PDA

View Full Version : Router Problems Belkin F5D5231-4

Shaft109
4th Nov 2007, 22:34
I'm running a wired router, a Belkin F5D5231-4 which I'm having trouble updating. It tells me (from the browser control page) that a new firmware update is available but when I download it and the tell the router where it is on my HD, it fails to update leaving certain ports "open" on the GRC port scan page.

All my computers still run software firewalls but I'm stuck as to what to do.

Any advice appreciated!

bnt
4th Nov 2007, 23:37
That's a bit odd:
- how do you know it fails to update? Have you compared the version numbers, of the running version and the version you downloaded?
- are you expecting a firmware update to change the configuration (close ports)? That assumes the update resets the router to defaults, which might not be the case.
- Can't you just close the ports you want closed? I agree that you wouldn't want any open unless you were running a server behind it.

Shaft109
5th Nov 2007, 06:53
I had to reset it manually by pressing the small button on the rear once, I can only assume this reset the firmware to the factory setting, but before this it showed all ports closed.

I have tried both manual and automatic update, and can download the correct files but after it has gone through the motions it still says update available so obviously doesn't take.

I know that each computer behind it has all ports stealthed so any scan ends at the router, and it shows some ports open.

Also at the set up page Unplug and play keeps being enabled even after I set it to be disabled. Possibly a virus infection on a computer telling it what to do?