PDA

View Full Version : London Met Problems?

eurocopter beans
14th Nov 2007, 21:01
This is not rumour mongering or bitching on my behalf but can anyone tell me if there is any truth to a story i heard recently about the Londin Mets' 145s... Story goes they are prohibited from operating over london from 0200 to 0700, also that their fastroping was stopped by the chaps at the CAA. I trust some of if not all of this is rubbish, otherwise they really did buy turkeys. Can turkeys fly?

tigerfish
14th Nov 2007, 22:57
I believe there may be a problem with the CAA regarding "Fast Roping" authorisations etc, but mainly because as far as I am aware no application to do so has yet been formulated. The machines were purchased with a view to the future not necessarily today!
I am unaware of any night restrictions such as you suggest & would be surprised. But will follow up.
New enterprises such as this will always be subject of such rumours, often from those with an axe to grind!
Tigerfish:

Helinut
15th Nov 2007, 12:40
I have no specific information about the suggestions made.
However, the main cause of noise from the police heles (and others) in and around London is that they are forced down to low altitudes by ATC restrictions, ensuring that they maintain standard IFR separation from the airlines. In the period 0200 to 0700 Heathrow is mainly closed so there is no significant airline traffic. Police and other heles operating in the LHR zone in this period usually will get clearances that do not incude low altitude limits. For this reason they should normally present much less of a noise footprint to those on the ground.
If such a limit was introduced it would surely apply to all helicopters, in which case it would be published in NOTAMs AIP etc. I therefore think it unlikely, but someone may actually know..........
As far as the fast roping and winching kit is concerned, the last time I talked to guys from the Met Unit at Helitech, they were concentrating on getting it operating well for normal police work, so I suspect Tigerfish is correct about the special gear and ops. The special ops are very sexy and often seen in movies. However, if needed at all they are only needed once in every blue moon.

Historically, the Met has had more noise trouble with those who live around their base at Lippitts than over London itself

paco
15th Nov 2007, 15:54
Off thread, I know, but if anyone from the Met unit is reading this, could they PM me? There's a police unit I know that is wondering what they are really like before they start talking to Eurocopter. For example, can they comfortably take 6 heavy guys with all their gear?

cheers

Phil

What Limits
15th Nov 2007, 19:58
The Police Unit in question should talk to the Met direct. Yes - the 145 can take lots of passengers and gear, but you can't hover and you can't fly for more than a few minutes.

Don't talk to EC, they won't lie but they won't tell the whole truth either!