PDA

View Full Version : The Vista experience

BOAC
14th Nov 2007, 07:41
No 1 son sent me this (http://blip.tv/file/340692), and I cannot see a previous post. E&OE as usual. It is important viewing for those who do not believe in Vista (or fairies at the bottom of the garden).

Warning to Saab - there are a few adverts in this, but it is worth watching!

Mac the Knife
14th Nov 2007, 08:15
Hilarious!

I just love it....:E

:ok: Mac

bnt
14th Nov 2007, 17:29
I think it's a conspiracy to sell hardware, to be honest. I just found an old text file with the spec of a PC I was thinking of buying back in The Year 1999. The phone I bought last year (HTC Excalibur) has as much oomph, but fits in my pocket.

I'm at university now, so I want small, light, efficient, and (above all) inexpensive. The budget laptops these days are big and heavy, so I'm looking forward to getting an ASUS eeePC (about £220), probably after New Year. .

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2007, 18:45
bnt - order it from Research Machines - no VAT to pay if bought for a full-time stude.

bnt
14th Nov 2007, 20:41
airborne - thanks - but they don't have the 8G model, and have a 3-week waiting list for the 4G model. I can wait till the New Year.

BOAC
14th Nov 2007, 20:54
How's that for thread creep.......................:confused:

bnt
15th Nov 2007, 08:05
Well, I think the eeePC, OLPC and other forthcoming low-cost Linux systems are partly a reaction to Vista, and Microsoft's direction. The higher hardware requirements are keeping prices higher than they strictly need to be, not that the bigger PC makers are complaining.

For laptops in particular, solid state drives (SSDs) are a great idea, slowly coming down in price, but they're not up to HDD spec yet. Vista is a bit much for these drives, not just because of its size, but also because of all the other stuff it has going on in the background, writing to the drive. (Flash memory eventually wears out after a certain number of writes.)

I'm not exactly anti-Microsoft in general, but I wish they'd done things differently. I don't need the OS to do more, I'd like it to work on hardware that is more reliable. lighter, and yes, cheaper. :hmm:

subrosa
17th Nov 2007, 01:46
How true BOAC. :ok:

Vista not good. No programs run, no adobe, no scansoft, no citrix, on and on. Have to buy all new programs... no. I get Mac.