PDA

View Full Version : WSOp Questions

_Quiet_Mason
17th Nov 2007, 16:48
Hi there guys and girls.

Just a quick call out for any WSOp personnel, of any area or trade. I’ve got OASC coming up in a couple of months, and I really need to clear a few things up in my own head.

So....anyone?

Cheers,

QM :)

GalleyTeapot
17th Nov 2007, 16:55
Ok so what thing do you need to clear up?????

_Quiet_Mason
17th Nov 2007, 17:08
Basically what do I need to prepare for OASC.

So far I’ve done (yes prepare for the list you’ve all heard a thousand times)

I know preparing with the usual current affairs, military affairs, operations, deployments, aircraft, bases, training, job role, NATO, UN, roles of groups and commands, staff etc etc etc etc etc................

I’m struggling slightly with:
Secondary duties
Career progression

Is there anything major I have missed?

Cheers again,

GalleyTeapot
17th Nov 2007, 17:19
Career progression Sergeant, Flight Sergeant, Master Aircrew.
Commission if you want to redo OASC and get selected.

Secondary duties, anything that enhances service life for others or the local community. Basically anything other than your primary work, treasurer, committee member, secretary etc of a club, etc etc.

Dont get too hung up on OASC prep, sounds like you have done a lot anyway, best advice is be yourself and dont try and bullsh*t.

Pontius Navigator
17th Nov 2007, 17:25
Secondary duties, anything that enhances service life for others or the local community. Basically anything other than your primary work, treasurer, committee member, secretary etc of a club, etc etc.
That helps you stand out from the crowd and show that you have the breadth and capacity to take responsibility.

That said, if you do these before you join then it will broaden your CV and appeal to OASC.

_Quiet_Mason
17th Nov 2007, 17:28
Well they said at the AFCO that my service knowledge was "excellent", which is why I'm trying t concentrate more on the specifics now.

Career progression – is this not say...(for example) 3 years on a front line squadron followed by...? That’s what I thought it meant, rather than rank progression? I’m really not sure this is why I’m asking you guys.

Also, where could I end up? Is this pretty much anywhere? Anywhere the RAF currently has any of its aircraft (bar fast jets obviously)?

Sven Sixtoo
17th Nov 2007, 19:01
AFAIK the SAR Force has not had a first tour WSOp (though I stand ready to be corrected by my rearcrew). Also, I'm not sure of the status of helicopter crewmen generally vis-a-vis the WSOp Branch.

TSM or others - comment please.

Sven
(SAR Driver)

WASALOADIE
17th Nov 2007, 20:27
there have been a couple of WSop crewmen go through Shawbury over the last couple of years who have gone direct SAR but its unusual.

Good luck with you selection, its a grand job and it does sound like you've done a gooddeal ofprep already. As has already been said, dont bull S**t, be yourself, sell yourself and think logically during the leadership bits.

The Swinging Monkey
23rd Nov 2007, 05:55
It used to be policy that first tourists did not go straight to SAR, although WASALOADIE will be more current than I am I'm sure.

QM, only one bit of advice really; just be yourself and don't try to bull$hit anyone, ever! They will find you out very quickly if you are a fake. So, just be open, be honest and try to enjoy it.

Good luck

TSM

Tiger_mate
23rd Nov 2007, 06:26
Wasaloadie is right.

1st Tourist SAR; rare, but not unknown. Not too many students have that as first choice either, Chinook remains the destination of choice (which is just as well!!).

An AEOp retread will probably have SAR as a realistic option, but we live in unstable times, and nobodies future is a certainty.