PDA

View Full Version : VOIP Quality of Service gizmo

Ejector
17th Nov 2007, 03:41
I have been told of a little gizmo, to help a VIOP connection QoS. To look at it is small, the size of 2 match boxes, that automatically take priority to the VOIP and stops or limits downloads so you have a VOIP call.
Does anyone know much about these gizmo's or gadgets?
I have been told it cost about $20.
EJ
:ok::ok::ok:

EDITED after POST....

Found this, it is $80 on ebay, anyone know of the $20 ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-DI-102-VOIP-QOS-Adaptor-Packet-Prioritizer-NEW_W0QQitemZ230192053746QQihZ013QQcategoryZ61839QQrdZ1QQssP ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

D-LinkŪ, an industry leader in networking technology introduces the DI-102 Broadband Internet/VoIP Accelerator, a breakthrough device designed to enhance your VoIP calling experience.

Typical Internet applications such as e-mail and chat require minimal bandwidth. But other applications such as Voice over IP (VoIP) and video streaming/conferencing require much higher bandwidth as they are real-time sensitive. The DI-102 Broadband Internet/VoIP Accelerator uses an intelligent engine to detect and prioritize bandwidth-sensitive packets so that they can be sent over the Internet as soon as the request is made. This results in faster processing of real-time based packets, less latency, and a better user experience.

Product Features:

* Intelligently Prioritizes Bandwidth-Sensitive Traffic
* Ideal for Real-Time Applications such as VoIP, Video Streaming and Gaming
* Improves Call Quality and Minimizes Interruptions
* Plug and Play

For instance, there are two computers on your network and both are online - one is using an e-mail program and the other is making a VoIP call. When data packets from each computer are sent to the Internet at the same time, the DI-102 will automatically classify the VoIP call as more important and send the VoIP packets first, and the e-mail data second. The user on the phone can immediately notice the benefits whereas the user sending e-mails will barely notice a change.

Saab Dastard
17th Nov 2007, 13:06
And this device affects the rest of the internet path for the VoIP packets - how?

Not much point in sweeping the snow of your front path if the roadway is 6 feet under...

SD

bnt
17th Nov 2007, 18:39
This doesn't seem to be QoS in the sense used in networking standards: it's doing local "traffic shaping", giving priority to VOIP traffic versus other traffic. I can see it making a difference to people who are always uploading/downloading stuff e.g. Torrent users, but if I used VOIP, I would just be careful with what I was doing when making a call. But yes, you're still at the mercy of the state of the Internet: one swamped router on the way, the call will suck. :8

Ejector
19th Nov 2007, 02:26
Yep, I share a ADSL link with other people, some are heavy downloaders.

I have a frind who has told me he uses this device I have linked below, he down loads many movies, and swears by it, to kind of disable the movie down load and about 20 sec after he hangs up the VOIP phone, it gets fast again on the movie he reckons.

Thanks for all your help folks.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=216