PDA

View Full Version : ServisAir

love4music05
10th Nov 2007, 09:25
Im thinking of joining servis air as a psa, can someone tell me who are the airlines that they service??
I cant seem to find anything on the website

What is it like working for them??
Money, benefits? anything u can help me with id be gratfeul

Many thanks x

love4music05
10th Nov 2007, 09:29
oh and the uniform? whats it like?!

finding_nema
10th Nov 2007, 11:57
Hi love4music, have you recently applied for Servisair at BHX? I know they have a course starting soon and their recruitment team are really nice.

I can't comment on what they're like to work for, but on the uniform front they do look smart. It's a navy blue suit with a tie/scarf which is navy and yellow.

love4music05
10th Nov 2007, 14:02
hi yes, i start in december! im really excited!!!

love4music05
10th Nov 2007, 14:11
thanks for your comments, can any one else shed some light on this company!?

love4music05
13th Nov 2007, 14:58
anyone else?

groundhand
13th Nov 2007, 15:45
Hi,

Founded in 1954 as part of British and Commonwealth Shipping
Started in Manchester as Manchester Handlingthen added additional airports as the opportunities arose. Changed name to Servisair in about 1965.

Went into BHX when they bought Ogden Aviation around 1982 (stand to be corrected on the date).

Opened first 'international' operation in Rotterdam around 1980 (again, will be corrected on the date). Portugal and then Spain followed and then they went into Dublin, Irleand before moving onto Scandinavia - Stockholm and Gothenberg in 1996, followed by Oslo and then Copenhagen. An American opoeration was then opened up.

The business went through various ownerships including Bricom, then a Swedish company with a VERY long name; the Bank of Sweden (when the afore mentioned Swedish company went into administration; a plc on the London market. Servisair plc was then bought off the market by Penauille Poly Services - a French company. PPS then bought GlobeGround off Lufthansa and merged the 2 busineses into Servisair GlobeGround; PPS were then taken over by CFF, another French company who have now changed the name back to just Servisair. CFF, are a French listed company - core business is metals recycling.

Now one of the top 3 Global independent ground handling companies.

They currently have about 140 airports mainly in Europe, North America and Canada; 21,000 staff and over 700 customers.
In 2006 handled 1.65 million aircraft movements; 102 million passengers; 1 million tonnes of air freight and re-fuelled over 1.1 million aircraft.

HQ is in Manchester with a US main office in Dallas.
Their web site is www.servisair.com (http://www.servisair.com).

I have no idea which airlines Servisair currently handle in BHX but there is athread somewhere on pprune about who handles who where.
Hope this gives you a bit of background.
Good luck with your new career.
GH

love4music05
13th Nov 2007, 15:49
aww thas brilliant thank u

asuweb
14th Nov 2007, 08:43
The thread mentioned above:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258304

Jerbourg
14th Nov 2007, 14:56
They stopped making contributions to the Guernsey pension fund for a number of years without telling anyone & then after pulling out of GCI informed the ex staff that the pension was being wound up. Two years plus on we are all still waiting to find out where are money is as nobody seems to know & mysteriously the fund has no trustees.

That is what Servisiar think of their employees - Avoid them like the plague. Go to Aviance!

groundhand
15th Nov 2007, 09:34
Jerbourg has a tainted view of the company.
I'm not saying that everything is rosey but in the big picture they are not a bad employer.

The GCI details are far more complex than portrayed on this thread and the number of changes over recent years within the senior people have not helped.

What Jerbourg does not mention is the number of years Servisair kept a loss making operation going in GCI, paying the staff etc. whilst trying to find a position that would enable the unit to continue. Unfortunately the main customer did not want to pay economic rates so the plug had to be pulled. That's business; hard decisions have to be taken and there are always casualties.

Jerbourg
15th Nov 2007, 10:33
Servisair allowed themselves to get into that position in GCI by not chasing new contracts. The handling for the various freighter ops were never persued & were always done by a "tin pot" local outfit. This minnow should have been stamped on by Servisiar, but continually it was the other way around - even in the design of the "new" freight freight building the minnow had the say. (Interestingly enough I believe that the Servisiar cargo operation is still active). Various other pax handling including BA were not persued with enough vigour & therefore lost to other outfits. Servisair GCI had a good team & were continually let down by poor local & HO management.

`

tgwu stn
15th Nov 2007, 11:06
groundhand:=
I think you are the only one with a tainted view of Servisair if you find raiding the pension scheme acceptable.
Hard working workforce being let down by management again we cant all be wrong, ask the Servisair employees who are going to be made reduntant as result of closing one of the Scotland stations.

Come on Servisair employees lets have your views.:confused:

sat1
15th Nov 2007, 11:25
i Love My Job!!!!!!!!!!

groundhand
15th Nov 2007, 13:49
TGWU

"......of Servisair if you find raiding the pension scheme acceptable."

That's a very serious statement. I certainly don't have all the facts and I suspect neither do you. tainted my view may be, not me to judge and I don't work for the company but I do not believe that this is a fact.

I may been seen to have a tainted view. I would prefer to think that I am honest enough to know that it is rarely wholly 'management's' fault just as equally it is rarely wholly the 'workers' fault when things go wrong. Whether Jobourg really knows how the BA contract at GCI was dealt with is for him/her to say; one thing is for sure - the handling deal was not done by anyone at GCI either from BA or Servisair; BA tendering process is a bit more formal than that. Chasing with vigour is a nice thought but it is handling rates that make the day and the customers in CGI showed their spots by chasing the lowest rate. The unit had been loss making for some time and there was little prospect of a turnaround.

With regard to ABZ.
I find it very disappointing and distressing; I know several of the staff personally. There are employees who have been there since day one and have more than 30 years service. The fact that the Cargo and Executive Lounge facilities will remain is no consolation.

I can not defend the senior management's performance over ABZ; but note that the most senior operational manager in Scotland is likely to be gone before ABZ shuts. Justice some would say, 5 years too late would be my personal opinion as he has done a huge amount of damage to the well being of many airport operations. However, you also have to look at the BAA's role in allowing so many ground handling comapnies onto an airport the size of ABZ.

Closures, sad as they may be, are a reality. How many remember:
Swansea
Kirkwall
Sumburgh
Inverness - to re-open several years later and reamains today.
Sheffield
London City
Blackpool
Stuttgard
Stockholm - Arlanda
Gothenberg
Rotterdam
not to mention several in France, the US, Canada and Africa.
There are still around 130 are there not?
Change is inevitable, those scarred often bear resentment.
This is business.

GH

5711N0205W
15th Nov 2007, 18:48
love4music05 there is good and bad in every operation, I hope it's great for you. for more on the Aberdeen closure see the thread linked below.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=294373

So groundhand that Servisair senrior manager who has the same initials as a character from Dallas has finally been found out? Not before time.....

snoopdog
15th Nov 2007, 21:59
Mr Ewings namesake endeared himself to the ABZ staff with words to the effect of, "We are pulling out on 7/12/07, you are all redundant, Im off to Egypt for a couple of weeks hols,:cool: er, HR will be here to answer any questions"!!!!!!!!!! Merry Xmas Big Man

P.S. Hope Flight Support employ the great guys who have sweated blood for the last two years to keep this oufit going, lets hope they bring their own managers!!

Surprised no-one has mentioned Flight Support so far on this thread, rumoured to be taking the Easyjet, Flybe and Flightline contracts - Good Luck and act quickly before all the good guys leave for pastures new! :ok:

love4music05
18th Nov 2007, 20:42
Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestons and points of view, had an interestering time reading them all. Hope they are good to me! lol x

On the ground
4th Dec 2007, 22:51
… there's an old Scottish saying applicable to ABZ.

There are 3 sides to any story, HIS side, HER side and the truth.
The management blamed the union and vice versa. Whilst they danced around their handbags, people lost their jobs.

My truth is that the morale was terrible.
No-one understood the complex O/T system (Flight Support have a flat rate apparently).
The Ramp Agent uniform was woeful, unless 'crotchless' trousers are your bag?

Sadly, the poor management appears to be endemic as the management continue to mistreat certain employees despite the fact that everyone is in the same boat… I guess if you spend enough time up s**t creek some of it sticks.

PPRuNe Pop
5th Dec 2007, 07:08
Sorry, but this has gone way off topic.