PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Tier Points

FarWest
3rd Nov 2007, 19:31
I have just renewed gold on Virgin six months ahead of the renewal date. Virgin tell me that the Tier points I accrue between now and the renewal date are meaningless. Where is the incentive too keep flying Virgin?

:confused:

tezzer
4th Nov 2007, 08:42
Ditto with Emirates. Gone through the gold tier level already, and going on a trip to Singapore and Australia next week. Why go with Emirates ? If I went Star alliance and regained my gold there, or KLM/ AF the same would happen. There needs to be some kind of carry over into next year, c'mon airlines, you KNOW it makes sense.

Jordan D
4th Nov 2007, 11:11
BA has a methodology that if you break the Gold level, and keep accruing points they give you an upgrade for 2 or (for even more tier points) a silver membership for AN Other.

Jordan

strake
4th Nov 2007, 12:49
I have just renewed gold on Virgin six months ahead of the renewal date. Virgin tell me that the Tier points I accrue between now and the renewal date are meaningless. Where is the incentive too keep flying Virgin?
Well apart from the miles, if you renew Gold about three times in twelve months'ish, there is a "sort" of next level where you get looked after very well.

PAXboy
4th Nov 2007, 13:09
They do not advertise the next level, it is by invitation only and not one I ever expect to reach. A similar situation occurs within American Express.

They used to have Gold as their top card and then found they had lots of people there. So they started Platinum and then had lots of people there, they had a big incentive to invite people up to Plat as they get charged more money! So the real top card is Centurion (after their logo) but it is invitation only and be sure to have a long standing membership and a very considerable amount of money.

So there is usually one more step, why not phone VS Gold helpline and 'play innocent' by asking what incentive you have to stay with them during your current membership year.

FarWest
4th Nov 2007, 13:24
Thanks for the assistance; I'll see what the VS Gold Helpline has to say.

I doubt I'll renew 3 times in 12 months (ish) - it'll probably be 2 renewals.

strake
4th Nov 2007, 18:33
So there is usually one more step, why not phone VS Gold helpline and 'play innocent' by asking what incentive you have to stay with them during your current membership year.

The answer is likely to be '......more miles at Gold bonus rates, sir...'

A Centurion card is, as Paxboy says, an invitation because it costs to own it. The next "level" at Virgin is 'bestowed' upon you because you are providing revenue of about £40-50k per annum.
Still, might be worth a shot...:ok:

PVGSLF
5th Nov 2007, 06:04
I’m having the same dilemma. I’ve renewed gold six month ahead of schedule, and have been merrily continuing to accrue TP’s on premium class flights. I’m likely to be on a route served by both BA and VS for the next 3 or so months, before changing location to a route served by BA or Gulf.

It’s a tough call, my personally flying is usually on VS in Economy and having Gold is a nice benefit for me and the Mrs, and we’ve done very nicely out of miles in the last couple of years.

But since I’m unlikely to do enough premium flying on VS next year and worse will only be flying economy with Gulf,(and the partnership with Gulf is only a miles earning deal with no VS gold benefits), maybe I should switch allegiance now to BA and try to get status before I’m relegated to Economy class only in and out of Bahrain.

But those VS miles rack up nicely and get the mrs a lot of flights to accompany me.:hmm:

FarWest
10th Nov 2007, 19:46
They said:

Dear FarWest

Thank you for your email.

I would like to inform you that any tier points earned by you, over and above the 30 tier points required to maintain your gold membership during your current renewal cycle, will not be counted towards your next renewal cycle.

If you require further assistance please contact us.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Flying Club programme.

Kind Regards

I'll see what BA service is like these days. With a Virgin strike threatened, it is probably safer to book elsewhere at the moment.

PAXboy
11th Nov 2007, 12:02
That is one of the sorriest letters I have seen, FW. It is, perhaps, a sign that the carrier is now fully 'mature' and their go-getting, establishment-busting youth is far behind them.

Definitely time to try elsewhere BUT BA have CC probs too at the moment, see the other current thread. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=299605