PDA

View Full Version : Panorama - 05/11/07 - 21:00

dave_perry
4th Nov 2007, 14:14
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=92&programmeId=68849177&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

This is on tomorrow 2100 on BBC1, worth a watch I think.:)

Report Line
4th Nov 2007, 15:36
Cheers for the heads up Dave.:)

artdes
4th Nov 2007, 17:28
and after... http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=26&programmeId=68849554&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

:ok:

dave_perry
4th Nov 2007, 18:22
Yeah Ive watch the whole series so far of commandoes. Its brill! :)

OHP 15M
4th Nov 2007, 19:25
... and on the same channel at 8:00 pm :ok:

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=92&programmeId=68848875&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

SPIT
5th Nov 2007, 16:48
Hi OHP 51M
Ref your last posting about the heads up, "YOU WERE JOKING WERN'T YOU":confused::confused::confused::confused:

OHP 15M
5th Nov 2007, 18:22
Good evening Spit,

;) :p :) :ok:

Melchett01
5th Nov 2007, 21:01
Another excellent BBC production on Afghanistan ops.

I can only hope that the human face of UK plc operations so touchingly shown rubs off on the majority of the population who have no real idea about ops in Iraq or Afghanistan and the effects that they have on the troops of ALL services and specializations.

High_lander
5th Nov 2007, 21:05
Good programme. V.good programme.

In the footage taken by the grenadier, was it me, or could you see the munition (looked like Paveway) before it hit?

Al R
5th Nov 2007, 21:14
The reminder of the amount of casualties was poignant indeed. Good footage of troop mentality and the lethargic grinding pace that firefights sometimes have.

Guzlin Adnams
5th Nov 2007, 21:37
Respect......total respect.
So many daily "problems" pale into insignificance.

I heard radio 2 discussion recently on what are troops are going through at the moment. The times I heard idiots saying words to the effect of " that's what they joined up for" " they shouldn't be whinging because they knew what could happen" etc. I couldn't believe some of it. Selfish barstewards. Hope their investments dissapear and negatvie equity blights them as that's all they understand.
I almost long to come across ignorance like this so I can give them the bollikcin of their lives. :ugh:

Respect and good luck.

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Nov 2007, 21:38
Humbling :(

stiknruda
5th Nov 2007, 21:53
Noticed the (always a civvy) significant-other sobbing when Tottenham L/Cpl mentioned 3 weeks to go.

Good informative programme making, hopefully enough folk will have watched it to have it discussed at the water cooler/coffee machine in their offices tomorrow.

Stik

MightyGem
5th Nov 2007, 21:54
Very good programme, one of the better Panoramas. If you missed it it's here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/programmes/panorama/default.stm) for the next week.

Impiger
5th Nov 2007, 21:57
Good show indeed and in keeping with the Chaucerian title can we now expect: 'Afghanistan - the Airman's Story' with lots of footage of CH47s in clouds of dust while shooting up LZs and even more pictures of GR9 guys delivering bombs to order and of course the mighty Albert bravely slogging back and forth not to mention the Airbridge and the C17s - oh and the FP guys at KAF and movers at KAF and KIA and ...

Great stuff its time Joe Public got to understand more of what we're all up to every day.

PPRuNe Pop
5th Nov 2007, 22:36
What a powerful and humbling programme. They all deserve our utmost respect in what is quite clearly a most difficult situation.

I just hope that the politicians understood what was going on and will give more, much much more, support to these guys and girls. Bloody depressing for me, God knows what our soldiers feel.

God speed guys.

dodgysootie
5th Nov 2007, 22:56
Cracking programme, Respect is due to all on the ground and ALL those in the air looking out for them!....
DS

Pilot Pacifier
5th Nov 2007, 23:26
Can we now expect: 'Afghanistan - the Airman's Story' with lots of footage of CH47s in clouds of dust while shooting up LZs?
Already been done, BBC's program One Life, 'Above Enemy Lines' aired back on Oct 19th. If you missed it, you can see it all on YouTube here...

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=oddball71&p=r

You'll have to look on the second page for it as the person hosting it has rather a lot of programs that you can download.

GasFitter
5th Nov 2007, 23:53
I served with Maj David on his first tour in Afghanistan. What a great bloke and the programme did him justice.

If you read this Martin:

It seems that our Thursday night 'appointments' with the Carabinieri in the Commonwealth Tent prepared you well!!!!!

Well Done, mate!

'Wurz'

Tigs2
6th Nov 2007, 00:05
Impiger

Good show indeed and in keeping with the Chaucerian title can we now expect: 'Afghanistan - the Airman's Story' with lots of footage of CH47s in clouds of dust while shooting up LZs and even more pictures of GR9 guys delivering bombs to order and of course the mighty Albert bravely slogging back and forth not to mention the Airbridge and the C17s - oh and the FP guys at KAF and movers at KAF and KIA and ...

Careful mate you sound a little bitter in the latter half of the post! As Pilot Pacifier said, it has already been covered recently about the Chinnook guys. They (The BBC) cannot make documentarys about everyone. Remember, out in Afghanistan and Iraq, we are PURPLE. Everyone is in the British Military, fighting for and supporting the British Military. As an SH pilot of many years, I was proud to see these men tonight on Panorama.

Good Drills Boys, and a very rare (from me) thank you to the BBC (second time in a month!!!):D:D:D:D

Gasfitter

Lucky man:ok: Judge your life by the friends and the collegues you keep!

Vie sans frontieres
6th Nov 2007, 06:40
Good work guys, both soldiers on Panorama last night and aircrew on Above Enemy Lines (You Tube) - but the crewman bleating about vomit on the seat was a bit much considering what the troops have to go through once they're off the aircraft. Think what you like mate, but vocalising it for the cameras just makes you look like a bit of a dick really and gives crewmen a bad name. :=

FHA
6th Nov 2007, 07:13
Good point V S F: I wish they'd edited that out.
In my experience, it's the linies who are left to clear it up anyway.;)

cornish-stormrider
6th Nov 2007, 07:55
Panorama, absolutely spot on. It should be made compulsory watching for the spineless gits in westmiser. I really felt for the lads.

airborne_artist
6th Nov 2007, 08:08
Eighty days continuously in the field, with contacts lasting 15+ hours - incredible.

South Bound
6th Nov 2007, 08:14
Really compelling viewing, well done all involved.

(Still gobsmacked about the ANA chappie getting his magazine blown off on screen - how lucky was he???)

BattlerBritain
6th Nov 2007, 09:05
Great programme and a great bunch of lads.

I had to admire that 23yr old L/Cpl. He had a maturity a lot older than that - certainly more than me when I was that age.

Come back safe lads.

Epimetheus
6th Nov 2007, 09:09
Picked this up in the e-mail today, attributed to a soldier out serving in warmer places. I put it here rather than start a new thread, seeing as this thread has a tone of humility and due recognition to it this morning. All the author has asked is that we do him the kind favour of passing it on as much as possible. Maybe a journo could publish it? I understand it's recent, apols if duff gen.

Its Christmas Day - All Is Secure

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney with presents to give,
And to see just who in this home did live.

I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
No tinsel no presents not even a tree.
No stocking by the mantle just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands,
With medals and badges awards of all kinds,
A sober thought came through my mind.

For this house was different, it was dark and dreary,
I found the home of a soldier once I could see clearly,
The soldier lay sleeping silent alone,
Curled up on the floor in this one-bedroom home.

The face was so gentle the room in such disorder,
Not how I pictured a lone British soldier.
Was this the hero of whom I'd just read,
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?

I realised the families that I saw this night,
Owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.
Soon round the world the children would play,
And grown-ups would celebrate a bright Christmas Day.

They all enjoy freedom each month of the year,
Because of the soldiers like the one lying here.
I couldn't help wonder how many alone,
On a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.

The very thought brought a tear to my eye,
I dropped to my knees and started to cry.
The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,
'Santa don't cry, this life is my choice.
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more,
My life is my God, my Country, my Corps.'

The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours so silent and still,
And we both sat and shivered from the cold night's chill.
I didn't want to leave on that cold dark night,
This guardian of honour so willing to fight.

Then the soldier rolled over with a voice soft and pure,
Whispered 'Carry on Santa it's Christmas Day, all is secure'.
One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
'Merry Christmas my friend and to all a good night'.

TEEEJ
6th Nov 2007, 09:26
In the footage taken by the grenadier, was it me, or could you see the munition (looked like Paveway) before it hit?

Yes, the Paveway can be seen as it comes in from the right. Still photographers have managed to capture such munitions in flight before impact. A recent case was an Israeli Air Force attack where the photographer in the vicinity caught the munition before it impacted.

Pilot Pacifier
6th Nov 2007, 09:58
but the crewman bleating about vomit on the seat was a bit much considering what the troops have to go through once they're off the aircraft. Think what you like mate, but vocalising it for the cameras just makes you look like a bit of a dick really and gives crewmen a bad name

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. a) You weren't there. b) You didn't have to clear it up. c) When the troops are briefed they are shown the sick bags which are in the seat rails above their heads and or to use their helmets as a last resort. d) In an unguarded moment during 4 weeks of filming having just done a sortie where they come under contact, to say what he said hardly makes him look like a dick or indeed gives any crewman a bad name.

Good point V S F: I wish they'd edited that out.
In my experience, it's the linies who are left to clear it up anyway.

It was shown to show the general public the realities of flying combat missions and what the ground troops go through as well as us in the air, what would rather have had, more about the online dating which went on far too long?

As the for linies clearing it up, obviously you haven't been there or you would know that the crewman and linies work together, Tigs2 made the point that it 'Purple Ops' out there, well, that extends to the air and ground trades working together as well.

Sorry for the thread creep, but having just come back from 'The Stan' there is no way I will not protect my own...

Toddington Ted
6th Nov 2007, 10:02
An excellent programme which put across the human message very well, together with some really stalwart characters. I had particular interest in watching and learning from it as my media ops duties will involve such things in that place soon no doubt. :ooh:

South Bound
6th Nov 2007, 11:07
VSF

funny that, I watched it and thought more of the guy because he was prepared to clean it up. It is human nature to moan about doing crap jobs, no-one enjoys cleaning the toilet, one should not expect the crewman to be 'chipper' about cleaning up sick. Not the man at fault, rather the small-minded people that felt the need to slag him off publically for being a normal bloke...

Both documentaries were really good, let's focus on that and not on the nit-picky stuff, eh?

dave_perry
6th Nov 2007, 15:32
The L/Cpl from Tottenham was on the news yesterday morning and was asked about how he felt the public felt about the circumstances in the middle east. He said:

"...they don't care, they're more interested in the X Factor."

I actually think that this could be a fair reflection on todays general public. Any ideas?

pulse1
6th Nov 2007, 15:52
I am a member of the public who is angry and extremely concerned about what our servicemen and their families are being put through. Most of my neighbours and friends are also concerned but, other than writing to one's MP and waiting to vote at the next election, there is nothing we can do.

However, it is interesting that he mentions the X Factor. At least on the X Factor the public can have some effect on the outcome by using the dubious telephone voting. I suspect that, if the government had the guts to respond to a telephone vote on our continuing role in Afghanistan, the L/Cpl might be quite pleased at the response.

C130 Techie
6th Nov 2007, 19:35
"...they don't care, they're more interested in the X Factor."

I actually think that this could be a fair reflection on todays general public. Any ideas?

In the current self centred "celeb" orientated "me me me" element of our society that is probably a fair reflection. Sad though as these guys are risking their lives fighting to maintain the freedom of these people to watch such rubbish!

I rather hope though that Pulse 1 is right any many people really do care.

Brewster Buffalo
6th Nov 2007, 20:08
To me the Panorma programme, more than any other I've seen, illustrated how tough the fighting is out there and how determined an enemy the taliban are who continue to press the attack despite the artillery and bombs.

I do hope all the trials and efforts our troops go through out there do result in some sort of better Afganistan in the future.

alC
6th Nov 2007, 20:16
1.25am on Friday morning, 9th Nov.
Panorama is repeated on BBC1 Sign Zone.
I assume it will be Taking on the Taliban. al

Never Alert
6th Nov 2007, 20:49
Absolute respect to the Major and his troops, humbling and very moving stuff.:ok:

I don't know how anyone could watch that programme and not feel immensely proud of the British Armed Forces, including serving members sitting in the UK.

Long live this line of programmes, that's two good ones in the space of a month. They can only serve to increase the appreciation shown by the public to the guys OOA.

ericferret
7th Nov 2007, 03:04
Major praise also for the reporter and cameraman prepared to risk their necks for the superb footage needed for the program.

I always thought tv people were a bunch of tossers full stop.

I was wrong.

hibbs007
7th Nov 2007, 07:44
Missed the Panorama program (must catch the repeat) but what about Commando. I must say that the young officer, Berty?, straight out of training seemed to come over as a bit of an arse until he was sat talking to the camera having lost one of his marines.

It really brought it all home, and then when they said that 15 Marines had died while the program was being made, it was at this point I screamed at my wife and kids to shut up and show some respect while the names went up the screen and the last post was played, and I’m not afraid to admit I was in tears. Once again I really hope it brings it home to my fellow Civvies.

PS – I did 15 years but it was nothing compared to what people are doing now, keep up the good work, some of us try to understand.
PPS - I really must apologise to the kids, they are only 5 and 3 and didn’t deserve it!