PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Canberra

goudie
11th Nov 2007, 14:28
RAAF Canberra
Whilst visiting Redding, N. California I saw a RAAF Canberra, ser no.A84 229, at the local airport. It's owned by a local aviation co. After it's transfer to USA it had quite a colourful history but eventually became the subject of a legal wrangle over ownership. Currently it's not airworthy. There is more of it's history on the net (google A84 229). Thought RAAF crew who flew in this plane might be interested in it's (probable) final resting place.

Beeayeate
11th Nov 2007, 15:04
An Australian named Les Wilson was involved in getting 229 to the states. He also had some involvement afterward during the re-instatment episode. Click here (http://www.bywat.co.uk/a84-229.html) to read his story.

scran
11th Nov 2007, 21:51
I was at Amberley in 89-90 when the aircraft was air-tested a few times prior to the delivery flight, and worked with the Nav who did the delivery flight (gooday Geoff!!!).

L J R
11th Nov 2007, 23:29
The export of the Canberra was part of the deal for a 'swap' which allowed the RAAF museum to get its Ventura (which Later had a landing misfortune somewhere in Victoria some years ago)...

Trojan1981
12th Nov 2007, 06:24
The accident was Richmond in '96 wasn't it?

antipodean alligator
12th Nov 2007, 12:45
It was Richmond...I remeber seeing it on approach that day...Stuffed if I can remember the year though! 1996 indeed, according to this link:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/pv1venturaregistry/pv1ventura-33369.html

herkman
12th Nov 2007, 19:38
Flown by Bob Greenwood, one of our finest pilots.

Double engine failure, caused aby a engine kill switch, which turned out should have been removed on a TO in 1944.

Great flying and very little real damage to the airframe.

Regards

Col

reacher
15th Nov 2007, 04:47
I remember driving past that every day for about a week on the way to school. I was only a kid then but I could still appreciate the skill needed for such a forced landing. I wouldn't want to try that today; the same field is full of irrigation polls about 3 ft high in nice rows :ooh: