PDA

View Full Version : Willow Air, Southend, England and other FAA approved schools in UK

Scoobster
3rd Nov 2007, 21:44
Hi Guys

I was just after some information regarding Willow Air. The last posts seem to date back to 2004.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with this FTO?

I am considering doing FAA PPL with them (or potentially JAA PPL). They mention that they use Phoenix East Aviation in Florida! Judging by some of the posts about PEA, is it also advisable to stay away from Willow Air?

Any comments about the instructors, friendliness, quality of training, facilities etc would be helpful.

Cheers.

Scoobster

SD.
4th Nov 2007, 00:24
I can't comment on Willow, but why not head stateside to do the FAA PPL? You'll more than likely have to go there to take the check ride anyway.

Even if the training is done in the UK, you'll still need to go through the process of TSA and associated BS.

Scoobster
4th Nov 2007, 01:20
Its a bit complicated. I only get 30 days vacation so going stateside for more than say at maximum 40 days would be difficult, unless I leave my job altogether, which would not be wise as I am using it to save for my training!

This leaves the option of either:

1) Getting started now on FAA and go all the way through to FAA CPL, with the initial PPL done in the UK and then progress with other ratings in U.S (Well thats the aim anyway)

2) Delay training

3) Start JAA PPL and then hope that my review for a JAA Medical with the UK CAA rules in my favour, so I can do JAR licenses, instead of FAA.

The check ride can be done in the UK too by a visiting examiner, endorsed by the FAA FSDO.

youngskywalker
4th Nov 2007, 08:49
Business air in Norwich (formerly 'american flight training services') have a resident FAA examiner I believe.