PDA

View Full Version : EU to Cap Combat Aircraft Emissions

ORAC
13th Nov 2007, 09:00
Would I be cynical in seeing this as a back door way of promoting/pushing the idea of EU military integration where all their training flights et al could could be defined as "international" missions? :suspect:

Europeans May Cap Combat Aircraft Emissions (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a8f9629fa-fc43-4896-b64b-186d69002a22)

The European Parliament is considering including military aviation in the EU's greenhouse gas emission trading scheme (ETS). The parliament will vote on including aviation in the scheme during its plenary session in Strasbourg, France, next week.

An amendment to this draft legislation calls for flights performed by military aircraft to be included in the ETS, unless they are "part of an international mission." The amendment also excludes flights by customs and police services and for search and rescue and disaster relief, including firefighting.

The British Conservatives in the European Parliament fear the "RAF's wings could be clipped" by the amendment because it is so energy-intensive that its emissions would be capped. The British government would then have to buy emissions permits to allow combat aircraft to fly missions, it is feared...........

BEagle
13th Nov 2007, 09:21
Yet another reason to say NO to all this emergent Eurocrap!

European Economic Community - YES

European Superstate - NO!!

harrogate
13th Nov 2007, 09:49
Gordon will leap at it.

It's a great excuse to keep British forces aircraft on the ground and save some cash.

That's what I like about Gordon. He's so eco-conscious.

F34NZ
13th Nov 2007, 12:00
Handy idea. Exclude emissions if they're for fluffy 'international missions', but force the RAF to buy permits for any of the essential day-to-day sorties that train a squadron to perform 'international missions'. Likely result : fewer training sorties, lower emissions, more bent aircraft, still lower emissions.

I didn't think I'd see the day when the RAF was the same size as the RNZAF. I may yet.

Fg Off Max Stout
13th Nov 2007, 12:11
So when the Russian strategic bombers that have been tickling our airspace recently stop practicing and kick off for real, it will be reassuring to know that our futile, one arm tied behind the back, air defence is 'environmentally conscientious', even if the subsequent nuclear holocaust is not quite carbon neutral.

F34NZ
13th Nov 2007, 17:45
Indeed, Max. Leuchars has applied for Scottish Executive funding to develop a solar- and battery-powered F3. Downside : recharge time. Upsides : carbon neutral; significantly more poke and the batteries take up the back seat, so huge savings on crew training, salaries and bar bills.

Impiger
13th Nov 2007, 17:52
But F34NZ who will help you home after a night out? All those batteries in the back seat won't buy you a beer either!

Navigators are a bit like bidets - you've no idea what they're for but somehow you just know they add a touch of class!:ok:

VARIABLE_KNIFE
13th Nov 2007, 18:41
The one saving grace in all of this is that Defence and Foreign Policy are exempt from the medaling of these bungling bureaucrats and last time i checked the RAF fell within this.

Then again i fear harrogate may be right, Brown will love this and use it as another excuse to reduce the budget and size of the armed forces.

In the words of James May, "Cock!"

Shaft109
13th Nov 2007, 20:24
When will this meddling end? It seems to be pervading all aspects of Britain. Common sense replaced by a myriad of rules, regulations and bollox.:ugh:

GeeRam
13th Nov 2007, 22:37
When will this meddling end? It seems to be pervading all aspects of Britain. Common sense replaced by a myriad of rules, regulations and bollox.

With a very heavy emphasis on the bollox bit......:uhoh:

And don't think it's any better in civvie street when you get out...:rolleyes:

vecvechookattack
13th Nov 2007, 22:51
I didn't think I'd see the day when the RAF was the same size as the RNZAF. I may yet

Would that be a bad thing?

harrogate
14th Nov 2007, 00:32
I suppose a nuclear holocaust could be carbon neutral, by virtue of the fact that it would neutralise carbon, along with most other elements/gases.

In fact, it would be perfect.

A damn good holocausting will balance the books nicely.

MarkD
14th Nov 2007, 12:59
So next time the Bears come calling Britain has to rely on Norway's QRA because the TypHoons are "out of credits"???

And people wonder why Norway stays out of the EU (but, clever boys that they are, stay in EFTA).

Nil nos tremefacit
14th Nov 2007, 19:34
VARIABLE KNIFE - do keep up. Foreign policy is to become an EU competence after the new 'treaty' is ratified. France has announced that when it takes over the rotating presidency it will concentrate on a combined EU defence policy including shared basic training with common standards across Europe.

BEagle, should have voted for me at the last GE (if you didn't - you know it would have made sense). I would have tried to put a stop to this garbage.

VARIABLE_KNIFE
14th Nov 2007, 20:17
"concentrate on a combined EU defence policy including shared basic training with common standards across Europe"

Christ, that will make NATO and its military committee look positively efficient, 50 yrs plus on even they have not totally achieved this.

:hmm:

Crash alot
15th Nov 2007, 12:38
will somebody please tell these euro £%&^wits to go and play in the fast lane of the nearest motorway.

better yet tell them where to shove that membership of the EU

Nil nos tremefacit
15th Nov 2007, 14:15
From the Open Europe press summary of articles in today's papers:

Miliband backs Sarkozy's vision for greater EU defence integration

In his first major speech on the EU, Foreign Secretary David Miliband will tell an audience in Bruges today that the EU should build up its defence capabilities, take a new approach to cutting carbon emissions and extend the EU single market to north Africa and the Middle East by 2030. He will propose an EU defence capabilities review "to set out the challenge we face; and identify targets for the investment in equipment, research, development, and training necessary to make more of our armed forces". His remarks on defence fit neatly with the French Government's plans to push for further EU defence integration during its Presidency next year - although the Guardian suggests that Miliband is "not falling into line with the Sarkozy vision".

On environmental issues, Miliband will also propose an extension of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme with the creation of an EU carbon bank to regulate the amount of carbon used. He will also suggest that by 2030 all cars purchased in the EU should have zero carbon emissions

Guardian BBC Telegraph FT