PDA

View Full Version : 1 Billion over budget?

foormort
13th Nov 2007, 02:55
Did I read correctly over the weekend that the MoD will be paying back 350 million per year, for the next three years, to the treasury due to overspend. If this is true where on earth is this money going to be saved if we are to continue with the current tasks. I read that future procurement is at risk. Bad news for sure, but true?

WhoAreYa
13th Nov 2007, 12:06
Rumour has it by cutting pension gratuity by 25% for all pers leaving after Apr 08 !!!

Melchett01
13th Nov 2007, 19:49
Rumour has it by cutting pension gratuity by 25% for all pers leaving after Apr 08 !!!

Like to see them try and force that through as it is part of our terms of service and is linked into the annual pensions.

I suspect trying to change the ToS for thousands of people will be an interesting exercise and there would probably be enough people to launch a class action against the MoD if they did try it.

The recent move to AFPS 05 was a similar thinly disguised attempt to save money, but even then they realised that they had to give current serving people the option to stay on 75 or move over to 05. Don't buy it for one bit that they will be able to slash gratuities - watch the sudden efflux of people leaving before the deadline if they do. However, this may be linked to some finance act which will probably limit how much you can commutate your pension which should save a few quid i nthe short term.

Jobza Guddun
13th Nov 2007, 20:11
Melchett,
"which will probably limit how much you can commutate your pension which should save a few quid in the short term."
Spot on, I understand that's exactly what they propose to do. I believe the max commutable amount will be 25% on any pension earned after 1 April 2008, but remaining at 50% before that date. Regrettably, the information source escapes me though, and IS unconfirmed.

Bugger if you're caught in the pension trap.....:{

LFFC
13th Nov 2007, 21:05
JB

I think you'll find that the correct date is 6 April 2006.

Look here for confirmation:

AFPS 75 (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/Pensions/AFPS75/)

Melchett01
13th Nov 2007, 21:10
I wonder just how low Gordon Brown will stoop in his efforts to screw the forces so far that they cease to exist beyond an extension of Group 4.

Lyneham Lad
13th Nov 2007, 21:43
The Daily Telegraph carried an article on the 10th Nov:-
Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/10/ndefence310.xml)

Quote from article - An MoD spokesman said: "We have agreed that where the costs of UORs exceed a jointly agreed estimate, MoD will repay 50 per cent of the excess costs two years later."

Quite where the money will come from, of course, is not identified.

LL

GPMG
13th Nov 2007, 21:46
Privitised military forces, just like in some sci fi books, coming to a battlefield near you.