PDA

View Full Version : Help Please with selecting a Printer

mcdhu
17th Nov 2007, 12:23
I have had a search for this, but things change so quickly that it is probably worth exploring again.

I am seeking to upgrade my trusty HP DeskJet 815C for a variety of reasons. I run a Dell Dimension PC linked to a Netgear DG834Gv2 wireless modem router via ethernet with another Dell Dimension linked via a Netgear WPN111 adapter and at the moment I can only print from the main PC.

My plan is to create a network which will enable printing from either PC and to upgrade the printer into an all-in-one.

My printing requirements are standard nuclear family ones: homework, email, the odd photograph, copying, scanning, admin etc.

The main candidates seem to be Dell's own Photo 928 All-in one, HP Photosmart PSC 5280 All-in-one and Canon Pixma MP520 All-in-one. There are others, but research on the web has led me to these. The budget is not primary but it appears that perfectly capable printers are available from £50 to £150.

Has anyone out there recently gone through this exercise or has experience of these sort of printers.

Many thanks,
mcdhu

spannersatcx
17th Nov 2007, 15:52
You have enabled printer sharing? I have 2 pc's and a wireless laptop connected to a netgear router and can print from all 3. Previously with an HP deskjet. Unless you really want a new printer I see no reason why it should not work in the network if set correctly.

I now have a Cannon pixma ip4300 that works equally as well.

TURIN
17th Nov 2007, 21:03
Likewise, I have an old Epson 760 conected to a 6yr old PC running XP, wifi'd to a laptop on XP and a Media Centre running Vista. All through a Lynksys G-ADSL gateway. I can print from any source.
The only trouble I have so far is that vista won't let the XP machines view files on it. The other way around is fine. Still it's early days. :ok:

mcdhu
17th Nov 2007, 21:46
I had a go at printer sharing via 'communications' but it wanted to take me through the network wizard which I don't feel confident to do since it all works well apart from not being able to print from anywhere. But the trusty 815c lacks some features so I need to upgrade it anyway.

Any advice please?

Cheers
mcdhu

Saab Dastard
17th Nov 2007, 22:28
You can get both wired and wireless (almost all USB) network print servers - indeed many printers have had built-in network print servers (wired) for years. Just hook up the printer to your network, run some wizard and off you go.

I don't know how well networking is supported for the multi-function devices, though. I have networked a scanner before, but that was a fairly high-end piece of kit.

It is very easy to enable printer sharing with a printer hanging off one PC. The downside is that the PC must be on to print to the printer.

I have been very happy with Canon (inkjet) printers and scanners - I would always go separate (like with hifi).

SD

joeflys256
18th Nov 2007, 02:27
Sorry, no experience with your current picks...

However I was recently recommended the following:

MP830

Canon Pixma MP810MP810: http://review.zdnet.com/multifunction-devices/canon-pixma-mp810/4505-3181_16-32077664.html

HP3310

Epson Stylus Photo RX510: http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hardware/printersscanners/soa/Epson-Stylus-Photo-RX510/0,139023422,120281488,00.htm

As for networking these printers, you should have absolutely no problems at all, I have a few friends using these for the same purpose, they all swear by them…

Here is a tutorial on setting up a home network if you need a bit of direction:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596

I have found that one of the most important considerations to take before buying a printer is the cost of replacement cartridges; some of the difference between brands/makes can make a difference...I would just go for the one that has the cheapest running costs out the ones that consistently come recommended. As for networking, I have not come across a printer that you cannot network, some take a bit more patience e.g. drivers etc...

Hope that was of some use to you?

Good luck.

mcdhu
18th Nov 2007, 08:45
Brilliant! Thank you very much gents. Please keep the advice coming - it's very useful to me.

Cheers
mcdhu

Keef
18th Nov 2007, 18:17
If you plan to connect a printer to your router, check first what functions the router provides!

It looked like a good idea to connect my Pixma to the Draytek router, so that the laptop, the desktop, or the Linux box could all access it direct. They could, and could print - but the messages back from the printer, such as "Yellow ink running low" didn't appear on the computer that sent it to print, because the USB printer port on the router was "one way only".

After some abortive print jobs, I had to go back to connecting it to the desktop PC, and sharing it over the network, to get it to work right.

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2007, 19:55
Keef,

That's a good point that you make - I wasn't clear enough in my post, as I actually meant dedicated print servers, rather than USB ports on routers.

SD

Mr Grumps
20th Nov 2007, 18:57
I don't know about print servers but my latest all in one (Brother MFC-5840CN) runs very nicely on an ethernet cable from the router so all laptops can acess it. I didn't need the expense of a separate print server. It also has toe drawers so different paper can be loaded in each. very handy when some of my printing is done on headed paper.

Saab Dastard
20th Nov 2007, 19:23
Mr Grumps, that's because the print server is built into the printer!

SD

Mr Grumps
21st Nov 2007, 05:09
The server may be built in but the price I paid for it was a lot cheaper than buying what I needed separately. It can also be run on USB if it's needed. Does exactly what I need.

Basil
21st Nov 2007, 07:20
Don't know the current equivalent but my Canon PIXMA iP8500 produces top rate prints. Very pleased with quality and reliability.
Separate ink tanks but still a bit pricy to run and I don't know if current models have their own server and will ethernet to the router.