PDA

View Full Version : Northern Irish in the RAF's fast-jets

tuscarora
14th Nov 2007, 22:46
Hey, first post (been lurking a while though and reading up on the wealth of information), and starting a thread which I'm sure will have many of the 'already-there' pilots chewing on their knuckles in weary frustration.
I'm very keen to join the RAF as a fast-jet pilot (which you may have gathered from the title, not that you could have guessed, what with me having gone for such an original and unpredictable choice of flying career) - and I'm pretty damn sure I've got the aptitude for it, though of course that's only half the story. I've looked into the path from AFCO to cockpit and all the hurdles along the way, however before I did the research I'd always had the impression that the RAF was an 'old boys' club.
To cut my rambling post to the overdue chase - being from Belfast in Northern Ireland, assuming I'm good enough, will they ever let me near the fast jets?
Or is it no paddies allowed near the expensive machines?
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm hoping that it's a level playing field and there ain't no institutionalised brick walls I'm'a run headlong into!

Ed Winchester
14th Nov 2007, 22:52
Assuming you are good enough, then yes they will! RAF pilots come from all walks of life and all parts of the UK and beyond.

And thank you for writing an eloquent first post, hopefully we will not have to endure the standard 'have to work on your grammar and punctuation' guff.

Runaway Gun
14th Nov 2007, 22:53
If you have the correct attitude, qualifications and medical attributes, and do extremely well in your Officer Training and Pilot training, there is no reason you cannot do it. Many have done so before you. Best of luck. :ok:

saudipc-9
15th Nov 2007, 02:17
Judging by the RAF exchange officer we have herein Canada, the RAF will let anyone fly!
Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself!:E

U.K. SUBS.
15th Nov 2007, 03:25
I do know of guys who were flying with Queen's University Air SQDN quite some time ago and yes, got onto fast jet purely on merit. On a historical note, i seem to recall the most decorated fighter pilot, (ww2) was a 'Paddy'. Good luck to you.

BluntM8
15th Nov 2007, 07:08
Tus'

Know a chap from around your way who's just been role disposed to the Typhoon after a very sucessful FJ training. Go for it!

Blunty

Widger
15th Nov 2007, 07:13
Plenty of Northern Irish, from both sides of the community in all areas of the Armed Forces including one who used to be a Sea Harrier pilot:{:{:{:{ cue WEBF

Wensleydale
15th Nov 2007, 07:15
I had heard that the Royal Air Force was to be merged with the Royal Irish Fusiliers as a cash saving initiative.

It will be known as the RIF-RAF. (So no change there.......)

:yuk:

Satellite_Driver
15th Nov 2007, 07:17
Can't recall his name right now, but we once had an AOC's visit from an Air Vice-Marshal whose accent lay somewhere between Ian Paisley and John Cole.

RUCAWO
15th Nov 2007, 07:39
There are plenty of RAF pilots from NI,one of the first pilots on Typhoon was a former cadet from Lisburn,Mike Lecky the BBMF Lancaster pilot is from NI and there are and have been countless others including at least one Red Arrow pilot in the 80s. I have two cadets going to OASC later this month and neither have had anything less than full support from the AFCO at Palace.

Zoom
15th Nov 2007, 09:20
A Red Arrows leader was also from NI; he went to my old school there. Oh, and I joined from NI as well and had 20 years FJ, and I followed another old school boy in who also did 20 years FJ. We're British, remember, and probably more proud to be British than some of those who live - well - north of England.

BEagle
15th Nov 2007, 09:21
RFK - a well know Nor'n Ir'n Lightning/JP QFI/VC10K/TriStar/Jetstream QFI was always great fun to fly with!

Just before jumping out of a Lightning for (I think) the second time, he set the Dublin ILS into the autopilot and aimed the jet in the direction of the 'Free Staters' before pulling the B&Y!

Nil nos tremefacit
15th Nov 2007, 12:07
I've flown with Irish from north and south - 230 Sqn had a a Prod pilot from the north and a Catholic from the south when I was there. I remember a 617 pilot from the Republic. Lots of Irish in the RAF and all competing on a level playing field.

Dunhovrin
15th Nov 2007, 12:40
Toscarora,

As others have said the quality of the English in your posting has given you a great headstart over most of the illiterate chimps who post here. D'ye see what a proper education system does? Long live the 11+.

But seriously, I've worked with tonnes of Paddys (it doesn't matter which side you're from you all get called Paddy [apart from good old Proddy]) and they invariably make excellent officers and pilots and generally kick the arses of the English at Mess Rugby.

Go for it and Good Luck. Remember - you're not Brazil you're Norn Iron.

PS Not that I'm biased as a born-again Ulsterman.

tuscarora
15th Nov 2007, 16:31
First of all, thanks everyone for the replies! That's exactly the kinda stuff I wanted to hear. Cheerrs 4 teh type gd speak well smart compilmnts ;) Internet English (Intglish?) is painful at times.
Haha, BluntM8, that's especially good news about being posted to the Typhoon squadron - that's my goal (aim high, eh?).
Thanks for the pointer Mike, I have to work on my fitness (an over fondness of beer and cigarettes is my undoing..) before I apply to AFCO for an interview. Although I did have my eye test just at the beginning of this week and it turns out what I thought was a debilitating blurriness and plain 'can't-see-****' in my left eye is er.. well.. not much at all and I'm well within the requirements! So it's fitness and weights time now. I'm aiming to be a good bit fitter/stronger than the requirements, hoping it'll help my chances for fast-jet.
BEagle "Just before jumping out of a Lightning for (I think) the second time, he set the Dublin ILS into the autopilot and aimed the jet in the direction of the 'Free Staters' before pulling the B&Y!" - HAH!!
Aye I remember from studying over in London for a while, we're all paddies! There are definitely some from our wee isle that take it too seriously, like its a serious indictment of their character or something! I just enjoy the free drinks ["oh you're irish, want a guinness?"].

Charlie Luncher
15th Nov 2007, 19:27
Little dude
The only issue I ever had was with a cock of a Wg CDR Admin wallah who did have a grudge, just showed him my pay slip and walked away. Mess rugby is a great levelling tool. The little whisper in someone's ear telling them "I know where you live" or "how's business would you like it to be booming":D. And then there is the English girls/nurses, they appear quite frustrated with the local lads:ok:. Did not fly FJ but when you can out FOX an F3 it is more fun to fly big jets with you own travelling party team.
Charlie sends
Ulster warrior of old

ChockIce
15th Nov 2007, 20:22
Zoom - your post does little to enhance cross border relations (even though your refer to another border). 38 years of Op Banner was the result of stereotypical thought.