PDA

View Full Version : atr performances, so ugly?

liftman
13th Nov 2007, 22:02
hi guys,

I come from jet and got a chance to fly Atr first series near home.

I am a little bit scared about atr problems in ice condition and in general poor performances.

Would like to receive comment by atr drivers about handling of the machine and....if definetly it is a good aircraft to fly or not.

Thanks to all for help

click
13th Nov 2007, 22:41
I wouldn't worry too much. Best in it's class for what it's supposed to do. Short hops and hands on flying. Had a lot of really good fun with that. Shortly before I left we upgraded to the 500 series and that is a super little performer. They actually put engines on it. Enjoy your time on it. Ice is an issue only if you get caught with your pants down. Check your icing levels and enroute weather and have a way out. Just like always.

airman13
14th Nov 2007, 06:22
500 series much better....having 4500 hrs on atr 42-500, what could I say? if all anti-icing systems work properely, don't worry.....good-luck!

Shanwick Shanwick
15th Nov 2007, 15:17
Or better still, don't ever hold in icing conditions with any flap selected!

I flew both the 42 and 72 in freezing rain, snow, freezing fog and never had a problem with icing. You just have to use common sense.

It's an excellent aircraft with the ability to fill the seats, fill the tanks and fly for 5 hours!

16th Nov 2007, 09:50
There's nothing wrong with the ATR in icing conditions.
I flew it for two years and had several comments from people about it's performance in icing - sadly these people were just regurgitating something they've read by some layman or heard from some 13 year-old expert on pprune.

Yes, they've had accidents in the past due to icing, but these were as a result of errors made by crews, not a fault with the aircraft. Fly any aircraft around in icing conditions with no ant-ice, or de-icing and you're gonna drop out the sky just as majestically as any ice ridden turboprop!

I really liked flying the ATR. It's a great intro to multi crew flying - laid out like a jet and has many good systems / features.

Crosswind performance is very good and I'd sooner be up there in an ATR in gale force, gusting crosswinds than the jets I fly now!

Enjoy it - there's nothing to be concerned about. . . . :ok:

Clandestino
19th Nov 2007, 06:37
I've spent 5 years and 2500 hours in the RHS of the most underpowered of them all: 42-300 and while it's performance wasn't sparkling, it was quite adequate. Handling is pleasant, with roll being slightly on the heavy side and my verdict is that the airplane is absolutely good aircraft to fly. Aaahhh... the days of yore, when I would land my ATR at SZG from 9000 ft on downwind without 360ing it, without extending downwind by much and not waking up EGPWS either. Systemwise, there are lot of things that could have been done better (NWS for example) but you can live easily with ATR's peculiarities. Also the warm underwear is a must during middle-european winters.

And if you take the job and your ATR is green-tailed, take care when operating into MUC because the worst icing I've seen is in the area just north of the alps, low teens in winter and high teens in summer. Turn on level 3 early and if you get more than about 2 cm of ice on ice evidence probe on climb-out from MUC - turn back.

Just my 2 eurocents...

ATR42300
19th Nov 2007, 09:11
I also flew the ATR 42 & 72 for some three years as both Capt & FO and would agree with the above comments.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the aircraft having read "Unheeded Warning: The Inside Story of American Eagle Flight 4184"
by Fredrick, Stephen A. gave an insight into the problems with icing in its early days.

Icing was never a problem during my time as above you just have to be aware and practice good airmanship