PDA

View Full Version : Air Taxi work

crap pilot
7th Nov 2007, 17:39
How easy is it to get into air taxi work? Assuming that I had 700 hours TT with enough multi P1 IFR would it be difficult to find work (anywhere in the UK)?
I am in the situation where I can spend the money on either an MCC course or some multi hours but dont want to spend the money on the hours if im not going to get some air taxi work.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
7th Nov 2007, 19:17
If you have 700hrs and the ability to do the job (not always the same thing) there is plenty of work out there; you'll have no trouble getting work. Most piston operators are short of pilots right now and in this sector at least, it's a pilots market.

MIKECR
7th Nov 2007, 19:53
With over 700 hours and plenty IFR(assuming multi) time then i'd be setting my sights a hell of a lot higher than a piston taxi job. Regional TP Operators will be sending you xams cards with that kind of experience!

MIKECR
7th Nov 2007, 19:55
...........and best do your MCC!

Fair_Weather_Flyer
7th Nov 2007, 20:05
Well Mike, the problem is that the TP operators only start to get interested once you have the air taxi time. I had 700hrs+, multi IFR time and none were in the sligtest bit interested; that all changed with the air taxi job!

MIKECR
7th Nov 2007, 20:28
Sorry mate but i dont agree. Regional TP Ops are looking for quick command potential, if you've got nearly 1000 hours then you've got no probs at all. Plenty guys round my neck of the woods that are FI's are long gone, the Logan's and Eastern's of this world have snapped them up and promoted them as soon as the ATPL has been unfrozen. I dont know any of them that have done any air taxi work, let alone any IFR or multi stuff since they did their initial ratings. The ever growing beast that is Flybe will undoubtedly swallow up another load of '500 - 1000 hours' guys when the winter recruitment drive starts next week.

Todders
7th Nov 2007, 20:59
Hey guys anyone know of any available jobs? I'm clp-ir'd i guess what you would call your average wannabe on here. Had a interview with a certain airline got selected and placed in there hold pool only to have my job put on hold as it where.

Educated one's amongst you will know which airline i'm talking about. Things are starting to get time limited for me as i need to get flying again so i'd would love to hear about any opertunities.

Thankyou in advance.

crap pilot
7th Nov 2007, 21:00
Many thanks for your veiws. The truth is that I would quite like to work my way up the avaition ladder and will shortly have the experience required to fly single pilot IFR. I understand that the work is hard and im under no illusions that it will be a walk in the park but the truth is that I just want the experience before moving onto TP or Jet.

MIKECR
7th Nov 2007, 21:12
Your being very honourable but your going to end up letting opportunites pass you buy.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
7th Nov 2007, 21:15
He's right; push for a jet or TP job and if that doesn't come off look for air taxi work. I only did it because a jet opportunity slipped away.

shaun ryder
8th Nov 2007, 07:51
Push for THE AIR TAXI JOB ASWELL! I have done both instructing and air taxi. I will tell you now that jet jobs are becoming more scarce, flying the combine harvester for flybe will probably be an option but dont rely on getting the call! I think it is admiral that you want to fly single pilot IFR! Most of the advice to your question is I suspect from guys who have never done it. Your cv will stand above the single piston guys with 1000hrs gauranteed, there is no comparison with the multi IFR pilot. You will develop real command experience flying on your tod all over the place in real world conditions. Why sit on your backside waiting for a job in the airlines that may not turn up? Further your career now and get doing some REAL flying!

adverse-bump
8th Nov 2007, 22:51
Crap pilot, if you ever fancy some P2 work on ME a/c, drop me an email, its always good to have a helping hand!

madlandrover
11th Nov 2007, 11:47
Any room for another helping hand, bit less total time though?

usedtofly
13th Nov 2007, 05:42
Hi Crap Pilot,

Single Pilot air taxi flying is no walk in the park. Long hours flying old piston a/c for operators working on a tight budget. You have to file your own plans, organise the catering, carry the luggage, clean the a/c.......blah blah blah. It is a lonely hard existence.

Multi Pilot is MUCH more fun, MUCH safer and you will be flying nicer a/c (turbo prop or fan it doesn't matter which).

Aim higher and only settle for less when all else fails...........

Me? oh yes, been there, done that, never again! Now flying decent a/c and loving EVERY minute!

Get the MCC is my advice coz without it you will be limiting your options.

All the best

UTF :)

Life's a Beech
14th Nov 2007, 00:58
usedtofly

Bollocks

I have filed my own flight plans, but not for about a year and it was rare before that, usually because I hadn't trained our ops staff well enough to my preferences. Everyone works on a tight budget, but I know my boss and know he wants me to live. I don't work for a faceless corporation or an Irishman who doesn't give a :mad:.

Yes I organise the catering, and carry the luggage when I carry pax, but my boss then knows that I am why the customer comes back. And he lets me know that, in the bar, where it matters. And I actually like most of my passengers, and have never had to call for armed police to quell them. Some of them are fantastically interesting too, and I look forward to carrying them again. And I can talk to them.

It is no walk in the park. But for a real pilot it is a brilliant time.

I can see why you choose your moniker. You used to fly. Now you just sit there and control an aircraft. I would miss the flying.

crap pilot
14th Nov 2007, 18:34
Many thanks for ALL of the replies:D. As a direct result of this thread I have been offered employment with a charter company and I start on Monday doing just the type of work that I was looking for.:ok:

madlandrover
14th Nov 2007, 18:39
Good effort :ok:

turbotone
15th Nov 2007, 12:10
which charter company are you working for? I am struggling to get first flying job - frozen atpl, mcc, all exams passed.

Desparate to keep current and get some experience..

EGCC4284
15th Nov 2007, 12:18
Some of them are fantastically interesting too

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=291611

15th Nov 2007, 12:25
I have filed my own flight plans, but not for about a year and it was rare before that, usually because I hadn't trained our ops staff well enough to my preferences. Everyone works on a tight budget, but I know my boss and know he wants me to live. I don't work for a faceless corporation or an Irishman who doesn't give a .
Yes I organise the catering, and carry the luggage when I carry pax, but my boss then knows that I am why the customer comes back. And he lets me know that, in the bar, where it matters. And I actually like most of my passengers, and have never had to call for armed police to quell them. Some of them are fantastically interesting too, and I look forward to carrying them again. And I can talk to them.
It is no walk in the park. But for a real pilot it is a brilliant time.
I can see why you choose your moniker. You used to fly. Now you just sit there and control an aircraft. I would miss the flying.
Well said Life's a Beech!:D It's a shame that sort of work doesn't pay a bit better though because it's a fantastic one

usedtofly
18th Nov 2007, 12:01
Life's a beach

Well, with an attitude like yours then the rest of us are fortunate that you remain single crew. I would not like to have you as my F/O.

I also note with interest that you regard yourself as a 'real pilot' because you fly air taxi.......get over yerself and knock those chips off yer shoulder!!!

By the way, I never said anything to indicate the type of flying I do now, so I can not understand how you feel qualified to make such sweeping remarks as 'just sit there and control an aircraft'

Keep up the good work Life's a beach

UTF ;)

Life's a Beech
18th Nov 2007, 13:59
usedtofly

My attitude is fine. I just have an odd notion that when people are giving advice to others it should be accurate, not based on bias, misapprehension, or an assumption that everyone else is just like you! The last of those is one of the things I would most hate to encounter in the cockpit. I accept that single-crew IFR is not for everyone, but I am one of many people who love it, although I also like training sometimes for the company and co-operation.

If you make comments about "aim higher" than air taxi work, then you can kind of expect some digs about you not being a real pilot from those of us who would not choose the same hierarchy as you, especially with your chosen user name. Saying that multicrew flying is "more fun", when from colleagues who have moved on to it have said that it is a lot less fun, at least in many sectors of the industry, you are asking to be taken apart!

If you imply very directly that my aircraft aren't decent then my sympathy is not going to be forthcoming!

usedtofly
18th Nov 2007, 16:36
Life's a beach,

I certainly don't want this to turn in to a slanging match. However I will address a few points......

My initial advice was (is) based on my experience, not assumptions. I do admit that is is biased but everyone who offers advice (including you) will do so based on their own experiences and individual biases, ask someone for advice, what else do you expect?

When I said 'aim higher' I did not mean to offend those of you who fly air taxi and apologise if I have caused offence. I was simply suggesting that Crap Pilot might like to look further afield, as one or two others had already mentioned.

Regarding multi crew I do not know of a single pilot who after having moved on to multi crew turbine has ever said they missed flying single pilot piston a/c.

From your statements it is apparent that you work in a good company with very reasonable owners, however the majority are not so fortunate.

As to the type of flying itself, I think that single pilot IFR is the hardest type of work out there and I have great respect for all those of you who do it. My point is that in my experience multi pilot flying is safer and less stressful (but still hugely enjoyable).

Perhaps we can leave it at that? as Crap Pilot has now landed a job (well done by the way C.P)

Cheers

UTF

Life's a Beech
18th Nov 2007, 19:01
I know many who moved on to multi-crew, and missed this type of flying. The person I replaced, a close friend, always said that he would come straight back if he was not bonded. You might have a different experience, but that does not justify comment on a whole section of the industry!

I know people who have worked for bad employers in the industry, but the same with all sections of the industry. I know more good companies in GA than poor ones.

Out of curiosity - why the user name?

Crap Pilot - good effort! Hope you have as much fun as I have had!

Phil Brockwell
19th Nov 2007, 15:58
If anyone has 400TT, 300 PIC, 40 ME IFR and fancies freezing their gnards off over the irish sea 5 nights a week sned a cv through to me.

Phil

TEDS GONE
10th Dec 2007, 10:17
Pilots do need to gain operational experience in AIR TAXI just to make them better pilots in the future. A lot of pilots that have done there time in Air Taxi operations tend to be more helpful and understand Commercial Pressures.

AlphaMale
10th Dec 2007, 10:35
That is what I thought.

But having read and made a couple of comments here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=303154).

It seems I was wrong, I'm still going to work my way up the ladder though, getting to the LHS of a Jet is my goal but working my way up the ladder flying the smaller stuff in the weather as opposed to over it has surly got to make you a better pilot?

I'm going to enjoy my journey and fly as many different types as I can.

If only I had 400TT, 300 PIC & 40 ME IFR :ugh:... I would love to be in a position to apply for a flying job freezing my gnards off over the irish sea 5 nights a week. Guess I'll have to wait ;)

shaun ryder
10th Dec 2007, 17:05
Talking about it today funnily enough in an air conditioned turbojet cockpit. Oh how we miss those nights flying at -20 degrees IAT on your jack! Well done crap pilot, take it slow out there this winter!

;)

Leo45
11th Dec 2007, 13:31
"Regarding multi crew I do not know of a single pilot who after having moved on to multi crew turbine has ever said they missed flying single pilot piston a/c."

Well,I do! Nothing beats single crew with a mixture of VFR/IFR on a light twin; one day flying to Heathrow the following day to Haydock Park etc...The sensation of freedom is vey much there, not at FL470 with the AP on, flying millionaires around and spending quite a bit of time in a hotel room or on standby:bored:

flynowpaylater
11th Dec 2007, 16:50
It's very easy. Pilots that have operated in the air taxi sector, by definition, are commanders. Decision making skills, and general operating ability are honed operating in this environment. Balancing air safety with commercial and operational requirements, and generally understanding how the industry works. For sure, 90% move on, often to the airlines, and in most cases, leapfrog other F/O's into the left hand seat.

Don't forget, that most airline management pilots have probably operated air taxi at some time in there career, and therefore understand the benefit of experience it brings.

Granite City Flyer
12th Dec 2007, 16:46
"Regarding multi crew I do not know of a single pilot who after having moved on to multi crew turbine has ever said they missed flying single pilot piston a/c."

I do, I'd go back in a heartbeat - if someone would pay me £65k a year to do it.

12th Dec 2007, 18:03
Regarding multi crew I do not know of a single pilot who after having moved on to multi crew turbine has ever said they missed flying single pilot piston a/c.

I do too. Very much more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame it doesn't pay the mortgage.

Mercenary Pilot
12th Dec 2007, 18:06
I miss it, although i'd miss flying multi crew if i wasn't doing that ether. :ok:

apruneuk
15th Dec 2007, 09:32
Having instructed, flown single pilot air taxi/freight and now multi-crew bizjet I can honestly say that they all have their up and downsides.

However, the air taxi time was by far the most demanding flying that I have ever undertaken. Only those that have flown for 4 hours across Europe at FL90 at night in bad weather at -15 whilst trying to programme a 20 year old KNS80 Rnav box and read a torn low altitude enroute chart will know what I mean. It defines loneliness, especially when the only company you have is a liver in an ice box! It taught me more about myself than any psyco. test has ever done.

Would I go back to it from my comfy, heated cabin at FL400? Probably not as the total job is still much the same. I just do it higher and faster now and share the workload with another pilot (who, like most of my colleagues flew single crew commercial in a previous life).

crap pilot
11th Jan 2008, 17:08
If there is anybody out there looking for air taxi work the company that I work for is looking for CVs from anybody with (or very close to) 700hours TT. pm me for details.