PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows vista a load of crap?

badboy raggamuffin
16th Nov 2007, 10:48
Hi, due to my stupidity in breaking my laptop I need to get a new one. Problem is that they all come with windows vista, I have heard that it is rubbish and that a lot of applications dont work with it.

I have a lot of music software, cubase, etc which I got a few years ago, which I will want to use on the laptop. If it wont worlk with vista then maybe I should get a 2nd hand windows xp laptop.

Any thoughts?

airborne_artist
16th Nov 2007, 11:07
You can still buy new notebooks with XP Pro from Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.aspx?&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=xp&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&PageOffset=0&RecordOffset=0#Paging)

frostbite
16th Nov 2007, 11:40
Not only applications - hardware incompatibility can be an issue too.

Do all you can to stick with XP.

The Flying Pram
16th Nov 2007, 12:08
There are companies still selling OEM copies of XP home. Google: Power Computing & Snut UK.

Lazy Gun
16th Nov 2007, 12:44
You are entitled to a refund for the OS if you are not using it. Be warned though- it takes ages to get your money back. When I switched over to linux a few years ago I had to wait over six months to get a refund for XP that came pre-installed. You should first go to the retailer and then if that fails contact Microsoft. There is addition information here (applying to North America- couldn't find the European version):

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

LG

HuntandFish
16th Nov 2007, 14:15
If you know little about PCs Vista is good .
Some apps dont work BUT they can be sorted . lots of forums/info on the Internet .
Some aspects of H/W support are good .
If you get it stick with it you should get to like it

seacue
16th Nov 2007, 14:50
In the USA, the Small Business part of D**L offers a choice of XP Pro or Vista on about seven laptop models and a similar number of desktops. Linux is offered on some of the desktops.

mart52
16th Nov 2007, 20:59
PCs with XP are still available in the UK - on the suggestion of a friend I purchased a desktop from UK based e-buyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/) last week.
There are (as I recall) around 50 desktops with XP available, and I imagine a worthwhile selection of Laptops. (search the "Business PCs" section)
My PC arrived on the date promised at a very competitive price... and with very little third party software (crapware!) on the machine... and very easy to get started as well.
I am vey pleased with the purchase, worth a look in my opinion.
Martin

subrosa
17th Nov 2007, 01:54
Vista is POS.

I am getting a Mac.

Hambleite
17th Nov 2007, 01:58
Vista is no worse than XP. Still crashes as much...

subrosa
17th Nov 2007, 02:06
Vista crash more than xp for me. Blue screen, black screen, red screen, you ever see red screen on xp?

Enough.. :ugh: time I get a Mac.

IO540
17th Nov 2007, 07:51
Everybody I have spoken to who has got Vista finds that something, sometimes something important, doesn't work under it.

And - don't forget - a PC is no more than a machine for running applications, if you can't run the application(s) then why have it?

I would stick with XP.

At work, I stick with win2000 because everything I have works fine under it and a lot of software is no longer supported. And we run some mission-critical PCs under NT4. Some test gear, believe it or now, runs under win3.1...

Octane
17th Nov 2007, 12:49
A friend of mine turned a perfectly good computer into a slug. Installed Vista. I warned him....

BOAC
17th Nov 2007, 12:52
It is worth enjoying the video at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300287

Keef
17th Nov 2007, 17:24
Several friends of mine have bought new machines with Vista. The computer-savvy ones comments range between "just as good as XP, but different and with some clever bits" to "nightmare - I removed it."

On a brand new machine with no "legacy" peripherals (anything more than 6 months or so old) Vista is probably not going to be a problem.

The more tricky one is Office 2007. That has got so much added feature (read: bloatware) that it's a serious learning curve to find the features you want. Some aspects of Office 2003 have disappeared - I had to remove Office 2007 from a friend's PC and install Office 2003 so that she could use the auto-text stuff she'd spent years developing for her business.

If I were buying a new PC, I'd go for Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I'd like a Mac as a toy, but when I finally abandon Microsoft, it'll be to go to Linux.

makintw
18th Nov 2007, 09:28
Got a new Asus notebook here in Taiwan back in July just after they started offering XP as an option. Previously it had been Vista or nowt, but they seemed to have heard the complaints.

Couldn't face the prospect of software incompatibility, printers etc when the rest of the company are still trundling on with win 2k.

So removed Vista business and installed xp from the recovery cd supplied by Asus for less than 15 quid.

Painless

BombayDuck
18th Nov 2007, 09:55
Stick to XP Service Pack 2 as long as you can. Wait till hardware vendors have fixed their problems with Vista, and MS itself has dealt with the bugs in Vista SP1. Also, XP with 1 GB RAM runs very well, Vista will hog it. You'll have to turn off the special effects then.

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2007, 10:50
Stick to XP Service Pack 2 as long as you can.

At least until SP3!

SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.

SD

BOAC
18th Nov 2007, 11:01
1H CY2008 - any chance of that in English?:)

The Nr Fairy
18th Nov 2007, 14:48
1st Half Calendar Year 2008.

BOAC
18th Nov 2007, 15:33
.......thanks - I would NEVER have worked that out! Kind of like 'early next year' I guess:p. Surely there's a TLA for it? 'ENY'?

The Nr Fairy
18th Nov 2007, 15:45
The actual date for "1H CY 2008" is 30th June 2008 - still 1H ! Not that I'm cynical, working in the software industry myself :)

MidgetBoy
19th Nov 2007, 02:05
Well I just got my laptop from Dell, and after fixing all the major problems with it that Dell forgot to do (install drivers, update windows). And then installed all my software and removed some of the startup programs it seems okay. I'd prefer XP ofcourse, but I don't hate Vista too much.

Blacksheep
23rd Nov 2007, 07:37
First half of calendar year 2008 I guessed correctly. :8

But surely 'Calendar Year' is the standard? FY2007/8 seems reasonable but CY2008 is 2008, end of story...:hmm:

seacue
23rd Nov 2007, 10:55
I am the volunteer computer mechanic for a non-profit organization. I maintain and enhance both the hardware and software. All of the membership and donation databases are kept in DOS-based software. It is solid, reliable and has worked with OpSys from MSDOS through XP.

I hear that DOS-based programs will not work with Vista. Is that true?

seacue

Saab Dastard
23rd Nov 2007, 13:19
DOS-based programs will not work with Vista.
Yes and no - it may be possible for some to run in windows in Vista, but you can't get full-screen.

You may find that some DOS programs will run in an emulator such as DOSBOX or similar.

Perhaps the best approach is to test each application, although there doesn't seem to be a free evaluation download of Vista to test with.

SD

NeoDude
23rd Nov 2007, 16:10
Thumbs up for Vista from me. Had no issues whatsoever. It's a dream to work with once you disable UAC, had no crashes or errors in the last 4 months since I installed it.

Coconutty
23rd Nov 2007, 16:19
OK - Go on then - "UAC" ? ? ? :confused:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

Gonzo
23rd Nov 2007, 16:25
User Account Control.........with it turned on, Vista will ask 'are you sure you want to do this?' a lot.

BOAC
23rd Nov 2007, 16:27
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Coconutty
23rd Nov 2007, 16:34
Thanks Gonzo,

I think I'm sure I wouldn't want to do it a lot, but maybe occasionally :ok:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

frostbite
23rd Nov 2007, 16:42
Good grief!

A nanny computer as well as a nanny State.

bnt
23rd Nov 2007, 17:23
Well, yes - the idea is to seek confirmation, from the user, before doing anything potentially damaging.

If you agree to it, or turn UAC off, you brought it on yourself, whatever it was. It's the operating system equivalent of "caution: may contain nuts" on half the items on the shelves in Tesco: easy for them to do, as a get-out in case anyone complains or threatens legal action.

Of course, you may ask why a user needs do anything potentially damaging in the first place, and that brings up the old conflict between "being secure" and "getting things done". :rolleyes:

challenger300
23rd Nov 2007, 17:43
I have a Samsung Q35 laptop/notebook with Vista and as yet I have had no serious problems - The only one was with Jeppview which I had to go into as an administrator to get the online updates working properly - otherwise I am very happy with it. I must say that I do not do music so cannot vouch for Vista in this area although it has music on it and it works fine! Good luck

Shunter
24th Nov 2007, 19:47
I (MCT, CNI, CCIE, RHCA you get the picture), sat down this evening with my MacBook Pro. I decided to boot up my clean, updated, install of Vista with Office 2007 and proceed to work on and amend a word doc someone had sent me.

Word crashed every time I opened it, then proceeded to plaster "Windows is searching for a solution to the problem", and "Word is crashing repeatedly" messages all over the screen. After 2 reboots it opened cleanly, then imploded 10 minutes down the line. Despite it assuring me it was autosaving, nothing in the temp directories. Fucкing garbage.

I rebooted to OSX, opened a terminal window and typed sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda3 then worked with no further disturbance on said document using the free (and excellent) NeoOffice whilst the infinitely superior Unix operating system quietly obliterated the bug-riddled, hack-job pile of Micro$oft wank that the unenlightened would describe as an operating system.

I'm ashamed to be an MCSA, MCSA, MCT etc etc... Vista is a sack of ****.

Gonzo
24th Nov 2007, 20:34
I'm sure we all applaud your ability to express yourself in an adult way.:D

Parapunter
24th Nov 2007, 20:59
UAC is an ache, but click click it's gone. Vista for me has been nothing but a pleasure.

vanderaj
25th Nov 2007, 04:41
I hear that DOS-based programs will not work with Vista. Is that true?

For 64 bit machines, you cannot run DOS programs. They removed the Win16 and DOS box completely as there's no way to make real mode programs run under x64 mode. Win64 has a residual 16 bit stub for installers as some old CDs use a 16-bit Win3.x setup bootstrapper. Windows knows what those few programs look like and what it is trying to achieve and will then fire up the real Win32 version of the installer. That's the total extent of the 16 bit compatibility mode left in Vista. Windows 2008 Server does not have even that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282423

For 32 bit machines, Vista's 16 bit mode and DOS box is still there, but ... for how long? Few customers would be using it, and I doubt the next post-Vista consumer Windows will have any 16 bit support.

It's really time to move with the times. All processors sold by Intel and AMD are now 64 bit capable. Microsoft Windows Server 2008 will be the last 32 bit version of Windows Server, and then it'll be 64 bit only.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/05/18/on-64-bit-and-windows-client.aspx

There may be one more consumer version of Windows 32 (currently called Windows 7), but if there's the same sort of delay between XP and Vista, that is by no means certain as in seven years, there will be nothing but 64 bit computers left.

For more info about the x64 transition:

http://www.microsoft.com/servers/64bit/overview.mspx

If you're still using DOS boxes, I suggest using Citrix on top of 32 bit Win2k3 R2, and then letting the clients choose any old platform, including Mac or Linux or the hardened little Wyse wireless terminals. That works real well - my local hospital uses this and it seems to work just fine for them.

Andrew
(who is typing from a Mac, and loving it).

seacue
25th Nov 2007, 09:44
Thank you Vanderaj.

seacue

Gonzo
25th Nov 2007, 09:55
As mentioned above, the open source DOS emulator DOSBox is available, and there is a Vista compatible version.

bnt
25th Nov 2007, 10:24
So we have people reporting great experiences, and people reporting horrible experiences. How can this be? I have a theory, as you might expect. Apologies in advance for length... :8

Vista was "rushed out": which might be a strange thing to say, considering it was expected a year before it arrived. The hardware manufacturers have a lot to do with it, in my opinion. I ran two separate Vista installs, though both are gone, and had drastically different experiences:

- home PC with AMD64, NForce4-based motherboard, GeForce 6600 video. I installed the 64-bit version, not long after Vista was released. As you can imagine, hardware support was a big problem: video OK, but it was months before NVidia released any Vista-specific drivers. I have "only" 2GB in this PC, and I found Vista to be a hog. It spent a lot of time writing to disk (which was a bit old), even after I stopped Indexing services. Since I use that PC to run a few games and as a "backup server" for my laptop, it doesn't need Vista or a 64-bit OS, so I've had XP SP2 back on for 6 months now.

- At work, months after the Vista release, the IT company I worked put out a beta of their internal Vista release, for business laptops. I installed it and had very few problems over the next 6 months before I left the company. Remote access (VPN) worked great, and it actually seemed faster than XP. A very old Window applications had a couple of interface problems, but nothing that stopped work. It was a business laptop, with a slightly old graphics chipset that Intel said they would not release full 3D graphics support for.

In both cases I had the well-documented problems copying large numbers of files in Explorer: I "worked around" the issue, as I tend to do: using a freeware Norton Commander clone. or the command line e.g. XCOPY and ROBOCOPY.

So I don't think it's as simple as "Vista is crap" - it never is. The work my company put in really made a difference, and other PC manufacturers can do the same. What I want to see from Microsoft in particular is testing, testing, and more testing, and a Service Pack that tightens the whole experience considerably.

That's why I say Vista was rushed out, despite being used internally at Microsoft - what they call "eating their own dog food" - it hasn't been enough, in my opinion. On the other hand, our varying experiences illustrate the role that hardware manufacturers have to play, because so much of the Vista experience depends on how well it works with a huge range of hardware.

seacue
25th Nov 2007, 13:33
Gonzo,

I've run DOSbox on XP just to see how it runs. Runs??? Walks would be a better description. I would imagine that the combination of Vista and DOSbox could work as a last resort, but it would be slow on "lesser" hardware.

DOSbox is slow since it does a full emulation of the X86 instruction set as well as DOS. I gather that there is somewhere something to allow running DOS applications on X86 hardware that just intercepts the DOS calls and uses the underlying X86 hardware instead of emulating it.

seacue

5711N0205W
25th Nov 2007, 17:11
I have been running Vista for 3 months now, admittedly on quite a powerful machine (Dell XPS Quad Core).

In the early days I was considering throwing it away and putting XP on the box, 3 months in and having got round the UAC niggle (which is not actually a bad idea if you consider the rationale behind it) I'm quite happy to keep Vista.

There is nothing I have tried to do with it that I have not been able to in terms of software or peripherals although I believe this has not been the universal experience.

5minMax
28th Nov 2007, 17:06
Microsoft is the only company I know that spends billions of $ in development to make products that are more obnoxious with each generation.

The reason seems to be that MSFT is playing to the parasites. These mostly are the advertising and marketing schemes that benefit from knowing everything possible about their sales prospect in giant databases.

The customer who pays for software with money and time, just seems to get the ever more finely targeted shaft. A trap thats easy to get in, can't get out.

BOAC
3rd Dec 2007, 16:51
Well. having read the threads on Vista here I'm not really much wiser! My problem is Mrs B has declared she would like a basic laptop for Xmas. Standalone thing just needing a wifi internet link, Word etc. I cannot find any 'good deals' for XP Pro laptops any more - the cheap ones are all punting 'Vista Premium'. As cheap as £250 for an HP machine. I am looking at a 512mb/80GB wireless machine which will more than do what she needs with XP.

Here's the big problem - No 1 son (ITwhiz:rolleyes:) has threatened 'violence' :) if I get a Vista machine (I use XP Pro). His latest go at 'Dad' is

Vista doesn't work.

Our test machine here:

1) Failed to copy files from one drive to another. I ended up using DOS xcopy instead.
2) Crashed and froze when burning a CD
3) Search function is random.

It is slow and useless. I wouldn't use it, and most certainly wouldn't buy any PC with it on until at least Service Pack 2 maybe SP3.

It really is a complete and utter pile of rubbish.

Oh, it also needs at least 2Gb of ram to run it.

Which is kind of - final.:{

The question - will it run satisfactorily on that spec and/or should I hunt around for an XP machine? Maybe buy a cheap Vista, unload the install onto CDROM and put XP on?

......and yes, to my amazement, he did type 'rubbish':)

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2007, 18:34
BOAC,

If you have access to XP installation media (and a license), then you can presumably buy what you want, irrespective of what pre-installed OS there is on it.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother backing up Vista before trashing it and installing either XP or Ubuntu.

Anything for familial harmony!

Oh yes - if you have got an XP installation CD, make SEVERAL backup copies!! :ouch: I have 2 backup copies of mine, just in case.

SD

ps - I think that your son and I would get along very well! What an excellent summary of Vista.

BOAC
3rd Dec 2007, 19:41
2 back-ups - good advice I fancy! The only reason for backing up a Vista installation would be to keep the licence for when...............

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but is reloading XP on a Vista laptop just a case of reformat and install, or are there traps lurking for the unwary?

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2007, 21:06
but is reloading XP on a Vista laptop just a case of reformat and install,

Yes

are there traps lurking for the unwary?

No

SD

jason_slf
4th Dec 2007, 00:00
It may not be as easy to install XP on a laptop supplied with Vista as you think - at work we had some Sony Vaio laptops delivered with Vista preinstalled. We were going to wipe them to install XP but couldn't as XP wouldn't detect the hard disk in them!

Searched on Vaio link but Sony don't supply XP drivers for laptops preinstalled with Vista so couldn'y even get XP installed let alone the extra drivers!

Other manufacturers may supply drivers but its something to watch out for so be careful and make sure you have install/repair disks (with Sony Vaio's and some other brands you have to make your own) before you try to install XP.

As for my opinions of Vista - well I hated it at first but am slowly starting to get used to it. Have no desire to move off XP till I'm forced to though.

Switching off UAC definetly helps but it still has some annoying traits - copying a shortcut to the All Users desktop becomes a struggle (after you find where the all users folder is hidden if you try to copy a shortcut straight from a network drive it will fail but will work if you copy to your desktop first then from there to all users desktop).

Also it seems like Microsoft have tried too hard to make it different from XP (moving things about / changing standard pratices etc) in order to try and convince people to upgrade. As an example in XP, NT, 2000 etc you can log in to a network PC without using the mouse (Alt-U then type username, Alt-P then type password, press enter). On Vista this is a struggle as there are no keyboard shortcuts for this.

I'm just glad the powers that be at my work decided not to roll out Vista this year - wish me luck next summer!

Jay

cribble
5th Dec 2007, 04:48
:mad: Back on the origial question:
I run Vista Ultimate on a desktop and on a laptop. In both cases I find it a fascist piece of sh1t.

If you can use Linux, do so. If you can't, go to XP SP2 until further gatesware drags you, kicking and screaming, to Vista.

RMV

Mac the Knife
5th Dec 2007, 05:36
"....should I hunt around for an XP machine?"

Get a good preinstalled Linux certified laptop.

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

It'll do all she needs to do and more.

Mac

Alternatively, buy her a MacBook

:ok:

makintw
5th Dec 2007, 06:14
Apparently Vista is still under construction :eek:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/04/microsoft-slammed-attacking

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/04/vista_piracy/

comments make interesting reading

bnt
5th Dec 2007, 09:12
I think I'll have to refrain from commenting on Vista any further: it's six months since I removed it from my systems and went back to XP. The only way I'll get it again is if it comes as standard on a laptop, and even that's unlikely. Until then, I'm talking through my ... ear ... when it comes to the current state of Vista. :hmm:

I think it has potential, on future hardware, but I'm basing that on my XP experience - I had very few problems, mostly hardware-related, and none since SP2 came out. My hardware is old and "settled" now, with solid XP driver support. But I could be wrong about that - e.g. this (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/04/microsoft-slammed-attacking).

I've spent so much time with UNIX systems now that I think that's the way to go. Linux for me, but I can see how Mac OS X makes sense as a "friendly UNIX". I don't think they should be taking credit for the security benefits they gained by choosing a UNIX architecture, but I expect nothing less from Apple these days. :rolleyes:

tubby linton
5th Dec 2007, 09:25
Did you know they put this in it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7126902.stm

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2007, 11:08
It would not surprise me if MS attempt to use XP SP3 to "cripple" XP to make it as slow as Vista. In an attempt to "persuade" people to upgrade. Of course it would be dressed up as "Security".

And then force SP3 by making MS Updates (and even apps) only available for SP3...

I'm not saying that they will, just that it wouldn't surprise me at all.

SD

5711N0205W
5th Dec 2007, 11:21
Ignore my post 44 above, I was suffering from a momentary delusion, my other thread on this forum will explain.

Avoid Vista like the plague.......

Mac the Knife
5th Dec 2007, 15:35
"It would not surprise me if MS attempt to use XP SP3 to "cripple" XP......."

I predicted this some time ago and it would be well in line with MS's approach. But whether they would dare to I'm not so sure, for

a) There are so many eyes on MS that it would be rapidly detected and publicised (not that MS care but the DOJ might).

b) It would accelerate the flight to other increasingly popular non-MS OSes such as Linux, OpenSolaris, BSD and Mac. Better that the punters should use XP rather than that.

c) Early tests of SP3 beta releases show a speed increase of 5-7% over SP2.

:ok:

Hambleite
19th Dec 2007, 00:00
Having used Vista for about six months now, on a far superior machine than my old XP dinosaur, I have come to the conclusion that it is f:mad:ing slow. Just asking it to switch on seems to send it in to convulsions. Going to buy a Mac and burn this S:mad:t thing I have. On a side note, Samsung laptops are quite robust. Mine has flown across the room several times now...:*

exeng
19th Dec 2007, 07:54
I have just given up on Vista for reasons similar to yours, very slow on a fairly hi spec machine plus various driver and software issues.

I've now set up dual booting with XP on one drive and Vista on another. I'm keeping Vista to see how any 'improvements' may work out in practice.

Regards
Exeng

Parapunter
19th Dec 2007, 08:30
It's probably fair to say that Vista wins the Turkey of the year award for 2007, narrowly beating the Western Digital NAS box that won't store any kind of media lest it be pirated:p

However, my Vista machine is superior to my XP boxes in every way & I'm delighted (so far) with it. It's homebuilt though & I made it with Vista in mind - E440 dual core, 2 gigs ddr2 & nearly 850 gigs hdd on an Asus P5L-VM mobo & it flies along, absolutely no problems at all, except for sleep. There's a known issue where just about any background process will wake it up, so you can't put it into sleep mode, fix due SP1 apparently.

It seems to me from this thread that Vista is just fine, provided it's on the right machine, yet my guess is MS have cajoled, coerced & enticed the volume suppliers into shoe horning it into new boxes irrespective of the suitability of the system.

tradewind
21st Dec 2007, 07:14
Gents

A quick question to you Vista users if I may?

I'm looking to buy a Sony Vaio which is only supplied with Vista - never used it and am quite happy with XP.

The ability of running Vista and XP side-by-side on the same machine (avoiding uninstalling Vista) - if you boot the machine up using XP - will it perform completely as if Vista wasn't on the computer, or is the system still slowed down by Vistas presence? (excluding the extra HD space an extra OS would use).

Duffer question I know, but I'm easily confused.

PyroTek
21st Dec 2007, 07:32
having more data on a hard drive generally slows down any PC. However, if you dual boot XP and Vista it shouldn't make a difference to the speed of XP.

And to do with the earlier posts.. I got rid of my vista home premium after about a month, it was just wasting my laptops battery and idled still using half a gig of RAM.
such crap for a bit of eye candy

Saab Dastard
21st Dec 2007, 10:08
such crap for a bit of eye candy

Ah now be fair, there's lots of new features besides the Aero interface that are slowing it down and rendering it user unfriendly. ;)

SD

owen purday
21st Dec 2007, 12:47
I have no problem with it... Performs nice for me, looks good and does everything I need.

PyroTek
21st Dec 2007, 15:23
mmm... i liked the Windows Calendar! that was useful.

frostbite
21st Dec 2007, 16:39
In which case it will probably be removed by SP1.

PyroTek
22nd Dec 2007, 02:20
probably. :)

apparently file transfers are a crapload faster in SP1, i wonder where M$ went wrong?

Parapunter
22nd Dec 2007, 07:24
One can turn off all sorts of unnecessary services in Vista to speed it up exponentialy, such as the pointless never ending indexing search thingy, however, one agrees that obe shouldn't have to do so - it should chug along out of the box - and it doesn't. It's a tweakers delight instead.:rolleyes:

frostbite
22nd Dec 2007, 11:46
Vista did in fact win the equivalent of the 'Turkey of the Year Award' in PC World's end of year horrors list.

Quelle surprise!

Wing Commander Fowler
26th Dec 2007, 22:01
Tradewind. Just a precautionary word regarding Vaio's and Vista. I put vista on my sony t1xp which was supplied by sony with xp as an os. Immediately I had problems ranging from wireless utility, bluetooth, hotkeys non functioning and more. Sony refused to assist so I took a look at the club viao forum and discovered that my plight was nothing compared to many others who were supplied units with vista pre-installed. They had similar problems and sony have washed their hands of them stating that it was microsofts problem....... Despite having a liking for all things sony this has made me very wary of them.

I'm sure there are others who are delighted with sony but for the money I would have expected a little better service.

PingDit
8th Jan 2008, 13:50
I've had an Acer Aspire 5610Z for around 6 months now. Dual core (T2060), with 2Gb DDR RAM. Works fine except for when it decides to lock up, which is on a daily basis. Anyone found a fix for this?

tallsandwich
10th Jan 2008, 17:21
Started with Vista on a new Laptop. Took a bit of working through the cr@p I don't need and turning it all off but so far it looks like HP did a good job on the packaged OS build and I think that this is the reason why I had a good experience. Most of the bloatware was from M$, HP only included a couple of programs in the build.

Only real issue I have is that Outlook 2003 on Vista cannot connect to a Microsoft Exchange Server as it did when running on Win2k - so after having migrated all my office settings (worked fine) I have to sort out that issue, there are still a few possible solutions so although annoying it is not a show stopper.

Cleaning up in general took a bit of effort (don't want M$ applications in my face at the top of the list of the Start Menu and Side Bar junk or UAC) but to be honest getting the OS to look like I wanted it (and configure the services I wanted or did not want) took no longer than resetting the application configurations to my norms after I had installed all my apps and tools I use. I know Mac does this config migration for you automatically when you install on a new machine and connect your old one but I have a wide range of apps and with that choice and diversity comes the effort of setting all the preferred options, there is no free lunch in this world. For some apps I just copied config files over.

I'm now on a machine that is now tidier and more refined than XP (that I use on another machine) or Win2K and doing what I did before. Having said that, I would eat my dog before I performed an OS upgrade to Vista, I think it's a fresh install type of change that is the right time to choose to leave XP (such as I did when a change of hardware occurred). I'd love to see this happen on Windows as smoothly as a Mac "can" do it (if all goes well) but as I have stated elsewhere the relatively poor range choice of Mac software makes the effort I just described above wothwhile, for the moment, in order to preserve my massive range of application choice. Anyway, I've got VMWare Workstation installed.

Hardware I used was an HP dv9670ed: 4Gb RAM (Vista only uses 3.1 of this) and 2GHz Dual Core Intel Processor.

My summary, "Acceptable, M$ could do better".

Stripholderloader
10th Jan 2008, 20:10
Needed a laptop and I was going to buy one without an OS and install XP on it. However, came across an HP one in the sales at a very reasonable price, the only probelm being it was loaded with Vista premium.
Decided to buy it and I have to say that so far, and much to my surprise, I am getting on very well with it. A few things to turn off etc as previously mentioned but at the moment I like it :8
Regards
SHL

frostbite
14th Jan 2008, 16:45
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002982,39291204,00.htm

Saab Dastard
14th Jan 2008, 17:36
My favourite line in the "Vista's first year leaves little to celebrate" article:

Vista's not bad, it's just pointless

:D :)

SD

d71146
14th Jan 2008, 19:00
Does anyone have any idea when the Service Pack 1 for Vista may become available as I understand it includes a lot of fixes for many of the bugs etc ?

Bally Heck
14th Jan 2008, 20:28
If you are considering abandoning Microsoft due to Vista issues and buying a Mac. DONT!!!

Long term Mac users will tell you that excessive sales of Macs will encourage virus and spyware writers to focus their attention on our beloved machines and sooner or later one of them may succeed in writing something nasty.

Please stick to your highly advanced machines based on NT technology. Whatever the flaws, you have stuck with them so far. Don't abandon Microsoft!

I thank you.

green granite
14th Jan 2008, 20:43
does anyone know when SP1 is to be released

It's already available as a "release candidate" download from microsoft, but reading the report on it in this months PC Pro it doesn't appear to do a lot.
Their tests showed very little improvement after the installation of SP1.

"It improves the file copying speed significantly, it now shuts down 7 secs faster than before and it took 35mins to install the service pack as opposed to
10mins for SP3 for XP. XP with SP3 installed it still faster than Vista"

BOAC
14th Jan 2008, 21:18
No 1 Son tells me that his work "Let's try Vista for a laugh" machine warned him that a particular file copy would take "122 days".

I'll let you know in May how it went.