PDA

View Full Version : Stamps for the fallen

skua
9th Nov 2007, 12:46
Don't think this has popped up yet on this forum, but I thought this campaign deserves widespread support, not the least at this time of the year.
http://www.artfund.org/queenandcountry/Queen_and_Country.html
Skua

fantaman
9th Nov 2007, 14:33
A nice idea, signed :D

eastern wiseguy
9th Nov 2007, 16:40
Signed and forwarded to my address book...

Exrigger
9th Nov 2007, 16:43
Agreed and signed

Al R
9th Nov 2007, 16:57
The Royal Mail remembers the fallen and military heritage in new issues each year anyway. But personalising things in such a way, and identifying so closely with a particular conflict has a whiff of politik about it. I also don't think its 'British'. I know I might get a slating here for saying it, but there are other far more dignified and appropriate ways of remembering the sacrifice of our troops, than sticking their faces on a letter and throwing it in a letterbox. It seems to be reducing the whole business of rememberance to simply doing bells and whistles measures, measured by the largest market penetration. Lets put in place the conditions for our fallen to be remembered with dignity, and not marketed like limited edition souvenir sets.

As an aside, is it my imagination? But poppies seem to be thin on the ground this year.

SRENNAPS
9th Nov 2007, 17:49
Well I think it's a good idea.

Signed

SRENNAPS
10th Nov 2007, 07:50
I notice that there seems to be a distinct lack of comment and possibly support for this idea; is it because that it is an idea somewhat out of the normal box.

I said earlier that I thought it was a good idea and I stand by that.

If a “British” stamp is good enough for a picture of our queen then it is good enough for our fallen heroes.

It also gets a majority of support from the families of those heroes. Surely their thoughts count for something.

Regards.

It's Not Working
10th Nov 2007, 11:06
Thankfully Al you appear to be wrong,
As an aside, is it my imagination? But poppies seem to be thin on the ground this year.
According to this morning's Telegraph, '...as record donations, expected to reach £30million, are pouring into the Royal British Legion...'
I think we have a lot to thank the media for here, they all appear to be batting firmly on the side of Tommy, and lately not a day goes by without the plight of the British Serviceman being mentioned. Yes it could be better, yes the numbers of injured being repatriated each week could get a mention, but I never thought I would say, 'Thank You British Media,' but I am happy to do so at the moment.
I have just returned from my local town and it is swamped with the Cadet Forces selling Poppies. To those of you that give up your free time to manage these youngsters, 'well done.' You put me to shame.

heights good
11th Nov 2007, 11:11
Al R

I understand where you are coming from, but I think if the families support this project then I personally will be adding my support. I know of one widow who is 100% behind this project. There are a lot of people who have put their own feelings aside to add their name to the list.

HG

MacKez
11th Nov 2007, 21:44
I would like to Thank each person for their support in signing this petition.

Widow and children of SGT Mark McLaren ( 230 SQN)

lowfield heath
12th Nov 2007, 10:39
Also signed

Green Bottle 2
12th Nov 2007, 11:29
Also signed.

FJJP
12th Nov 2007, 12:05
Me too, good idea...

PPRuNe Pop
12th Nov 2007, 12:11
It cries out for support, which I have done. It is a brilliant idea.

theotherhalf
12th Nov 2007, 22:38
I do not like this idea at all. I would not be happy to see the face of the man I lost become part of the poor mail service we have in this country. To be squashed into letterboxes and then discarded into trash bins, without so much as a second glance. This would just be another way of treating our guys with the disrespect they already suffer from. Now, if the stamps were given free, or all the revenue given to aid our services, then maybe that would be worth a thought, but this way it just seems they are being sold down the river!!

heights good
21st Nov 2007, 10:58
You have to remember that its only the families who have agreed that will have their loved ones on stamps. If they are happy with it then thats good enough for me.

HG

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Nov 2007, 11:13
Signed as I can think of a few faces who, if they dropped through my letter box would remind me of some very good times...........:)

ComJam
21st Nov 2007, 11:22
It's impossible to ignore something like that, signed. :ok:

BEagle
21st Nov 2007, 15:54
DCO!

228 OCU
21st Nov 2007, 17:29
Bloody good idea.

Done.:ok:

If in doubt BANG OUT.

Winch-control
22nd Nov 2007, 11:40
Done. Postman Pat

MacKez
17th Mar 2008, 21:48
If you haven't already. It would mean a great deal to me and my sons.

Petition at 10, 689

lowlypax
17th Mar 2008, 21:53
Just Signed