PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing ME/IR in Spain, any advice?

Captain Punishment
17th Nov 2007, 09:01
Hi all, I am due to finish my final ATPL exams very soon and am looking to book my ME/IR, I want ths first beofre CPL to get the "big one" out of the way first and then have 10 hour knocked off of the CPL course.

I am thinking of doing the ME/IR in Spain as it is much cheaper nd weather is more consistant to complete. Spain is a JAA state and is fine to do the training as long as I add it to a UK CPL, but I just have one worry. Is a JAA Spanish IR worth the weight of one in the UK on my CV. Would an HR dept favour more an applicant with a UK IR as oppose to another JAA member state?

Oviously I would like t save money, but certainly not at the risk of potentially reducing my attractiveness to a propective airline employer.

Any experiences, thoughts, information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

dougy24
17th Nov 2007, 13:14
Hi

I have flown with someone who did there ME/IR in Spain and the training that he recieved was not good? basic stuff was not covered and he struggled with some stuff in line training, he even said that it was a mistake doing it there, as for weather, my personal experience would be if you do your IR in the UK with the weather that we have here, then you will cope quite niceley elsewhere? just my personal thoughts, but good luck whatever you decide.

PD:ok:

BlueRobin
17th Nov 2007, 14:24
If you look in the other forum (pro training) there's a long thread on training in Spain.

pipergirl
17th Nov 2007, 15:12
I did my IR in Spain and from my experience I would say to anyone, not to do it.
Instruction was quite poor and a lot of very basic stuff was not covered.
I also found the language barrier was a huge problem. I would ask a very very simple and clear question and it was not being understood. Only for the fact I brought a good few Instrument books with me, I would have been in quite a spot. When I came back from the course, I did a lot of work when I got back to get things up the standard that I was happier with.

If you don't have the cash for the training in the UK, save and get the money together.

Believe me, it is not worth the heartache.

Mercenary Pilot
17th Nov 2007, 15:44
Be aware though, there are schools like that in the UK.

willby
17th Nov 2007, 16:24
Hi,
You could also consider doing them in Ireland; similar wx conditions to UK and being a euro state cost should work out well when converting your sterling.
Willby

Captain Punishment
17th Nov 2007, 16:54
You guys, who have gad a bad experience, would you care to name these establishments so I can give them a miss?

A good English speaker or an English instructor would be my prime worry. I have multi engine time and IMC with lots of IFR hours so I'm hoping the only problem I should have is the lingo....

badboy raggamuffin
17th Nov 2007, 17:01
Am I wrong or is it ilegal to fly with screens up in spain??
not much use if you're doing IR training!

pipergirl
17th Nov 2007, 17:06
Be aware though, there are schools like that in the UK.

Schools like that anywhere tbh!

I just thought that this was in a bit of a different league altogether!

Mercenary Pilot
17th Nov 2007, 17:11
Schools like that anywhere tbh!Very true sadly. I just wanted to make the point that there are some awful schools in the UK and they are only too happy to rip you off at twice the price. :ouch:

pipergirl
17th Nov 2007, 17:20
Very good point-
like I say to anyone who asks me about flight schools;
speak to students who have been there in the previous 3 months. Make sure they have good instruction and are not charging the earth, moon and stars nor charging very little. It's about research and finding the right balance.

mlee
19th Nov 2007, 20:20
Hi, I’m out at Aerodynamics in Malaga at the mo doing my ME IR. I’ve completed 40hrs so far and been very impressed!! :D

Captain Punishment
20th Nov 2007, 23:43
mlee - Think I've be talking t your buddy M0.92 he said that you had completed your sim phase and was very impressed, this is good news and is what I hoped for.

Thanks guys, I didn't want to name the school that I was looking at doing my IR at in Spain as I wanted to see what FTO's cropped up. Aerodynamics was my choice, I have been there this year to check out facilites and they are far better than anywhere else that I have looked at.

I flew around the area, Jerez, Gib, Morroco from Malaga and all was fine including a half price IR! It has all been booked now for Feb and I can't wait!

Had some very positive PM's to support all the good feedback for Aerodyamics. I'm sure the course will be as good and professional as the people that I have met there so far and flown with.