PDA

View Full Version : Hields Sherburn

airbourne
1st Nov 2007, 23:42
I have done the search thing on Hields and there seems to be a lot of people with nothing but negitive things to say about them. So can we avoid mud slinging in this thread.

Im looking for info on this company. Any personal experiences of the school? Did they get their FTO back? What is the equipment like? Im thinking of giving them a go. What is the are around sherburn like?

Sensible answer only please!

Whirlygig
2nd Nov 2007, 00:00
I suppose it depends on your point of view. Are you thinking of working for them, using them for charter work, training with them (PPL or CPL)?

If you've only heard negative things, that should make you wary. And nothing replaces a visit and a chat with them.

Cheers

Whirls

ppvvmm
2nd Nov 2007, 00:41
I got my ppl(h) with them, rented from them for several years.

given up now as I am too busy...

found them an excellent organisation.

pvm

VeeAny
2nd Nov 2007, 05:41
Generally you will always find some people with negative things to say about an organisaton, and some may have a valid point. You will certainly find that from a few posters on here and what has gone on between them and Hields seems to be a two way street and is their business I suppose, only the people concerned will know what happened.

My only experience of Hields was when Bob (having never met me) at almost no notice hired us a jetranger to complete a corporate job when our original aircraft went tech about 10 miles down the road. It couldn't have worked any better.

I was on a course with him a short while ago this year, and from my experience of him there I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Like Whirly says go and see them if you don't like them then you don't have to fly there.

GS

kevin_mayes
2nd Nov 2007, 08:11
Hi, Guy's
Also did my PPL(H) with them, small very frendly outfit, oftern able to do things that the larger boys can't in the way of hour building with fun positioning flights and the like.
Never had a problem with aircraft avaliability and Sherburn is a great place to learn to fly at, but I suppose you get out what you put in.
Give them a call.
Cheers
Kevin.

007helicopter
2nd Nov 2007, 17:25
They also own a Hiller from one of the Bond Movies, so when and if you do visit worth having a look in the Hanger.

jetranger_pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 18:31
I have been hiring R22's from Bob for a while. If your wanting instruction peter Bolton is pretty good. I have allways found them a friendly bunch.
Maintance is pretty good and helicopters are allways clean and luck well maintained.
They don't allways have R22's available though - I use Sandtoft helicopters as well. these are a good friendly bunch. I prefer the annual check with geoff Day based at Sandtoft.

I can recommend Hields and Sherburn, just don't get involved in the petty politics. Sherburn have been very unlucky with the comittee for the last few years.

airbourne
5th Nov 2007, 00:31
Any other Hields pilots that have local knowledge? Looking for best places to rent a place for 6 months or so. Whats the local area like? Any information that you may have is appreciated. Looking to start training with them in Feb '08

heli-mad
5th Nov 2007, 15:42
Hi there, i,ve been flying there for a few years.Bob is a good chap. If you want something a bit more profesional visit multiflight in LBA:ok:

Y

BHenderson
5th Nov 2007, 19:19
I popped in during the Summer. Very friendly bunch of people.

airbourne
11th Nov 2007, 22:44
Going to Leeds on Tuesday, Anybody with some local knowledge recommend a good spot for a bite to eat or anything around Sherburn, appreciated! Want to get a bit of an idea of the local area. Any ideas on where I could go? If I was to spend 6 months there, where would you live?

nigel f
11th Nov 2007, 22:53
Near Sherburn, there is Barkston Ash, the pub there isnt bad, think it is called the Ash tree.

Nigel

airbourne
15th Nov 2007, 02:26
I think it is only fair to come back to you all and report on our day yesterday. Sherburn is about 40 mins from LBA by car. When I say its in the middle of nowhere it really is. Met with Bob and his sister Angela who does the admin side of things. The aero club, the facilities, the air space, everything was excellent. Spoke to bob, what a gentleman. Showed us around, got the full tour, saw the Hiller! Had lunch, new cook there and it was lovely! Bob took us up for a bit of a joy ride in the afternoon. I was surprised at how much I knew compared with fixed wing. Left and got the flight back from LBA at 2000. We will definatly be going back in the new year to do the training there. Simply based on what I saw there over one day is if you are thinking heli training, then Id give Hields a serious thought. Thanks for everyones input.

Airbourne

Ex C-172, now R44 :D