PDA

View Full Version : SA and MK Jump Seat Policy

b737bbj
13th Nov 2007, 20:53
Can anyone kindly advise if a pilot (who doesn't work for SA or MK) can be permitted to use the jumpseat? I've done a search but have come up with nothing. Thanks all.

Oom Kaspaas
14th Nov 2007, 07:31
No. Nice try though

fluffyfan
14th Nov 2007, 07:41
Unfortunatley not the one on the flight deck its a policy they are quite strict on, however if you have a valid ticket and the aircraft is full....if you manage to convince the ground staff to contact the Captain he will usually help out with one of the jump seats in the cabin...just identify yourself as flight crew though....and even then some Captains may not be willing to help although in my experience most will help with pleasure

nomoneynowek
15th Nov 2007, 03:27
Why do the part 121 pilots in SA not get together and get some type of recipricol jumpseat policy in place?

I'm flying for a 121 carrier in the US, and I can jumpseat on any carrier we have an agreement with, 121/135/freight, and last I looked there were about 120 operators on the list. Cockpit jumpseat if there isn't a seat open in the back.

It is a huge perk, and lets a lot of guys commute from all over the country to their bases. I even know of one guy who was living in Germany and was based in Atlanta!

Somebody should be making a push to get it in place.

nugpot
15th Nov 2007, 04:28
We have tried through ALPA to get a common jumpseat policy for pilots, but I get the feeling that those in charge think that pilots have too many perks already..............

ATSU Misc
15th Nov 2007, 05:25
MK is the only airline I know that has it in black-and-white in its BOM that "Captains have sole discretion on jump seat occupancy." Talk to the Commandant s'il vous plait, it's his decision.:)

and they don't have uniform caps either!

Nkosi4750
22nd Nov 2007, 18:43
Sorry mate

No chance on MK, even the loadmasters have to have tickets, and insurance issue.

innersole
22nd Nov 2007, 19:57
What a pity. There's a PD FO at SAA who worked for an a US feeder who went around the world in Business class on " Jump Seats " because the system allowed it. Good luck to her! I think it's an excellent idea, if SA ALPA can spend enough time pressing it! Unfortunately, all the braches are continously fighting basic conditions of service. F:mad:k all the accountants!!!