PDA

View Full Version : Q about swimming pool drills?

MarkColeman
18th Nov 2007, 19:14
Hi,

I hear alot about having to complete drills in a pool as part of your training with an airline - Can people give me some more details on this? Do you need to be able to swim at a reasonably competent level?

Thanks

Mercenary Pilot
18th Nov 2007, 19:40
I'm not sure if every airline has the same requirements so can only speak from my own experience. Basically you tread water long enough to put on and inflate a lifejacket, swim a length and be able to rescue a member of the crew and drag them one length.

EGCC4284
18th Nov 2007, 20:23
MarkColeman

Don't worry too much about it. I cannot swim very far and I am not confidant in water especially when I cannot reach the floor with my feet.

I can only swim about 30 yards before I begin to feel uneasy about being in a pool deeper than 5 feet.

I had to stick a life vest on, inflate it, jump in a pool and drag a colleague across a pool.

After that, we all had to climb out of the pool and into a life raft which is harder than you think. A tick in the box. Still hate being in water.

I was also concerned about it before hand, but there was no way it was going to stand in the way of getting a job.

Dont worry about it.

BEagle
18th Nov 2007, 20:51
A mate of mine went to join Virgin Atlantic.

He told me that their pool drill consisted of floating around being 'rescued' by bikini-clad trainee Virgin cabin crew.....

It was pure hell.;)

potatowings
18th Nov 2007, 21:11
My wet drills were simple, we were fully clothed, choose light clothes, jumped in, kicked my shoes off, swam a length, put a life jacket on and inflated it, floated back (very slowly, I'm a weak swimmer), climbed into a raft and that was it.

Wish I was rescued by bikini clad hosties. If that's not reason to go to Virgin I don't know what is. :)

Superpilot
19th Nov 2007, 06:05
Do they allow you a floatation device prior to jumping into the pool? I havn't been swimming in over 10 years and recall it being very difficult to learn so doubt I could learn now (all for the sake of one drill!)

charliegolf
19th Nov 2007, 09:27
Go swimming!

If you can fly a big jet, you are clearly able to get 4 limbs and your gob working in sync.

Seriously though, there's no reason to want to 'get by' on the drill, when (I presume) you want to get 90% on the rest of the stuff. Is there?

CG

Sam-MAN
19th Nov 2007, 11:53
Go down to your local swimming pool a few times a month and get the hang of swimming :)

I was taught to swim from a young age so its second nature to me, but i can understand that it may be difficult for others :D

Good luck

Artie Fufkin
19th Nov 2007, 15:06
Personally, I am quite amazed at how rigarous some of your wet drills were! When I did mine, my employer took us in to the public afternoon swimming session at the local pool and didn't even get a lane roped off for us. They got us to don lifejackets on the side of the pool, inflate the jackets by mouth, jump in, and then paddle two lengths.

The old ladies in the shallow end found this all very funny and asked "do you need rescuing, dear?". Oh, the glamorous life of a pilot!

MarkColeman
19th Nov 2007, 17:57
Eek!

Unfortunately a near drowning experience as a 4 yr old has kept me out of pools and the sea ever since. Well, out of the deep bits that is.

I suppose its time for some lonnnnnng overdue swimming lessons :eek:

Wish me luck!

Sam-MAN
19th Nov 2007, 18:26
You'll be fine!

Doesn't take long to get the hang of it... doggy paddle :E

Good luck, Sam

Miraz
19th Nov 2007, 19:49
Just out of curiosity....

Do any airlines actually include any sea survival training as part of these drills?