PDA

View Full Version : CPL test

norton2005
13th Nov 2007, 11:34
After recently doing my PPL I wonder, How different is the CPL test from the PPL? I mean apart from higher standard of accuracy in flying, what are the differences? Is it just basically a longer route to fly on the Nav test?

Blinkz
13th Nov 2007, 11:37
The CPL is generally quite a simple test, and pretty much identical to the PPL. There is a little more instrument flying in it, and they expect you to fly in a professional manor (i.e trying to save money etc and show 'commercial' sense but obviously not to the detriment of safety)

The actual route isn't that much longer as I recall, like I said its a pretty similar test! look at the standard document for the CPL and it will explain exactly what the examiner is looking for.

now the IR on the other hand....

norton2005
13th Nov 2007, 11:46
Thanks for that reply. I know I've heard a lot about how difficult that IR is. When you mentioned a bit more instrument flying in the CPL test, could you tell me what they want you to do on instruments in the cpl test?

Linda Mollison
13th Nov 2007, 12:07
Have a look at the CAA document Applicants Guide for the CPL Skill Test available at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1198

Linda

norton2005
13th Nov 2007, 13:26
Thanks. Do you have a link with the informaton for the IR?

Linda Mollison
13th Nov 2007, 13:38
Yes,

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1303

Linda

dartagnan
13th Nov 2007, 14:35
the IR is not harder or easier than the CPL(it cost more!). IR is just new, making you believe it is harder as you have minimum experience . I think IR is easier cuz you have to rely on your charts and everything is on your knee bord and it required lot of anticipation which make the difference between a pass or fail.

you can fail a CPL by not keeping space with another traffic when in IR, you dont see anything from the window.
IR tests required an ILS, NDB, one engine traffic pattern and land and some other basic handling excercice.And don't forget to say the famous "ANY ICE?" for each 1000 feet.

WannaBeBiggles
13th Nov 2007, 14:36
Not sure what the differences there are with the CAA tests and the OZ requirements, but like mentioned the test flight is almost the same, but your expected to have a more in depth knowledge of the regs, radio work is also scrutinized a bit more, as well as the fact that your flying a "Commercial" flight, so pax briefings and your general flying precision has to be more spot on.

Also, the test did include things like finding some obscure little dirty road crossing, mine in the middle of no where or something along those lines, which means you have to be spot on in your 1 in 60's, ground speed calcs and general awareness of where you are at any given time during the flight.

There is also a requirement of having EVERYTHING done within 60 minutes, as your told your destination on the day, so you have 60 minutes to get WX, do all P & loading charts, plans, lodge flight plans, check logs and prep the aircraft. So a little more preasure than a PPL as most people are told a day or two in advance of where they are going.

But if you've been trained properly non of these things should be an issue because you would have done them many times before.

expedite08
13th Nov 2007, 20:09
Its all fair saying its just another PPL style test. I was told that, it certainly is not! There are so many factors that can go wrong and only one of them needs to go and thats it you have had it.