PDA

View Full Version : Diwali--Festival of Lights

Nevrekar
8th Nov 2007, 11:32
To all of you celebrating Diwali, best wishes and a happy holiday season!

vinayak
8th Nov 2007, 16:05
happy diwali to u too :)

fullforward
8th Nov 2007, 23:02
Please give us a brief on what Diwali means in terms of celebration/habits etc
Is it a religous celebration, like Christmas?

NG Driver
9th Nov 2007, 01:01
Im in year one here, so don't quote me but it's the Hindu New Year (today, Friday the 9th) probably changes each year... They had some firecrackers last night, shop like it's Christmas (another bad habit, along with the culture of celebrity they got from us :-). However, eeryone goes to work today, officially, but I don't know in Practice.....

SuperRanger
9th Nov 2007, 01:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

SOTV
9th Nov 2007, 01:46
Diwali seems to almost always coincide with Guy Fawkes Night. Back in Brum a few years ago we had awesome displays in the local parks. Handel's 'music for fireworks' and Hindu music in turns. Hot dogs and burgers along with sweetmeats and pan. A very good night out for the family.

Left Wing
9th Nov 2007, 01:47
wishing every one a v happy diwali....:ok::ok:

training wheels
9th Nov 2007, 03:49
Happy diwali to all. :) .. BTW, is this the same festival as the one in Singapore and Malaysia where they poke themselves with spears without bleeding? Awesome stuff!

rdr
9th Nov 2007, 04:43
No that one is in Feb and called Thaipusam, and is celebrated only by South Indians. Diwali is the Christian equivalent of Christmas in importance. It is also known as the Festival of Lights and signifies the truimph of good over evil. This one is celebrated all over India by the Hindus.
Happy Diwali to all.:):)

vinayak
9th Nov 2007, 05:40
celebrated by all indians... not just hindus... cheers!:ok:

rdr
9th Nov 2007, 09:20
thanks, i stand corrected.

axialflow
9th Nov 2007, 13:21
Happy Diwali...Diwali shub kamnaye

Wishing everyone a peaceful and profitable year.

Ax

HolyMoley
9th Nov 2007, 16:45
I'm just glad I'm not on an early shift tomorrow. What a noise!!
Happy Divali!!
(Gurgaon, Delhi)

vinayak
9th Nov 2007, 17:00
hahah, yeah there is!! like a warzone!!

Rotorhead1026
9th Nov 2007, 17:15
I just landed on 9 at Hyderabad. If the smoke from fireworks gets any thicker they'll have to switch to the ILS on 27. All in good fun, though!:)