PDA

View Full Version : ThomsonFly versus Thomas Cook

mr.777
17th Nov 2007, 16:19
Have just returned from a weeks holiday in Taba, Egypt.
Flew with ThomsonFly on the way out, a first for me. Was pleasantly surprised at the service and the seating. The Recaro seats are very comfy and I like the way they have removed the seatback pockets to give you an inch or two of extra legroom.
Flew back from Taba last night. Upon arrival at Taba Airport we were informed that the flight back was going to be operated by TCX due tech probs with the TOM fleet. I was quite looking forward to this, having never flown TCX before either, moreso when I discovered a 757-300 sat on the apron, another first.
I can without doubt say that this was the most uncomfortable a/c I have ever had the paying privilege to fly on. In trying to contort myself into the limited personal space I was given, I have managed to trap a nerve in my shoulder. I thought our Monarch flight back from Taba last year was bad but this was unbelivable. When are TCX and the rest of the charters realise that 5hrs 30 is not short haul...I've flown back from Boston in quicker time. 29inches of seat pitch is not enough for this length of flight!!
Rant over.

Avman
18th Nov 2007, 08:05
I have always advocated worldwide legislation for an industry seat pitch absolute minimum of 32". Airlines would be free to compete in which ever other way they see fit but without resorting to cramming more and more seats into their a/c. Yes it will undoubtedly push the price of a ticket up by a few quid on some of these carriers, but well worth it.

TSR2
18th Nov 2007, 20:07
The last 'package' holiday I booked was quite some years ago. It was a Thomson Al-a-Carte winter holiday to Lanzarote. The very same holiday was available with Thomas Cook Holidays at a considerably lower cost but opted for Thomson because I had heard numerous complaints about the seating on Thomas Cook's airline JMC.
About 2 weeks prior to departure, I got a letter from Thomson stating that the flights would be operated by a Spanish airline LTE. No problem, never travelled with them, did not appear to have any history of accidents or incidents, so I'll give them a try.
Arrived at the gate at 05.15 as requested for a 06.00 departure. Aircraft in total darkness and stayed that way until a crew arrived at the gate around 06.20. Boarding commenced at 06.40 when I realised it was in fact a JMC flight operating an LTE flight number. The seat pitch was ridiculous and it must rank as the most uncomfortable flight I have ever experienced. My knees were pressing against the back of the seat in front no matter how far back in my seat I sat or what angle I sat at. The flight departed at 07.00 and to rub salt into the wounds, the captain remarked about another on-time JMC departure. To be fair, it was a pleasant flight with a good friendly cabin crew who were honest enough to admit the flight was a sub-charter for LTE with a 07.00 departure.
The return journey was with LTE and I was amazed at the difference that a little extra seat pitch made to the comfort level, to the extent that you would not have believed that both aircraft were the same type (B757-200).
To this day I have never set foot on another Thomas Cook aircraft.

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Nov 2007, 17:26
In my view I prefer TCX to TOM service, I find 'some' of the current TOM Cabin Crews totally rude & uninterested in the job in which they are specially selected to do:ugh:

They know very little about what goes on in the 'office' And some make it clear they have no real desire to with an unproffesional attitude:*

I am sad that the standards have fallen at the once ''Top' Charter carrier BY, All I can say is if they don't have any desire or interest in providing Customer Service why bother???:hmm:

I have also experienced even as SLF the rudeness & 'wanting to get job done & home attitude' by some crew members.:=

I have had good experiences as SLF on TCX flights, To date I have no complaints about TCX.

I am just 'baffled' as to how some of the TOM Cabin Crew members 'passed their wings at H/O????:hmm:

I welcome any answers:oh:

Regards.