PDA

View Full Version : CHC in Burma....have you heard?

rumline
14th Nov 2007, 19:59
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada will tighten existing sanctions against Myanmar after the military junta's recent clampdown on demonstrators, Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier said on Wednesday

Bernier said Canada would:

* ban all exports to Myanmar, except for humanitarian goods, and bar all imports

* freeze Canadian assets of Myanmar citizens connected with the junta

* prohibit the provision of Canadian financial services and the export of technical data to Myanmar

* ban new investment by Canadian individuals and firms

* ban ships and aircraft registered in either country from visiting the other

"There is no more room for compromise with this odious regime," Bernier said.

Last month the House of Commons granted honorary citizenship to Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who has spent nearly 12 of the last 18 years in prison or under house arrest.

($1=$0.96 Canadi

roxxie
21st Oct 2009, 20:42
Has CHC finished operations in Burma/Myanmar? Just noticed a website saying that they had pulled out?

unstable load
23rd Oct 2009, 04:16
They pulled out about 18 months ago.
Rumour has it there are moves afoot to go back in now that they are no longer bound by the requirements of being listed.

BOOMER1
27th Oct 2009, 16:52
Apparently the lawyers are not authorizing CHC to re-enter Myanmar at this time. Not to difficult to trace a Thai helicopter company through Canada to the east coast of the US. Something about US embargoes I believe. That is the latest I have heard.:confused:

roxxie
27th Oct 2009, 21:55
I was wondering how they could still be operating there even though the Canadian Government had essentially banned all contact with Burma/Myanmar back at the end of 2007

rachakiri
8th Dec 2009, 00:41
Does anyone have any update on this, such as what's the name of the Thai company they used to operate through and if they are indeed moving back into Burma.
If they are heading back, what is the reason they can ?, anything to do with the First reserve buyout ?

Cheers

BOOMER1
8th Dec 2009, 07:13
The company they were going to use to operate in Burma is Thai Aviation Services (TAS), which is currently the partner company for CHC operating in Thailand. The latest news......is no news. The standing rumour that the lawyers would not allow CHC (or any partner company) to enter Burma is still in effect to the best of my knowledge. :{

sierra foxtrot
8th Dec 2009, 15:23
To bad. Has anyone heard how Thanda and the boys are making out. Do they have work.

Canadian Rotorhead
8th Dec 2009, 23:07
Thanda was working for CHC in Malaysia this past summer.

Variable Load
9th Dec 2009, 01:54
Thanda was working for CHC in Malaysia this past summer.

and also right now :ok: