PDA

View Full Version : 1st airline interview

zedflyer
8th Nov 2007, 18:06
to the experienced pilots, I have been invited for an interview
with a major airline on B737.
What sites are there to prepare for an interview,
and any advise on what : documents to take/the interview/dress-code etc.
:)

trafficcontrol
8th Nov 2007, 18:21
Sorry I contain no ifno but how Major is Major!? :D Sound really exciting, and wish you all the best of luck!

asuweb
8th Nov 2007, 18:22
There are a few good books out there for brushing up before interviews. "Ace the technical pilot interview" is a good one for brushing up on the technical aspects.

The most important thing, is be yourself, and know yourself. By that I mean, know what you have achieved in life, your experiences of leadership, teamwork, decision making etc, and have examples (prefferably more than 1) which can clearly illustrate these things.

As for what to take, that probably depends on the airline, however obviously take your license, logbooks etc.

Dress-code, I would have thought that was obvious. Unless your flying your 737 low level around the bush, I would avoid turning up in shorts, t-shirt and baseball cap. :}

Best of luck

Callsign Kilo
8th Nov 2007, 18:24
Bloody hell mate 'dress code' - jeans and a t-shirt. :p What do you think old chum?

Prep, well I'd look at b737.org.co.uk for want of a better site.

I'd also gen up on most things jet orientated. Swept wings, coffin corner, Mcrit, High Bypass turbofans etc

Company history - check their website, know their fleet, expansion plans etc

Be prepared for the usual 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years' & 'describe a time when you dealt with a difficult situation with a successful outcome' type questions.

Above all, be prepared. Best of luck to you :ok:

badboy raggamuffin
8th Nov 2007, 19:54
rehearse answers to the usual "difficult questions"

so- why should we hire you?
so- how do you think ur gonna cope, jumping from a light twin to a 737, is it not a big step up for you?
Why flying? how long have you been interested in it?

Dress code, if I was you id try and get hold of a pilot's uniform from somewhere, complete with epaulets and hat, show them u mean business.

dartagnan
8th Nov 2007, 20:05
yes, epaulettes make the difference.
specially with 4 captain strips. some of my friends got jobs like this and fly the A340. they want see how you look if you work for them.

good luck!

Muppet99
9th Nov 2007, 08:48
yes, epaulettes make the difference.

Are you being serious?

dartagnan
9th Nov 2007, 08:57
absolutely!

Mercenary Pilot
9th Nov 2007, 09:03
I think not :suspect:

badboy raggamuffin
9th Nov 2007, 09:25
Epaulets are a good idea!

Wore some to a recent interview and got the job! If you turn up looking like a pilot they are more likely to hire you, its all a subconscious thing.

JetSetJ
9th Nov 2007, 09:39
Hi there,

Would this 'major 737 operator' happen to be Ryanair??

Regards

JJ:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
9th Nov 2007, 09:41
Nah, he said "major airline" on the 737. :p

badboy raggamuffin, I would be interested to hear who you got a job with?

Callsign Kilo
9th Nov 2007, 10:07
Look-The-Part Airlines ;)

badboy raggamuffin
9th Nov 2007, 12:51
Actually it was Pisstake Airways, (pronounced pish-tak-ee), a polish outfit.

Muppet99
9th Nov 2007, 15:40
i would probably advise against wearing epaulets (however it's spelt). go for a standard suit.

neilia
9th Nov 2007, 22:06
If you're not going to do epaulettes, at least wear a pilot's cap.

The Otter's Pocket
10th Nov 2007, 13:07
And polish your shoes, the amount of people who turn up for interviews, assessments and the like with crappy shoes, no polish and mud in the welts is beyond comprehension.
Also if you do need to shave, do.
There were several people at the EOC who looked like they had been dragged through a hedge backwards. Good luck. The early post about swept wing etc I think is very astute.

Mercenary Pilot
10th Nov 2007, 16:21
Actually it was Pisstake Airways, (pronounced pish-tak-ee), a polish outfit

I thought they were Irish?

zedflyer
11th Nov 2007, 06:40
to avoid confusion, the "major airline" I would call is
Virgin Nigeria. If this is not major to some I apologise,
as this is my first "airline" interview.:)

Thank you for the replies.

EGCC4284
11th Nov 2007, 10:59
zedflyer

Well done on getting the interview. You only get one chance. Wear a suit and tie and make sure your shoe's are polished.

I went to 3 interviews wearing a suit I bought from George at ASDA and passed all 3 interviews. ASDA is known for being a cheap supermarket store here in the UK. I also wore it to the sim assessments that followed my interviews. The jacket cost me £27 and the trousers £7. They have gone up in price a bit now but I am sure you will get a smart jacket and trousers from there. I cannot be doing with all this bull**** of spend £100's because its got a brand name on it.

Wear a white shirt and a nice relaxing coulored tie, preferably blue. I would avoid wearing a red tie.

At your interview, be yourself, be positive and smile.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

PM me if you need to get in touch.

Rob

badboy raggamuffin
11th Nov 2007, 12:56
Second the advice on asda, their cheap suits are of remarkably high quality. My 10quid george shoes have served me through many an interview and sim check without giving me a single blister.

Hows this guy gonna get anything from ASDA though when he lives in Zambia?

Peelay
11th Nov 2007, 13:39
Just what i was thinking!

The Vicar of Bray
12th Nov 2007, 11:17
Does anyone know what comes on the technical exam for Virgin Nigeria?

phillpot
12th Nov 2007, 21:25
Went for interview today -

Suit ,white shirt, polished shoes -check
Company profile, history, share price,ethos -check
Aircraft technical specs -check
Licences logbooks etc -check

Walked into the interview room and all that prep left me along with the ability to string a sentence together without connecting each word with ummm !!!!

Still came up with really great answers for the questions , in the car on the way home.

DOH!!!!!!

Still you never know your luck the rest of the candidates may have turned up wearing ape outfits singing hey nonny nonny! unlikely but heres hoping!:ugh:

Cypres
25th Nov 2007, 19:11
I went to 3 interviews wearing a suit I bought from George at ASDA and passed all 3 interviews.

EGCC4284 - Was it the suit, the curly hair or the striking resemblence to Dr Hiliary? :) Just teasing, how's it going Rob Have you recovered from your night on the sauce? Hope to see you on Tuesday in KY. :ok:

EGCC4284
25th Nov 2007, 23:31
Was a good night out.

Dr Hilary or Diarmuid Gavin

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e162/EGCC4284/Diarmuid_gavin_headshot.jpg

Any news from you guys who went for the Virgin Nigeria job interviews.

lebrao
28th Nov 2007, 00:14
Dear friends, thank's the help.
I'm going to a VN interview too and here colected some nice tips!
See you there:ok:

ibelieveicanfly
28th Nov 2007, 13:50
Are you joking or what?
Til now I passed all my interviews.
You should come in business attire of course with the sense of detail but not coming like an actor or clown(hat and /or stripes!!).
just ask yourself how the interviewers would like to see you(your dress code not your personnality)

Propellerhead
29th Nov 2007, 20:00
Not sure about a cheap polyester suit from ASDA - you're gonna look like a used car salesman! It wasn't green was it? Airline's want someone who is going to set an example and represent the company. And whilst variety inside an airline can be a good thing you can 'express yourself' once you've got a secure job so for the interview think conservative (with a small c)! Just make sure you look Professional (with a big P!) - grey / navy / dark suit, plain shirt with a brightish tie works for me. No tacky cufflinks, loud stripey shirts, mickey mouse ties / socks etc! And do the top button up - seems to be the latest thing to leave it undone!