PDA

View Full Version : Inland revenue and JPA

Marly Lite
2nd Nov 2007, 14:26
Has anyone in light blue managed to file their tax return online this year?

Having quickly and successfully completed my tax return online last year, I set about completing it online again this year only to be greeted with 'computer says no'.

According to the inland revenue, my job changed in July this year (WTF?!?) and my new employer has requested that my tax records be held in the PD1 office at Ty Glas which is the only office where you cannot file online! the nice man at the IR suggested I contact my employer to see if they could change this.

Funny old thing: JPAC: "its nothing to do with us, contact the inland revenue":ugh:

So, unless I am being picked on (Often feels this way) I am surmising that those of us who have to file a tax return will have to revert to the paper, pens and calculator stoneage system for the forseeable future.

Can anyone at PMA or whatever it's called this week shed any light on this?

Roll on 16/38 you can't come soon enough.

Marly Lite
2nd Nov 2007, 15:04
Further to the above, the IR got back to me, because of our employment status (whatever that means) no members of the armed forces will be able to submit online tax returns from now on. Nice to be so well trusted.
:ugh:

abbotyobs
2nd Nov 2007, 15:09
you are kidding I hope.

Anyone else had this problem yet.
Were not the paper ones supposed to have been filed by Sep and if online by end of Dec for the previous tax year. In which case, we will be now liable to a fine.
Great.

South Bound
2nd Nov 2007, 15:16
Just spoken to Tax Office who are unaware of any blanket change in regs.

Unmissable
2nd Nov 2007, 15:29
Submitted my 06/07 return on-line in Sep this year, no issues at all.

Wrathmonk
2nd Nov 2007, 15:44
Likewise - submitted mine in late Aug/early Sept with no problems.

glad rag
2nd Nov 2007, 17:02
Since when did you have to fill in a tax return when in the RAF?:confused:

Marly Lite
2nd Nov 2007, 17:06
abbotyobs,

I wish I was joking! I've no idea how this came about for my situation, there's nothing unusual about my terms of service etc. It would appear that some people have been able to submit online - sothb wrathm and unmissable etc so maybe I AM being picked on! chap from IR said that certain empolyees armed forces, police and (believe it or not) Inland Revenue personnel were not eligible to submit online.

All I know is that I can't and threre's no way to change it unless my 'employer' requests that my records be held in a different office. I reckon getting that to happen will be like doing 10 tax returns, so I give up here.

Good luck to all those with less than simple tax affairs, eg anyone not renting property or making a few quid on the stock market etc etc.

Marly Lite
2nd Nov 2007, 17:13
Glad rag,

if you're a top rate taxpayer and you make any extra income, lets say a high street bank savings account then you must submit. i'm clearly no expert but thats how i understand it.

Abbotyob: forgot to mention that if this does affect you, just submit a paper one by 30 Jan with tax calculated by yourself. Or, explain the situation to Ty Glas and they will waive the self calculation bit and do the sums for you.

glad rag
2nd Nov 2007, 17:24
Ah OK got you, never was in that situation in my 23 yrs, unlike now:)

The Gorilla
2nd Nov 2007, 17:44
I have had to submit a tax return ever since 92 when I went onto masters pay.The reason I was given by Ty Glas at the time was that having gone into the 40% tax bracket I had to declare all other income such as dividends and savings etc.

I have filed on line ever since the facility became available and after I left my servitude they have insisted I continue to file yearly due to my pension even though for the first 18 months or so I was below the 40% threshold.

This year after filing and owing a considerable sum to them they suddenly write and say no further need to file for future years?? Can't get any sense out of them, I have to speak to two seperate departments Ty Glas for my Paymaster pension and Bootle in scouseland for my main employment. Due to the data protection act neither department has any computer access to the other!! Joined up.. Not!!

I always use taxcalc (about £29) for my returns, they have never queried one yet. It is a joy to use and takes ten minutes to do, after of course you have spent four days looking for the P60's etc etc. If you can't file on line you just print it off and send them a hard copy.

Marley
I do not believe they can refuse to accept an online tax file if you have a valid gateway password and user ID. I suggest you ask to speak to a supervisor at TY Glas.:=

TG

Pontius Navigator
2nd Nov 2007, 19:12
Ah OK got you, never was in that situation in my 23 yrs, unlike now:)

Glad_Rag you also need to file a tax return if you want to reclaim monies due.

For at least 10 years you have been able to claim tax relief on the difference between public rate mileage allowance and 40p/m. This does not apply to home to duty but can mount to a tidy sum if you do much travelling for instance to college or on resettlement.

Suppose you do a duty journey in your own car at, say, 26p/m. A grateful air force pays you £26. However an equally grateful government allows you to reclaim tax on the 14p/m difference.

As a lower rate tax payer that is 22% of £14 or £3.08. If you are higher rate that is 40% of £14 or £5.60.

If you do only a few miles you may decide the hastle is not worth it. If you do, say, 700 miles then it starts to become more interesting. Better, you can claim back 6 years.

Vortex_Generator
2nd Nov 2007, 19:20
I have to file one as I'm overseas and rent out my house in UK. Mine went through online last month with no problem.

MrBernoulli
2nd Nov 2007, 19:31
While I was in HM Forces I had no trouble filing on line for several years (I should add that I was required to file a tax return every year), but my tax affairs were extremely straight forward. Just before I left I received a letter to say that as my tax affairs were so simple I shouldn't bother with tax returns for the time being. Hurrah, I thought, must be they have decided my tax stuff really is simple!

Well, the very next tax year I get a letter saying I had better continue filing tax returns! "Why?" I asked. "Because we say so" was the reply.

Feckwits!