PDA

View Full Version : Whoops - the bat is out of the CAG.. 3!!!

6Z3
4th Nov 2007, 17:17
Once retrieved a baby bat who suddenly emerged from behind the sound-proofing during rotors engagement in an Ark Royal CAG Sea King whilst at Portland.
Anyone else had a close encounter of the furry/feathery/scaly kind?

Shackman
4th Nov 2007, 17:24
Fruit Bat strike whilst downwind in the circuit at night at Gan. Through the windscreen and then started trying to eat the co-pilot. He wasn't particularly impressed as they were supposed to carry rabies.

Shackman
4th Nov 2007, 18:19
Take your pick ;)

Toxteth O'Grady
4th Nov 2007, 19:11
Saw Peter Bonetti get of an ASaC Sea King once.

DX Wombat
4th Nov 2007, 19:20
For your own sakes please be very careful when handling bats in the UK. Some colonies, especially those of Daubenton's Bats, have RABIES. They should be handled only when you are wearing protective gloves and if bitten, you should seek immediate medical advice. DEFRA's (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/rabies/handlers.htm) website has approprate information. You have enough danger to contend with in your work without adding rabies to the list.

Shackman
4th Nov 2007, 20:17
I rest my case.:p

27mm
5th Nov 2007, 06:10
Not a live animal, but while training on the Jet Provost, one winter's morning I was doing the external walkround checks and noticed a strange smell coming from the left fuselage, from behind the first-aid kit access panel - on opening said panel I found a steak and kidney pie, which a liney had put there to warm up......

22/7 Master
5th Nov 2007, 12:29
Flying back from Bulwark to Akrotiri last year, again in a mighty King, when one of the pilots down the back took his flying helmet off to scratch his bonce. Imagine his suprise when a 6 inch long millipede jumped out and headed for the baggage.

The said pilot had flown for about 3 hours with it nuzzling his swede....

Millipede float-tested and found wanting.

Then there was the incident of the snake on Ex Ocean Wave. As Hissing Sid kept flitting between the different compartments of the Sea King the gingers couldn't decide if it was a grubber or a greenie problem. It may still be there.......

6Z3
5th Nov 2007, 15:48
Must have been an 826 cab

Buzz Control
5th Nov 2007, 17:42
The aircraft was an 845 cab onboard the Fearless (Death Star). Said Tree Viper crawled out of the stbd electronics bay vent under the pilots window and crawled up the side into the gearbox area and then into the rotor head beanie. AEO was told where to go by many maintenance staff when told to remove it. Hissing sid was removed by stunning with a co2 fire extinuisher. Incident signal noted regret Tree Viper is now a sea Viper.

6Z3
6th Nov 2007, 08:00
BC,
Sorry I was being cryptic; twas the motto that sprang to my mind:
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadrons/826crest.jpg
Motto: Latet Anquis In Aqua (A Snake Lies Concealed In The Water)
At long last the mystery behind this famous squadron's motto is solved!