PDA

View Full Version : Foreign PPL vs JAA PPL (Cost vs.Time)

Scoobster
15th Nov 2007, 23:23
Ok, so heres the thing.... I have been thinking that it is probably time to get started, the modular way is the most suited due to lifestyle, work commitments etc and will allow me to keep the goal in sight! however, I am in a bit of a 'pickle' (if I can call it that) with regards to initial UK CAA Class 1medical etc..

Currently no class 1 (intend to go up to ATPL - ideally JAA - but FAA/TC if CAA continue to be :mad:)

My current consulting job in the city, means my current lifestyle would only dictate taking 35 days off to try and do PPL in U.S.A/Canada... I am sure even with the Theory passed before hand this would be quite tight?

...and that would be reduced down to 5 days, which would be taken out to visit the school, or potentially go in 'blind' - (without visiting)

I recognise the cost savings made in U.S are significantly cheaper, however it boils down to 'Cost vs. Time to Complete (vacation time)' debate.
I have been looking into schools in the U.K.

I live in East London with Stapleford being the nearest flight school (30 mins (max)) - but a hefty tag for the PPL £6450.

No recent experiences posted about PPL in Staplefordthe school.

The other options are schools in the Cranfield area (3 hour - round trip from my home) -BillinsAir, Bonus, FlyTeam, etc, which all seem reasonable outfits.
BillinsAir currently offer PPL at £5k!

Elstree aerodrome with the likes of Firecrest etc is also close by and southend is slightly further afield..

I am after friendly, professional instructors, good availability of a/c, and quality of training to set the benchmark for the rest of the training.

Plan to do 2 hours sat & sun for about 3 months (give or take)...sound feasible??

JAA PPL Theory - Use PPL Study Packs - Trever Thom etc... Any recommendations on how long I could do this in?

Along side work I am allowing about 3-4 weeks.

So the draft plan is...
1) JAA PPL (albeit it at a higher cost) £5k
2) Endorse JAA PPL with FAA/TC
3) Medical Flight Test UK and FAA
4) Hours Build - FAA or TC - 35 days at a time should be enough to hour build?!

then take the rest as it comes...

Any advice?
Should I try and squeeze in FAA/TC flight training in 30 days or pay the higher cost for JAA PPL?

and then do hours build in U.S etc

Oh and eventually the aim would be to work in JAA Land... so yes I know there are a lot of variables coming into play :}

The other option is wait for a couple of years before I can take a sabatical from work - however, the argument against that is that I could probably be done and dusted if I do this around work and get started now..

Thanks in Advance!

Scoobster

Scoobster
16th Nov 2007, 09:42
68 views and not one reply...

Mesmerised by it all huh :}

Whirlygig
16th Nov 2007, 10:20
No, not mesmerised but it's a difficult thing on which to advise plus the question has been asked before.

Personally, I would stick to the UK. You can train at weekends/evenings and still keep some annual leave. However, I get the impression that you want to do this as quickly as possible. I'm afraid it's your decision as only you know your job, circumstances and attitudes.

Whichever way you look at it, it's not going to be cheap and you may want to factor in a saving for time and convenience.

Cheers

Whirls

Scoobster
16th Nov 2007, 10:58
Hey Whirly...

I was just being comical :) yes, it is quite a difficult to advise but I think I might just be able to swing taking a couple of weeks of unpaid leave in addition to my vacation to do it in the U.S or Canada.

Am just weighing up the pros and cons of cost etc...

Thanks

Cobalt
16th Nov 2007, 14:05
My initial thoughts

1) No CAA medical - pointless to progress to CPL / IR here. The real reason for this is the theory, if you go pure FAA, don't even think about doing JAA theory.

2) PPL, IR, and CPL can be done weekends only while holding down a job, but it takes loooong. My PPL took 5 months, IR over half a year. The most frustating aspect is that weather and aircraft tech hit you much harder - you lose a week, not a day each time. Hourbuilding will also be a bit harder, but that is probably a holiday thing to do.

3) Do pick a school at reasonable driving distance. You don't want to miss your slots due to stupid traffic, you want to be able to make use of the unpopular Sunday 8 am slot without having to get up at 4 am (which would be good training for you life as airline pilot, but otherwise a real pain). From east London - Stapleford, Elstree, Biggin, probably in this order. Not further.

4) If you go abroad & do it there, fine, many do it. Biggest risk is not finishing in time and having your back against a wall. A lot of unpaid leave, though...

More per PM

Hope that helps
C.

modern monkey
16th Nov 2007, 14:12
You can do yer PPL in apparently 3 weeks in Florida.....

3 weeks, say one day off a week 18 days. 45 hour ppl, say 55 with 10 hrs contingency in case you need it.........

comes out at just over 3 hrs of flying per day.......

jmteh
16th Nov 2007, 20:27
Scoobster, check your PM.

Cheers.

xbilz
22nd Nov 2007, 20:33
Scoobster ..,

I am exactly in the same position like you. I would prefer not to go to US but the prices in UK are very high. Can I also benefit from someone's suggestions/advice? A while ago I posted something similar but people did tell me that even 5 weeks for PPL is too tight !!! and that I should pass my theory before hand.

I am going for my class 1 medical on the 27th of this month. Even NZ option is good but I cannot take 5 weeks off work !!! :(

Scoobster
23rd Nov 2007, 11:09
xbilz - Check your PM