PDA

View Full Version : Dutch pirate radio closed down for H'row interference

Self Loading Freight
5th Nov 2007, 10:14
Nothing in the papers, but on a pirate radio bulletin board the proprietor of Westcoast Radio tells all...

"Westcoast Raid 3925 khz. 01-11-2007 13:45
I was testing with an Modulator with higher voltage and made some
adjustments , I was walking down to listen to the tuberadio in the livingroom , it was sounding good , after that i walked to my car to put my parking card at the
good time , a 100 mtr's from i saw some policemen walking ',,and i thought ,,just at time,,...., but they came for another reason ... they say to me that , they knew that there was an Shortwave TX in use at 3925 khz. ,and they want entry to my house , i ask for theyre legitimation and other papers, i saw it , and they came with me to the studio and also AT''s Mr. Walraven and his colleque arrived , they told me that my transmitter made inteference
to the UK Heathrow Airplane field in Londen , especially to the transatlantic airtraffic, They enjoy the music, but not the freq. 3925 .... "

http://www.alfalima.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7125&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

R

captplaystation
5th Nov 2007, 10:18
As long as they leave "Rock Radio" open on 675 who cares. It is essential according my company SOP's that I back up my 2 GPS / 2 IRS / 2 FMC with stone-age Nav, and it is only good airmanship to frequently ident it.

S76Heavy
5th Nov 2007, 19:03
It is also great at warning you about potential TS when the static increases..:}

glad rag
5th Nov 2007, 20:00
:confused: Sorry what is TS?

Wycombe
5th Nov 2007, 21:16
Pilots speak for Thunderstorms - the "stone age nav" referred to above can point towards them rather than the beacon it should be!

Self Loading Freight
5th Nov 2007, 22:58
Thinking about this, 3925 kHz isn't, as far as I know, an aeronautical frequency (and nor is the most likely harmonic, 7850 kHz). So I wonder who they really annoyed...

Anyone actually ever heard Westcoast Radio in the course of their duties?

R

Sallyann1234
6th Nov 2007, 09:37
You are right. I have already checked all the obvious harmonics and none of them coincide with ICAO HF frequencies. It's possible that it was another spurious output, perhaps from a faulty synthesizer.
Or the Dutch authorities were just using possible interference to a safety-of-life service as an excuse to close it down. Not a bad thing IMO as harmful interference is always a possibility with unlicensed, unregulated transmitters.