PDA

View Full Version : Putting hours into a civi log book

abbotyobs
17th Nov 2007, 18:30
Hi,
I am in the process of putting my grand total pilot hours into a civilian log book plus the taxi time approved by the CAA.
I saw a column in the CAP 407 civi logbook called F/Nav which are hours for a Flight Navigator responsible for Flight Navigation of an aircraft.
Does that mean I can put my few hundred Nav hours from when I was a Nav into the civilian log book and therefore my grand total will be even bigger?
If I could, I take it I could not use those Nav hours on a CV applying for an airline job. They amount to about 25% of my grand total.
Thanks very much.

BEagle
17th Nov 2007, 19:55
Your 'Personal Flying Logbook' is just that - you may record whatever hours you wish in it. But remember that JAR-OPS is too stupid to know about 'Flight Navigators', so regrettably no credit is given for you 'arse or elbows' time.

There is no reason why your shouldn't record your flight navigator time - half-decent airline recruiters would surely give credit for the CRM and airmanship skills you would have gained as a navigator.

parabellum
18th Nov 2007, 02:13
"half-decent airline recruiters would surely give credit for the CRM and airmanship skills you would have gained as a navigator."

and between courses, waiting for the SIM, during slack periods etc. etc. those same nice airlines will proably find you a nice little job in the route and flight planning department!:}

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2007, 02:57
Don't know why you bother.. Miliitary records of flying are perfectly acceptable anywhere. When I left the RAF I kept on using RAF log books until my source of supply retired.

abbotyobs
18th Nov 2007, 08:16
Thanks very much for the info, brings my grand total maybe into Virgin territory.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers

BEagle
18th Nov 2007, 09:07
Sorry to disappoint you, but your Flight Navigator total time is unlikely to be included under 'total flying time' by airlines as they normally require total pilot time.

Nevertheless, the additional experience and CRM skills gained during military service as a navigator should certainly assist your CV. But that's about all.

abbotyobs
18th Nov 2007, 09:22
OK thanks very much again.

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2007, 15:29
I still thing you are wasting you time. Your last post suggests that you are on the borderline between one company or another. Most, if not all, ex-service pilots produce their RAF logbook as proof of flying experience. You will pitch up with a new civvy book listing your hours and they will immediately assume that your hours have been shaded.

It’s not new. Some wannebe looks out of his flying club window, see a visiting aircraft and logs a couple of hours on it between beers. The best was one who had 428hrs on 747s. He was a courier with a briefcase full of diamonds but at least he traveled Business Class.

When I was in Australia acquiring an Oz license I had to produce proof of experience. The last company that I worked for in the UK had an approved pilots hours recording system so you didn’t need to fill in a log book. When I left I downloaded my details and spent about three evenings transferring it to a new CAA log book. It had about 2,500 hrs in it

The Aussies weren’t interested.

I had to Fedex my old log books from the UK before I could get anywhere.

Stick to what you’ve got. If you have comments like. ’I would not breed from this pilot,’ or ’sets an abysmally low standard that he consistently fails to meet,’ then fair enough. Otherwise stick with what Queenie gave you.