PDA

View Full Version : Requirements to start instructor rating

welliewanger
17th Nov 2007, 22:06
What are the requirements to start an instructor rating?
I understand it to be:
CPL or 200 hours if you've got PPL

My FTO says its:
CPL and 200 hours.

I've got CPL and 172 hours. Can I start training?

TIA

Whirlygig
17th Nov 2007, 22:58
The helicopter rules (which I believe are similar) are:

Must have passed CPL theory (not necessarily CPL skills test although if you don't, you can't be paid as an instructor) and x no. of hours. For (H), this is 250 but I believe 200 for (A).

So, if you have CPL theory and 172, then you need another 28 hours and passed the "pre-test".

Cheers

Whirls

portsharbourflyer
18th Nov 2007, 12:51
Sorry to be pedantic and to change the subject slighty If you came though the modular route then to have your CPL issued you have to have 200 hours total time anyway; so I am intrigued to how you can hold a CPL with only 172 hours, the minimum anyone who has passed the CPL skill test should have at least 175 (150 hours pre course requirement + 25 CPL course).

Artie Fufkin
19th Nov 2007, 14:52
Presumably Wellie Wanger has a fATPL which is a CPL + IR + exam credit to ATPL.

I got my CPL (fATPL) issued with 146 flight hours via integrated route. (I beleive the requirement at the time was 195 hours, of which 55 could be in sim/FNPT2).

portsharbourflyer
19th Nov 2007, 15:05
Artie,

You have answered my question the poster is obviously from an integrated course.

welliewanger
20th Nov 2007, 10:59
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Artie is right, I did an integrated course. From the replies thus far I am none the wiser! According to Windforce, I can start training (this is what I thought). But Whirls seems to disagree. :{ why isn't this easy?!

portsharbourflyer
20th Nov 2007, 11:55
Windforce is correct,
Lasor reads hold at least a CPL (A) OR at least 200 hours flight time of which 150 hours p1 if a PPL(A) is held. Therefore if you hold a CPL(A) you may commence the FI course.

expedite08
20th Nov 2007, 16:43
I also understand that the hours of the Instructor course 30 in total, can count towards the 200 requirement for the CPL thus, doing what I am going to do, and get the two issued together.

portsharbourflyer
21st Nov 2007, 01:13
Expediate,
I may be wrong the way I would interpret the rules is lasors, the requirements say HOLD a CPL or 200 hours, with 150 p1 if a ppl(a) is held. If you do not have your CPL issued then you still technically only hold a ppl(A) (even if you have passed the CPL skills test). I would interpret hold a CPL as have a CPL issued.
Therefore you would need to meet the PPL(A) requirements which is 200 hours and 150 p1, therefore I didn't think you could use the time on an instructors course to bulk up the hours for CPL issue.

expedite08
21st Nov 2007, 07:33
Thats how I saw it too. But after asking around, there is the section that says that the 200 hours for licence issue can be made up with either dual time or P1. Therefore you have the hours for issue either way. Just that some of them are from the instructors course.

BillieBob
21st Nov 2007, 07:40
LASORS manages to mislead yet again! JAR-FCL 1.335, which is the source document, says:

Before being permitted to begin an approved
course of training for a FI(A) rating an applicant
shall have:
(a) at least a CPL(A) or completed at least
200 hours of flight time of which 150 hours as
pilot-in-command if holding a PPL(A);
(b) met the knowledge requirements for a
CPL(A) as set out in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL
1.470;

So, to begin the FI(A) course you must either hold the CPL(A) or have 200 hours flight time including 150 hours P1

portsharbourflyer
21st Nov 2007, 10:01
Expediate,
Don't mix requirments for CPL issue and the pre-entry requirements for the FI course.
For CPL issue (modular) you need 200 hours total with 100 p1, as you say by the time you have done the CPL skills test you may only have 179 hours if you completed everything in minimum time. The remaining hours do not have to be p1 it can be dual which you have correctly stated, most people will use the time from the IR course to make up the hours.
However the pre-entry requirement for an FI rating is hold a CPL or have 200 hours and 150 p1 if a ppl. If your CPL is not issued then you do not hold a CPL, you have a PPL hence need 200 hours with 150 p1.
Knowing the pedantic nature of the authorities the wording would read passed the CPL skills test, if you did not need an issued CPL.
For all those from the modular route the 200 hour requirement is irrelevant as if the CPL is issued you must have 200 hours anyway. Therefore this ensures all FI candidates have 200 hours.
The only thing that has caused confusion on this thread is we have some integrated students whom didn't get a recommendation from their flight school to a major airline and now have to consider instructing, consequently we have CPL holders with less than 200 hours total time, who reading betweem the lines in Lasors are eligible to start an FI rating as they hold a CPL.