pilot controlled lighting and can be used 24 hours a day (subject to local restrictions sometimes). Leave yer Hi-Vis waistcoat at home....but do bring yer big watch, leather jacket, and cheque book.

rick1128
21st Nov 2007, 03:46
SASLess, the Flight Service Station system is a mess. You will spend more time on the phone trying to get them to answer than you will flying. For VFR and IFR flight plans, most folks are using www.fltplan.com to file and get weather.

Yes I do know both of them. However, unless you are comfortable driving in Rome, Mexico City or in a demolition derby, avoid driving any length in Houston. You have to have the right Cowboy Attitude (big pickup truck, rifle in the rifle rack, etc) The HeliExpo is being held at the Brown Convention Center which isright in the middle of downtown. Hobby is the closest airport. Hobby is a big airport with big airport problems and attitudes. However the HPD air support operation is based there as is Central Helicopter Service. I would call the folks at CHS about suggestions on parking. Talk to Todd the DO or the Chief Pilot. Wilson Air Center might also be able to help you. The next closest airport is Clover Field in Pearland, TX. The airport is city run, uncontrolled and friendly. However, rental cars will be hard to come by there. Plus the folks at Hobby can get you better rates at the nearby hotels. Which will be better than the hotels near the convention.

A couple more points. Get a Houston Helicopter route chart, study it and plan your route in and out of the city. The air traffic is busy. ATC has no problems with helicopters in their airspace. The city of Houston has issues with helicopters landing within the city limits.

arismount
21st Nov 2007, 13:39
Getting weather & notams from FSS is a big waste of time and has been for years. The internet is much faster, always there, and costs nothing.

If you absolutely, positively want to use FSS, don't dial 800-wx-brief, look up the dedicated numbers in the AFD pub & dial direct. You'll rarely be put on hold.

May be blasphemy in the UK, but there is no requirement to file a VFR flight plan within the contiguous U.S., so why do it? If you're concerned about SAR protection, simply phone a friend as to your intended destination and arrival time, & ask them to report you missing if they can't call you back at a certain time.

If you must file a VFR flight plan, use DUATS or file it in air on the radio.

Happy flying & welcome to America.

slung01
22nd Nov 2007, 04:18
I've been searching the internet for advice on a best way [route] across the US from Torrance, CA to Long Island, NY. I plan on picking up my new 44 in April with my Instructor (who hasn't been further west than Chicago). Any advice? Figured since your asking about parking, you may have been in same inexperienced place as me at some point.

Thanks!

Runway101
22nd Nov 2007, 06:34
Thanks a lot to all of you, I will definitely have a good time!
I've been searching the internet for advice on a best way [route] across the US from Torrance, CA to Long Island, NY. I plan on picking up my new 44 in April with my Instructor (who hasn't been further west than Chicago). Any advice? Figured since your asking about parking, you may have been in same inexperienced place as me at some point.
Thanks!
Paul Cantrell from Allstar Helicopters took an overhauled R22 from RHC in Torrance to Boston, Massachusetts. He flew over the Statue of Liberty on the way up so this will definitely be useful to you. It took them 9 days.
http://www.copters.com/trips/california.html

slung01
24th Nov 2007, 01:04
Thanks for the link!

Flying Binghi
24th Nov 2007, 01:44
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is a 'disguised ad' for Robinson helicopters?

EN48
24th Nov 2007, 21:16
I have just begun using Garmin Pilot MyCast ver7.x on my cell phone. For $10 U.S. per month, you can get NEXRAD radar images (animated even!), METARs, TAFs, PIREPs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, lightning, plus other wx and flight info. You can also file IFR or VFR flight plans via DTC or CSC DUATS. All of this without talking to a FSS, although you may need to contact FSS by radio to open a VFR flight plan previously filed via MyCast/DUATS. It does appear that one can also close a VFR flight plan via MyCast/DUATS. So far, I have used this only for IFR (plank) flight plans. Works beautifully provided you are in a cellular service area. It does require a compatible phone - see Pilot MyCast website for a list of the many compatible phones and service providers. I selected a Verizon LG VX9400 phone with a "large" screen to mazimize the usefullness of the wx graphics. Note: this does not require a Blackberry or other smart phone- it works on many simpler cell phones, and provides much (but not all) of the same info available via XM or WSI satellite based wx services. I am usually not impressed with this stuff, but this is different! Real utility at a modest price.

I call FSS to get my voice on the tape inquiring about TFRs (a CYA measure) and have had little difficulty so far with their service, at least in the Northeast.

For flight planning guidance from Torrance to the east, talk to some of the RHC folks; hundreds of their ships make this flight every year.

RB

Runway101
25th Nov 2007, 02:06
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is a 'disguised ad' for Robinson helicopters?

Maybe because a Joe Sixpack like me can't afford flying Jet Ranger's or (god forbid) Eurocopter's for longer than 8 minutes ;-) I have to admit that I have 1h in a Jet Ranger though and if I could afford it that would be the helicopter of my choice for now!

I planned to write a lot more, but I don't think that we need another pro or con Robinson thread, there are so many of them.

B Sousa
25th Nov 2007, 02:30
Runway, dont let the Robbie bashers bother you. I wouldnt fly them myself, but its the trip that is the topic.
I have done a whole bunch of X-Country in 38 years in the seat and you can certainly have a good time. Hopefully your not in a rush as that can get you in trouble with weather etc.
STL206 said it best, the small aiports, are usually the best. Many always have a pot of coffee and an airport car if you want to go to town for a Hamburger. AND I know a lot of great Hamburger spots along the way. Once in a while you may want a bigger town just because its something you have not seen. Be prepared to pay for everything including the smile from the chickee at the FBO.
Once you set this in stone, get back to us with the routing and Im sure you will get all the advice as to where to stay where to eat and yes, where the airport chickee hangs out.
As I said I BTDT and Im still envious, even though its in a Robbie.

Check my bad SLF
26th Nov 2007, 15:19
And definitely drop into Flagstaff if the weather suits! Beautiful airfield, glorious scenery and not all that far from the Canyon...

Flying Binghi
27th Nov 2007, 05:28
Quote, posted by Runway101 - "I planned to write a lot more, but I don't think that we need another pro or con Robinson thread, there are so many of them"

Who said any thing about compareing one helicopter to another (in this thread any way) If you are flying from one airport to the next - why own a Helicopter?

Perhaps we need a pro or con, Helicopter or Fixed wing thread.

Hiro Protagonist
27th Nov 2007, 06:05
And definitely drop into Flagstaff if the weather suits! Beautiful airfield, glorious scenery and not all that far from the Canyon...

slung01,

One route I'd recommend is following HWY-40 which indeed goes through Flag, There's a lot of high country up there, so heads up on performance / DAs etc. I flew through this area recently, and while I was up to 9 or 10,000' a few times, I think you can stay lower by following the roads. That said, there are many options... You could head through Colorado (I don't think there are many low routes through there --if any), or go north through Utah into Wy. and follow 80 east... Lotsa mountains whichever way you choose.

Allow time for wx. delays and plan any heavy and high departartures (i.e. you just topped off your tanks) for the cool mornings if you can. And keep the weight down if you can... just 'cause the 44 can hold huge suitcases in the back seats doesn't mean it should in the mountains.

For planning I like TFRCheck (http://www.tfrcheck.com/Default.aspx?tabid=147&Route=toa-dag-igm-flg-inw-abq) and SkyVector (http://skyvector.com/), for routes, and of course Airnav (http://www.airnav.com/airport/TOA), not to mention wx. sites, NOTAMS, etc...

Runway101,

As to leaving your ship outside vs. hangaring... Unless there's bad wx. around I don't usually worry about the helicopter overnight at airports (probably 'cause it's not mine ;-). People don't seem to mess with airports / aircraft much for now. I personally worry more when my ship is out in the desert next to the hotel, where any yahoo has access to it.

Flying Binghi, airports are where the 100LL / Jet-A is... It doesn't make much sense on a cross country to land where there's no fuel unless my truck is somewhere nearby (unlikely it on a real XC).

Have fun...both of you.

Flying Binghi
27th Nov 2007, 06:40
Hiro Protagonist, I can understand your concerns about parking next to the Hotel. I usualy get my beer takeaway so am not stopped long enuf for it to be a worry.

outofwhack
28th Nov 2007, 14:09
Park it on the ground - never leave it in the air!

Last week I flew a substantial portion of the Australian East coast for fun and only parked at an airport 1 night in 10. Why would anyone need advice on where to hangar a helicopter unless they had a helicopter type that cant stand the dark or disolves in water. Sounds like a 'must have an airfield' fixed-wing pilot mentality.

OOW

Places I parked on my trip last week were:
Beach
Boat ramp car park
Campsites
Private garden
Cricket pitch
Petrol station x 2
Hotel lawn

EN48
28th Nov 2007, 15:34
Here's a stupid answer:

In this country, there is some prospect that an unattended helicopter parked overnight in a somewhat public area without security will be trashed by vandals by morning. I wouldnt do it.

RB

delta3
28th Nov 2007, 19:25
RB

Is't that a very sad statement in the country of the free...

Some tricks I heared : put locks on the fuel caps (pratical hint : a mercedes benz cap fits on the R44, get an old one with a lock), glue hair on all movable parts, reduces the time of your pre-flight checks...

d3

slung01
2nd Dec 2007, 04:24
Thanks for the info!

slung01
2nd Dec 2007, 04:35
Thanks for the info Hiro. Can't wait to carefully undertake the challange.