PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL and work in Europe, or FAA ATPL and work in the US?

captainyonder
16th Nov 2007, 16:00
I've recently got engaged to my American girlfriend and it had totally passed over my head that once we're married I'll be eligible to work in the US! I already have an FAA licence (still very low hours!) but am in the process of converting it to a JAA licence at the moment. Basically we're now trying to decide whether I should move to the US and try and get work with a regional over there or whether she should move over here and I'll continue my conversion and try and get a job here instead. Ideally we want to settle in the UK, but I'd be happy to live in the US for 4 or 5 years if I could get work.

I'd really value some informed input on this matter! What are my chances as a low hours pilot in the States and is it worth me moving there?

Thanks in advance!

changeover
17th Nov 2007, 14:13
Hello,

Right now your chances of getting into a regional airline or part 135 operation is incrediable. I have heard of many regionals taking on new hires with as low as 400 total 50 multiengine. The pilot shortage has finally hit the U.S. Market, partly due to massive wage and work rule cuts that occured post 911, and that It has become very expensive to train for all of the flight ratings. A question that you might ask yourself is when the music stops playing, and it will sooner or later. Were are you willing to be in Europe or the U.S.. It's great to have options. If I can help P.M. :) A

SparksFlyHigh
19th Nov 2007, 11:16
I really want to move to the US and fly. Only problem is getting a greencard is impossible.

captainyonder
19th Nov 2007, 16:41
Yeah, I'd never even considered moving to the US until my fiance pointed out that I'd now be eligible to work over there.

mita
19th Nov 2007, 17:35
Go for it dude..Lot of jobs in the states right now... Regionals ,charters ,cargo..just take a look in climbto350.com..I´d wish I were you.. I have an FAA Atp and nowhere to go without a green card..
Now I´m wondering if converting FAA to JAR´s is really worth it or not as I have a EU passport..