PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA (Merged)

kapur.shiv
8th Nov 2007, 20:16
hey guys am in india i have a currrent FAA license with multi and ir and am working towards converting my license to an indian license
I also wanted to convert my license to a jaa license so please tell me how i shud go about it .. thanks

D-OCHO
11th Nov 2007, 10:12
Enroll in a JAA school.
Start studying.
Obtain JAA license through exam.
Good Luck

mightymouse111
13th Nov 2007, 12:01
Go to CAA website or Lasors and look up or if lazy just ask on pprune.
CPL conversion- Do all exams, then the CPL flying test, as I understand it no minimum training requirement.
IR conversion - 15 hours minimum training, then the IR flight test
PPL ME - CAA/JAA ME flight test (inc ME exam)

CloudPilot
19th Nov 2007, 04:19
Hey, what's the process of converting your FAA to Indian licenses?

zedflyer
25th Oct 2008, 10:20
I have an ATP FAA, with 2700 tt.

I would like to know, is it possible to get the FAA converted to JAR?
If not, am I required to do ALL 14 JAR exams?
Which school would be best in the EU, last, ground classes or
self study?

Anonymus6
25th Oct 2008, 10:44
yes, you need to do all the 14 exams. To do the skill test (check ride) depends on level of your experience. Have you flewn aircraft that is required to have a type rating, certified for 2 crew, and you have 500 hours in it. If yes, you can simply take a skill test on that type of aircraft once done with 14 exams. If most of your time is in Piston aircraft or instructional, then you need 2 skill test. One for CPL and one for IR.

Expect hard core studing,, this is not FAA,, FAA is a joke compared to JAA (theoretical part).

If you don't have the right to work in Europe, don't even waste your time converting.

Ground school for JAR,, I highly recomend Bristol Groundschool

good luck

itsbrokenagain
25th Oct 2008, 22:03
I think the info given below may not be correct, check out the bristol groundschool site, and give them an email, stay away from the florida schools offering this course and your life will be better!

Anonymus6
25th Oct 2008, 23:01
itsborkenagain

the information is not below it is above!!!

the information is correct, why I know this is just because I recently coverted FAA ATP to JAA license. you can go much more in depth how to convert FAA to JAA, what I mentioned above is just the basic.

Offcourse if you have 3000 hours Total time and 1500 PIC time in an aircraft that MTOM was more than 30000KG, then you would only sitt couple of exams(air law and one more, not all 14) and be able to fly UK regirsterd Aircraft. Even this is very hard to get approved by the UK CAA. Good luck with that. They might give you validation for one year if you are lucky.

Gulfstream IV
26th Oct 2008, 01:52
While you're on the subject of conversions. my question is similar but with a different spin to it. I have been told once you have your JAA ATPL (Frozen) with all of the skills test completed, that you will have 36months to get it "unfrozen" or you run the risk of having to retake all of the skills tests and the 14 exams, is this true?

mcgoo
26th Oct 2008, 02:27
No, you have 36 months from the date of the last ATPL exam to complete the CPL/IR or you have to sit the 14 exams again.

Pitch+Power
26th Oct 2008, 05:25
FAA is a joke compared to JAA

don't you mean JAA is a joke compared to FAA ? :sad:

Anonymus6
26th Oct 2008, 10:16
yes, I said FAA written exam for ATP is a joke compared to JAA. ONLY THE THEORETICAL PART.

good luck

Gulfstream IV
26th Oct 2008, 16:13
Okay I understand that 36months time frame. However, once you've completed the ATPL exams and the CPL/IR skills test, are there any other time frames imposed that I am unaware of? Does this question make any sense? In other words, other than keeping current, I won't loose my JAA ATPL frozen license due to some other time frames that I am unaware of. I can keep the JAA ATPL frozen license and never have to worry about loosing it or having to retake some exams? Is this true?

cheers!

Tinstaafl
27th Oct 2008, 02:16
True with a caveat: You must keep your IR valid ie renew it each year or the ATPL exam passes will eventually expire. Unlike the US IR, the JAA IR lapses after one year unless you renew it with a flight test.

Gulfstream IV
27th Oct 2008, 04:54
thank you that helps!

pltskiracer
27th Oct 2008, 08:45
Will I pass the exams by only studying the question bank??
(I have over 6000 hours and few thousand on heavy jets. Im not interested in learning the subjects, just passing the exams).

rallymadness
27th Oct 2008, 09:57
Does it take a long time also to convert an FAA PPL into a JAA one? I mean, once the theoretical exams and the check ride are done (in Florida), does it take long time to obtain the licence from caa?

Thanks

Gulfstream IV
27th Oct 2008, 14:39
I believe it takes 60 days before you get the license. it's not like the FAA which is given to you the same day.

act700
1st Nov 2008, 17:04
25th October 2008 23:25pilotwhiteQuote:
FAA is a joke compared to JAA
don't you mean JAA is a joke compared to FAA ? http://1.2.3.11/bmi/static.pprune.org/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

I have to second that. The Europeans are MASTERS at making things difficult. I tell you what, I hope that before the open skies bull$hit gets passed (all the way), they better come up with a better way to do licensing; for experienced pilots. What idiot came up with the rule that one can fly an "N" registered a/c throughout Europe with almost no restrictions, however, that same a/c europe-registered is off limits.

Also, in over 15 years of flying in the States, I have never been close to banging up an airplane. It took an awesome european trained and licensed pilot to show me how to run an aircraft (almost) out of gas. But he sure knew his theory!

BTW, I'm european.

poneb737
1st Nov 2008, 18:56
Hi,
Where did you get this information? I am searching for it but I didn't manage to have the full JAR-FCL explanation about that.
I know about the 14 exams and the 1500tt but impossible to find your info in the Spanish DGAC web page.
If you have a link about unfroze the ATPL with 3000 tt and 2 exams I will be very happy to have it.
Thank you

granlistillo
1st Nov 2008, 21:44
That is for G registered ac amigo, not EC registered planes.

Vliegenier
4th Nov 2008, 11:49
Have to agree with act700. Used to live in Las Vegas. Over flying the Las Vegas Strip was a beautiful experience, especially at night. That is now banned thanks to several JAA ppl's who continually ignored instructions to turn around at the Excalliber hotel (Impossible to miss as it looks like a giant castle), and flew on, crossing the the end of the runways at Las Vegas Itnl, causing jets to have to abort T/O or landings. But they knew their theories..........In fact, at the FBO where I was training we used to regularly get European tourists wanting to hire aircraft. Again, those ppl's knew all the theory, but had no idea how to fly, so the school stopped renting to them (particulary to those from the continent, UK guys weren't so bad).

INNflight
4th Nov 2008, 13:48
I have to agree, it's sooo acceptable to generalize. US / UK = good - OKish pilots, European mainlanders and Indians are medicore - bad pilots :E

Not that it matters, I'm a Euro mainland pilot with FAA licenses :}

--

Let's face it, the JAA ATPL theory is overdosed and in big parts totally useless. It sure doesn't make you a better pilot but hey, if you wanna fly EU-regged planes, you gotta overcome it :(

fadedfootpaths
4th Nov 2008, 15:09
have to agree, it's sooo acceptable to generalize. US / UK = good - OKish pilots, European mainlanders and Indians are medicore - bad pilots

I dont think so:= You can never categorize the abilities of a Pilot based on where he is from. The place where one gets trained from does matter, But NOT the way you think. There are a lot of people who have been trained in Russia or Moldova or Ukraine or Fillipines and can fly better than a lot of people who have been trained at CTC or Naples or any "GOOD" Flight schools in the UK or US.

INNflight
4th Nov 2008, 15:54
I dont think so You can never categorize the abilities of a Pilot based on where he is from.

.........sarcasm anyone? :ouch: