PDA

View Full Version : Any airline - London to Seattle....

Daysleeper
17th Nov 2007, 10:06
I have to go to Seattle in January on Business and have the choice of airline and route.

I had defaulted to BA - Direct flight of about 10 hours. However has anyone any better suggestions....

I have thought silverjet to EWR then Continental onwards, just to try out SJ or going to YVR (vancouver) and driving down, I can drop in on some friends in YVR en-route and in the past I've found US border control to be much friendlier on the land route than in the airport. (at least you get to sit in your car to que!)

open to suggestions.

PaperTiger
17th Nov 2007, 16:04
or going to YVR (vancouver) and driving down, I can drop in on some friends in YVR en-route and in the past I've found US border control to be much friendlier on the land route than in the airport.Depends how far "in the past" your experience was. They are much more strict (aka obnoxious) nowadays and there are horrendous delays (up to 4 hours) at times due in part to a lot of construction at the border. And if it happens to snow... :uhoh:

I'd fly direct, and I'd certainly avoid EWR at all costs.

The_Banking_Scot
17th Nov 2007, 18:03
Hi,

I would fly direct on BA ( maybe to YVR and drive down ) and avoid connecting on the east coast of the US followed by a 5 hour US domestic flight ( and avoid the US east coast winter weather possibly).

I think KLM/NW fly direct to SEA from AMS also.

Regards

TBS

redsnail
17th Nov 2007, 22:28
If you're going to try and beat the queues by going to Vancouver and driving across then think again. If you go the normal car route (the most logical) you're looking at 2+ hours of soul sapping queues but if you go via the truck route (slightly inland) you could be up for 45min or more....

Daysleeper
18th Nov 2007, 06:46
Thanks all, Last time I did the land crossing was 2001 when I'd been in SEA for the sim and went to Whistler for the weekend, must have crossed about lunchtime on Monday and it was very smooth, ho hum direct seatac it is.

So who has the best business cabin to SEA then?

The_Banking_Scot
18th Nov 2007, 09:31
Hi,

BA's Club World ( business ) is probably the best as the seats convert into a fully flat bed. I think some flights are operated by a 747-400 ( which should have the New Generation Club world- wider seats , AVOD) and some by the 777 ( older version of Club World but still with the flat bed. I would probably try to get on the 747-400 ( and on the Upper deck) as the Upper Deck feels more private and is only 2-2 across ( comapred to 2-4-2 on the 747 main deck and the 777). Some flyers complain about the large CW cabin on the 777 ( 48 seats) as it feels like a flying dormitory.

I personally prefer VS' Upper Classs with seats that convert into a wider and longer bed than BA but VS fly to LAX/SFO which would result in a connection being needed ( BA would fly direct)

Regards

TBS