PDA

View Full Version : desperately seeking information

hIDEOUSKINKY
11th Nov 2007, 22:34
hey people:}, I'm currently a student who really wants to become a civil aviation pilot. I had considered joining the RAF but that would go against some of my beliefs. I'm by all standards passionate about becoming a pilot, its the only career i've thought about for the last few years.

However, I'm financially restricted and cannot sponsor myself. Are there any pilots in here who've made it by not joining the RAF first or self sponsorship? give me tips please. i'm at university studying aerospace engineering, just incase i dont make it:sad:, but i want to still know there are opportunities for people like me i.e. very poor students

CloudPilot
13th Nov 2007, 00:53
Hey,

Short Answer: Nope

Long Answer: Maybe, if you are lucky enough, hard working and very-very patient and never give up. Join the local glider aeroclub, start learning and working around the airport, get to know the people, flight time will come later.... And whatever you do, do not ever quit your studies.

Cloud

kiwi chick
13th Nov 2007, 00:57
Use the "search" function above and you will find more than you ever need.

:ok:

Scoobster
13th Nov 2007, 10:37
I can only Echo the advice given by CloudPilot...

There are many aspiring aviators out there who either have dreamed of this since they were a child and some who are recently seeking a career change.

It is a long and winding road ahead with its fair share of uncertainty, but if you have 'always' aspired to be an Aviator then you are only limited by your determination, hardwork and perserverance - oh and your Medical :}

DO NOT LEAVE your education and make sure you have have this to fall back on otherwise you might end up pulling pints in your local boozer or working for Asda (not that there is anything wrong with that of course) - but you get the point.

Scoobster

mustflywillfly
13th Nov 2007, 10:58
Relax!!

It WILL happen if you push push push and keep focussed. I did Aerospace Enginnering at Uni and it is a big help especially for groundschool.

The most cunning plan would be to try and join an RAF University Air Squadron and blag some flying. You are NOT obliged to join post uni. Post Uni keep your eyes peeled and your ear close to the ground for any integrated courses that have a job offer at the end. Oxford Air Training periodocally advertises these courses and the advantage is you don't need too much money to get going. Also try Flight Training Europe for similiar courses.

There is always the CTC Cadet Wings scheme where you have to pass a few poxy aptitude tests (absolutely nowhere near as hard as the RAF/RN tests) this scheme allows you to go from zero to hero (frozen ATPL) with no funds at all.

If you fail selection for any integrated courses then all is not lost. There is the modular route. Get a good job with your degree with a company that offers Career Breaks or Sabbatticals work for a few years, save like a bastar*, take the break and do your training then go back to work whilst applying for jobs, better still get an instructor rating whilst on the break too and instruct for free at weekends when you are back to work.

Do not despair, the degree is a slog but remember you still have a good 10 years to reach your dream. You may do it quicker...

God luck. PM if you need any more info.

MFWF:ok: