PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 60

happydriver
4th Nov 2007, 09:51
Hi,

Could some kind soul please enlighten me on the 1 in 60 rule with examples of how i could use it in the real world.

Cheers

HD:confused:

TACHO
4th Nov 2007, 10:32
Yeah, 1 in 60 simply put means if you are one mile off track at 60 miles = 1 degree off track. we used to use a rule of thumb where by say you are halfway up your 40 mile leg (so 20 miles in) and you were 1 mile off track, 60/20 = 3 so multiply your track error by 3 = 3 degrees off track.

To be honest its a bit of a faff, Standard closing angle, or double track error are much more effective ways of regaining track. Or if you are anything like me, IE a complete lazy git who likes to keep the workload to an absolute minimum. Draw five degree drift lines either side of your planned nav route, then you can work out quickly and easily how many degrees you are off and indeed how much you have to turn to get back on track!... probably not the best explanation but hey!

Tacho.

emergencybus
4th Nov 2007, 12:20
Use the 1/60 to work out track NM on an ARC ie 15nm ARC x 20deg = Around 5nm

TOPBUNKER
4th Nov 2007, 12:40
http://www.auf.asn.au/navigation/enroute.html

happydriver
5th Nov 2007, 22:30
thanks for the help......gin clear now!

overstress
5th Nov 2007, 22:48
To turn TACHO's rule the other way round, you see a CB on radar at 90 nm. You wish to avoid it upwind by 10nm - now you can work out how many degrees to turn...

babotika
5th Nov 2007, 23:06
1-in-60 works for descent angles too, provided you use the same units.

punkalouver
6th Nov 2007, 22:24
Some years ago we descending into somewhere when ATC said cleared to XYZ fix(a certain radial and DME from a VOR) about 50 miles ahead. Captain wanted to continue on present track instead of reprogramming nav unit as it was only a 3° difference in track. I pointed out that using the 1 in 60 rule, we would be almost 3 miles off course by the time we got to XYZ. He reprogrammed the nav unit.