PDA

View Full Version : What are the options for a FAA CFI with 700 Hours in ASIA

Airplane Crazy
9th Nov 2007, 04:20
I'm having to leave US in three months as my visa is expiring and I can't reniew it due immigration bull crap here.

I don't meet the medical requirements back home as at home you can not fly if you wear glasses, so any one know what areas accept FAA licenses and appreciate anybodys advice to what options can I have. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know anything about flying in Asia.

flytoo
9th Nov 2007, 08:52
Hello!

Look at Beijing Panam in China. Read first about it on Pprune, before applying for a job.

Happy flying:ok:

Airplane Crazy
9th Nov 2007, 20:49
I have a friend that worked there and in two months he basicly ran for his life. He had the same situation that I'm about to be in. Last I talked to him, his advise was unless you find a way to get couple thousand hours before leaving US than forget aviation.
Unfortunately he is no longer alive. He went back home. Couldn't fly as he didn't meet the non sense Asian medical reqirements. Thats the same issue he had in Chininese Panam. Couldn't handle taking crap from his family all the time for persuing this career. About a year ago he was found dead at his parents home for unknown reason, which I personally have no dubt was a suicide. Was a great guy. Really loved flying and always worked really hard for it. Did every thing he should do, never complained about anything and as soon as his visa expired the poor guys life just went to ****. He was definitely one of those guys any airline would would have been lucky to have.

Left Wing
10th Nov 2007, 00:46
http://www.asiapacificflighttraining.com/main/

try these guys in Malaysia ...

Anonymus6
10th Nov 2007, 01:02
I can get you a job in India if you want. it is a flight instructor job, pays 3000 dollars a month and free housing. Only need to have FAA CFI and FAA 1st class medical.

or work another 3 months and get close to 1000tt and get a TR on the Airbus or Boeing see what happens from there.

There are a lot of jobs out there,,, you just have to look around (especially CFI jobs).

Interested pm me.

Airplane Crazy
10th Nov 2007, 01:26
I'll take you up on that. Keep in touch and I'll definitely look into that. So every one please keep posting things you guys know. I'll keep looking. You never maybe you know something that might just be the penduras box for me. Just kidding.

Plus anyone know exactly what areas of Asia don't care about your eyes as long your eyes are 20/20 with corrective lenses. My contacts correst my vision to 20/10. Still for many Asian countries thats no good as I can't even see a truck coming at me without them.

4PW's
11th Nov 2007, 05:44
Interesting that you're not pursuing the job in India. What do you want, an invitation? Start at the bottom. Work your way up. This guy's offering you a helping hand. Stop looking around and take it.

Airplane Crazy
11th Nov 2007, 06:45
How about you try to not give me lectures before you know what you are talking about.

Also for your information the comment you made stop looking and take it is completely nonsense. Telling someone to stop looking and just jumping on to whatever looks good doesn't sound like a very intelligent advise to me. Of course I'll look around and I'll pick the best of my options. Who wouldn't? I'm ok to start in the bottom, but I'm not ready start in the toilet.

Plus if you didn't know India is the last place you wanna be for an Aviation Career. You are talking about a country where everything depends on who is your daddy and what does he do. Not to mention even after watching a goat take a dump in front of your 5 star hotel every morning there's no gurantee you will get your promotion on time unless your brother is a lawyer/rich/criminal/politician etc.

Hudson_Hawk
11th Nov 2007, 14:29
I'm not sure about India - it sounds quite attractive in general terms (salary and accommodation) if you don't mind beggars, lowest hygiene in Asia and constant explosive d:mad:ia. However, you can look at PanAm in China. The place is not so bad - i am currently employed there and all seems to be fairy reasonable, particularly standards of living are definitely higher then India. I'm not saying it's the best school in the world to work for - far from it but for hour building it recently became great. Panam stroke a few deals with the CAAC allowing temporary licensing and exam passage. Ping me if you need latest info or simply read some PanAm forums.

or work another 3 months and get close to 1000tt and get a TR on the Airbus or Boeing see what happens from there.

Nothing is gonna happen from there... without an FAA ATPL + 500 multi at least.

Airplane Crazy
11th Nov 2007, 17:22
Thank's for the post sir. Yea I'd much rather be more interested to Panam than India. I'v been t India every year all my life. I really don't like the quality of life style there. China to me is way better. Yea although Panam seems to have some issues, it seems like some place I'll have to end up at.

Keep me posted.

elac2
11th Nov 2007, 22:31
PM me for job availability in Asia.

elac2

Hudson_Hawk
13th Nov 2007, 13:22
I'm pretty sure PanAm is recruiting now. I have just been pinged by a guy who got a job offer there a few days ago and heading to China (here) this month. They also got a pay-rise for everyone, from 1st to 2nd contractors, starting from $2,300 now (plus free 3/4 star accommodation, tax-free salary and free full health insurance). They will also pay for your tickets from anywhere in the World to China. CAAC license training, G1000 training and DA40/42 check-out worth about 5-7k is also free.

Contact me or Jessica Tian for more info.

Effee
14th Nov 2007, 10:19
i'd jump for the india job in a heartbeat if its all what the poster said.

too bad i cant right now.

Passenger 07
14th Nov 2007, 11:42
Try
http://www.npu.ac.th/iac/

But they are very selective....

training wheels
14th Nov 2007, 19:53
Try
http://www.npu.ac.th/iac/

But they are very selective....

Thanks for the link pax 07. That's the first website I've ever seen where even the cleaners' pics are displayed in their "staff" section. :) Nice to see that they're highly thought of and respected by the company. :ok:

El Lobo Solo
15th Nov 2007, 01:33
What is "Pan Am" flying these days?

Hudson_Hawk
15th Nov 2007, 17:05
Hi guys

I have been receiving a lot of pings from people who want my opinion on what life is like in BPIAA and what are the requirements, etc.

I hope I will answer most of your questions by posting a brief summary below:

Normal CFI requirements: ICAO license, CFI (CFII and MEI rating preferred) rating, no criminal records. Dual given 100 hours preferred but NOT essential.

I will tell you in brief what work and life in PanAm is likely to be :

:ok: The Bright Side...

You will fly a fleet of DA40/42 equipped with the latest in avionic, such as G1000 glass cockpit, advanced engine management system, VP props, FADEC (DA42), etc. DA42 is likely to be flown by you on a second contract or whenever your students are ready, whichever comes first.

PanAm will normally start you out with a very competitive salary, such as $2,300 for the 1st contract, rising to $3,000 on a second contract. Accommodation in a hotel, all taxes, fully comp. medical insurances and tickets are covered by the company.

Three to Four star hotel accommodation. If you don’t like to live in a hotel, you can rent an apartment for which PanAm will pay up to 2500 yuan. For this money you can get a 4-5 bedroom apartment (just for yourself!) in a gated community, western-style and fully-furnished. (Some 3-6 months deposits may be required).

Very motivated airline cadets with university degrees and average-to-good knowledge of English.

Endless respect to you as a flight instructor.

PanAm will pay for your CAAC license conversion, all expenses are covered from ground school and exams to standardization and pre-checkride flights.

G1000 training is provided free of charge.

Opportunity to progress to High Performance team on your 3rd contract (CJ1 and King Air)

Opportunity to join local airlines if you hold CAAC license and willing to pay for type-rating. (Chinese airlines have announced predicted shortage of 8,000 pilots by 2009. Having a CAAC license will put you in a very advantageous position)

China is a very cheap country where saving 75% of your salary is a norm. Some save more. Living expenses are low. You can lead a relatively lavish lifestyle which would be waaaay above an average Chinese person’s living standard.

Any time you need to leave – you can take an emergency break for an unlimited period of time.

A great team of foreign instructors from all over the World (US, UK, France, Italy, Finland, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Israel, Hungary, Australia, New Zealand and HongKong), very social and supportive. Fun parties from time to time.

PanAm is a very dynamic and ever-changing company, often listening to our opinions and trying to change for the best.

Finally, it’s a great opportunity to travel the entire “monsoon” Asia and see the world.

:suspect: The Dark Side...

The fleet is sometimes improperly maintained, such as lack of AvGas compels us to use MoGas in DA40’s. Also, maintenance personel is not especially skilled and lack good problem-solving skills.

Even though most cadets speak English well enough for this program, some may not clearly understand you in the cockpit so you will have to repeat yourself 2 or 3 times. Some will pretend to understand you. This could show to be frustrating. A few don't speak Snglish well enough but they fly with Chinese instructors so it's not really a problem for us.

China is quite polluted, so VFR flight cancellations due to poor visibility are often. Also air-force may declare a sudden TFR and take the entire airspace for a few hours or even an entire day. (This is not common in Wuhai base but frequent in Bautou base)

CAAC exams are sometimes difficult to pass because of poor Chinese-English translation. This was a serious problem only 2 months ago with around 80% of CFI failing the written tests. (However, we have finally obtained a question bank database and the recent test-take proved to have an 80% pass rate. If you fail you can re-take the exams as many times as needed and continue to fly on your "foreign license validation":ok:.)

Progression to HP and airlines is not guaranteed. However you can always progress to “standards” positions which will rise your salary and employment status.

Although living expense are low, China is a developing country, so you may not have access to some items that could be easily found in, say, Wall-Mart. However, almost anything could be found in Beijing. Your base location is likely to be quite remote from Beijing. However a CJ1 service is provided from Bautou base to Shijinhuan, which is less then 1 hour by fast train from Beijing.

Most Chinese don't speak English so communication problems are common and may ware you out. (However, you can take free Chinese classes provided by one of our HR team girls or get yourself an electronic translator which is endlessly helpful)

You will be away from your family and friends/girlfriend. You can visit them any time but it may be expensive to arrange. (The quality of local ladies isn't very high either but they are trying... lol. If you lower your standards you will get some action. Also, Beijing is accessible and full of good-looking women).

PanAm is managed by Chinese which means that you will need to be prepared for sudden and illogical decisions, bureaucracy, favoritism, corner-cutting, lack of planning and BS like that.

Anyways, I can’t think of anything else right now but if you need more info or priority employment application - don't hesitate to contact me. You can also send me you details so I can arrange our HR to call you for an interview. The whole recruitment process, from the interview to your arrival should not take more then 2-3 weeks.

I hope this helps, guys.

HH

Anonymus6
15th Nov 2007, 22:16
Why would someone go to china to instruct while there are CFI jobs in United Arab Emirates that payes 65000 US dollars a year and you will fly SR22 single engine and Very light jets for mulit training.

My friend use to work for PAN Am in china during his one year he flew 90 hours. 90 hours a year wooow. But now he flies Airbus 320 in Europe.

Good luck guys.

Hudson_Hawk
16th Nov 2007, 16:30
True, this was the case and a while ago. When did your friend leave ? Over 6 months ago or close to this figure ?

Things have changed and now on average we fly 80 hours per month. You can fly over 100 if you need time or under 50 if you just want to chill.

I don't know anything about SR22 job in UAE and it's the first time i hear about it. Do you have any details to share ? :confused:

skytrek21
18th Nov 2007, 16:40
Hudson,

The job in UAE is really good. It pays US $63K annually. They have ordered 40 SR22 turbo G3 models and 12 VLJ Eclipse 500's. I got hired last month and will be going there in Jan. Let me know if you need any more details and I'll let you know who to talk to and everything. If you need to contact me, it's 856-294-7804 (US)

sky

Hudson_Hawk
19th Nov 2007, 08:53
Thanks Sky!

Will give you a buzz regarding this shortly.

Airplane Crazy
23rd Nov 2007, 04:15
Skytrek I heard about that place. Just not sure cause from what I have heard that place is yet to start it's operation. Who knows it might be a great place, but you never know what to expect from a place like that. Thanks for the post though. Keep us updated and I'll give you a call one of these days. As for me I interviewed with two regionals and pretty much I got turned away from the front door as soon as they found out my visa is going toast in less than three months.

euindkan
19th Aug 2009, 12:21
Any recent news from Pan Am China

are those guys hiring ?

purple head
20th Aug 2009, 11:04
I think the school is closed with heavy debt.

ReverseFlight
21st Aug 2009, 03:41
Closure confirmed in Flightglobal article dated 28/04/09:
Beijing Pan Am International Academy closes as it seeks new investors (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/04/28/325684/beijing-pan-am-international-academy-closes-as-it-seeks-new.html)

taufiqpilot
22nd Aug 2009, 15:55
Try to apply Bali Flight Academy now, they are looking for instructors to be based in Bali, Indonesia. Salary $2000 per month + $13-$16 per hour.

Good luck!..

purple head
22nd Aug 2009, 16:19
i heard OAT from the UK met with some CAAC people, but the debt is too much and they refused.