PDA

View Full Version : Accidental magnifier!

Cameronian
2nd Nov 2007, 12:34
I was looking at JetBlast, as one might, when I mistimed - and misfingered - some clicks on my mouse and there appeared a circle superimposed on one of the postings. Within the circle, the text was highly magnified. Moving the mouse moved the circle over the text - magnifying whatever fell below the circle. Once I had tired of this, I tried to get back to my normal arrow cursor by clicking the mouse buttons but to no avail. One button varied the magnification within the circle while the other cycled between differently-sized circles and squares and even rectangles!

The problem is that this seems a very useful function but I still don't know which inadvertent combination of clicks got me there (or out again!) so I haven't been able to repeat the exercise!

Is there anywhere that I can find information about this and, perhaps, other hidden functions?

Bushfiva
2nd Nov 2007, 12:43
There are various XP accessibility commands. But this sounds like a mouse-manufacturer-specific one. The MS magnifier is ctrl-esc, type "magnify". Hitting a dead key such as shift 5 times will bring up the sticky keys option, for example. Searching microsoft.com for "accessibility tutorials" will tell you more than you need to know.

Cameronian
2nd Nov 2007, 12:46
Thanks for that, Bushfiva. I forgot to mention that I have a dinosaur of a PC which runs on '98! Does your information still apply and are there other hidden functions which I can discover? If there are, are they listed anywhere?

Edited to add that I've found and downloaded the accessibility tutorial for 98. I haven't had time to look at it very fully yet because there are 70 pages of it but what I did seems to be much more of a shortcut to the magnifier than what is listed therein. I'll continue to look at it, though. Maybe I'm missing something - it wouldn't be the first time!!

green granite
2nd Nov 2007, 18:04
If you are using NVIDIA right click on an empty part of the desk top then select nView properties and then the zoom tag it should tell you there what the select hot keys are.

Saab Dastard
2nd Nov 2007, 18:08
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows98/magnifier.aspx

SD