PDA

View Full Version : training/living in Oz

Prophead
9th Nov 2007, 17:54
Hi

I am currently building my hours/training towards CPL/IR.

I may have the opportunity to move to Australia. This would be a good move for me in my current job. However it will always be my intention to gain my commercial licence and apply to the airlines.

I understand flying would be cheaper, but would there be as many opportunities open to me once im qualified? What is involved in the Australian modular route as opposed to JAR.

I would be interested to hear from any one who has done the same or just comments in general.

Regards

Mike

redsnail
9th Nov 2007, 18:01
I would have a look in the Dununda forums. There's an unprecedented shortage of experienced pilots leading to aircraft being parked. 20 years ago, 1300 or so CPLs were awarded. Now, barely 300 per year. Combined with the huge hiring boom in Asia and the decreased size of the Air Force has left the market rather bare.

Airlines that formerly demanded a min of 3000 hours to get a look in now request 750 hours.

Of course, the first job is always difficult, esp if you don't want to move.

You'll have a tonne of fun flying in Oz. There's nothing like it in Europe.
The modular route in Australia is pretty similar to here, just a whole lot cheaper. Main difference is you need to do the CPL exams as well.

I think there's a fair bit of info on the CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) website.

WannaBeBiggles
10th Nov 2007, 07:02
Prophead

if you have a JAR PPL it's easy to convert it to an Aussie PPL and then continue with your CPL, you'll just need to get up to date with your Air Law of course.

Flying in OZ is a lot different, less congested airspace and visual navigation can be 'interesting' out west due to lack of features. Plus the size of the country is something else. I did the reverse and must say it's an odd feeling having done "cross country" navs in oz of 5-6 hours and never leaving the state and in europe that'll take you through a couple of COUNTRIES!

Where in OZ will you be living?

The Australian market is booming so there are plenty of opportunities, however your not going to find yourself in a jet straight after flight school like some lucky boys and girls in europe, however like mentioned requirements have dropped, so you might find yourself in a TP or Jet quicker than ever before.

Prophead
10th Nov 2007, 14:13
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Im not sure which area id go to yet, but there are lots of jobs over there in my current proffesion and i have seen quite a few people i know move over to good jobs and lifestyles. I have been tempted for a while but dont want it to affect my future in aviation.

Its now looking even more tempting however!:ok:

WannaBeBiggles
11th Nov 2007, 06:55
Depending on what proffesion your talking about, but guessing it's either IT, engineering or medicine ;)

You will find good flying schools in every state, city or regional.

Looking forward to seeing you in Dunnunda :ok:

BoggabriBill
26th Jan 2010, 23:48
Has anyone heard of the Australian Wings Academy located on the Gold Coast? Looks like they may be opening up a school in Gunnedah in NW.

mohammad
24th Mar 2010, 14:56
I was a past student there boggabribill and what they say they will never go through so don't even bother wasting your time its expensive and your not paying for the service there.

The school in Gunnedah doesn't even exists, they have been talking about it for years as well as a jet and motion simulator which in terms wins contracts for airlines when they think the cadets will be top trained and charge a high price. It will soon catch up to them when word gets around because " Aviation is a small world":ok: