View Full Version : Kinloss to become English territory

OilCan
1st Nov 2007, 21:39
Scottish news tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7073766.stm

interesting possibilities.:hmm:

Safeware
1st Nov 2007, 21:52
I could be wrong on this, but doesn't it apply now anyway in some respects? My understanding is that if you are subject to a Court Martial, then it is conducted under English Law (that being the basis of the Air Force Act etc) where-ever it is held.

sw

Wensleydale
2nd Nov 2007, 08:26
Here's a can of worms about to be opened!

Will this proposal mean that families in quarters at Kinloss/Lossie will be subject to different laws to those who have bought their own houses within the community? What will happen about University Fees... Prescription Charges, etc. Will they be allowed to vote in the local community or will they have to nominate an English constituency?:ugh::ugh:

Is this the first evidence of the Govt protecting its financial assets in case of Jock independence?

I open the floor to the honourable gentlemen.....

tucumseh
2nd Nov 2007, 08:32
Wensleydale

You've got a point. I were there under those circumstances .....

Perhaps the MoD should just hand the task over to the Sheriff for a Fatal Accident Inquiry. Wait a minute, that happened on Mull and he ruled against the MoD.

Climebear
2nd Nov 2007, 08:43
Perhaps the MoD should just hand the task over to the Sheriff for a Fatal Accident Inquiry.

They can't - that's the rub. Scottish Law only permits investigations into deaths that occur within Scotland. Hence why MinAF wrote to the Scottish Government/Executive (depending on your views) asking them to consider changing Scottish Law to permit them to conduct the investigations.

The Scottish proposal is for a small part of a military base (ie a building that would be used as the Coroner's Court) to become part of England not the whole base. So it would not mean that families would be subject to different laws. The proposal is similar to the UK court set up in the Netherlands for the Lockerbie trials.

Safeware - you are correct Service personnel remain subject to English law wherever they serve (by virtue of the Service discipline acts) as well as the local legal process (except where they are exempted by, say, a Status of Forces Agreement).

f4aviation
2nd Nov 2007, 09:05
There's a simple answer - move all the Nimrods to Waddington. :ouch:

harrogate
2nd Nov 2007, 11:38
Yeah, if the Jocks want to go it alone, fine.

But we'll have our toys back, thank you very much ;)

rab-k
2nd Nov 2007, 11:53
Jeez Harrogate, I guess the "toys" and bases must be part of England already! :eek:

Great fun living in this tax haven, not paying anything towards anything. Truly marvellous. (If only the weather were better :cool:).

Just off to find where that chunk of my salary under the heading "Income Tax" actually goes. Can't be going where I thought it did, so I'll nip out and order that Porsche. ;)

Fancy a spin, anyone? :E

MarkD
2nd Nov 2007, 15:20
I thought England might "Guantanamoise" bits of Scotland - I just reckoned that Rosyth would be first.

glad rag
2nd Nov 2007, 17:05
Dream on losers, if it comes to the crunch ALL toys will stay where they are. :}

wokkameister
3rd Nov 2007, 20:34
Slightly unrelated.

I can see both the pro's and con's of the Scottish push for independance. I too would like to see Scottish MP's including both Broon's b@@ger off North.
However, I was in Al Amarah in Iraq during the long summer of 2003, and have the utmost respect for the KOSB's I was out there with. We worked well together, far better than we would have as two allied parts.
Ther KOSB's are, alas, no more. That is an unforgivable act of treachery, though mainly perpertrated by Scottish Ministers.
However, before we start arguing over the wedding photos, and the Simply Red CD's, let us remember that we are stronger together.

WM

TheStrawMan
3rd Nov 2007, 20:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7075233.stm

RAF base plan 'not on the table'

glad rag
3rd Nov 2007, 21:17
Actually they are dead British Servicemen/women. With Rememberance day upon us I would think it would be better if you either reworded your entry or deleted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDmYnZDUMc

Op_Twenty
3rd Nov 2007, 22:30
Chaps, let's chill this thread, the point has been made.

ScottyDawg
3rd Nov 2007, 22:55
Just for information -

The analagous reference to "Jocks" that so many from south of the border seem to use as a degratory term to refer to the Scottish nation and/or individuals....:*-

Is in fact the proud nickname of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment - better known to you all as that fabulous group of individuals formerly known as the
BLACK WATCH.

I would think that following their heroism and proud representation of UK force involvement and the tragic losses incurred during operations in Iraq and in other areas of operation - that it might be respected by posters on this auspicious military forum....

All I can say is - how disappointing and you know....
I'm just not as surprised as I thought I might be...:yuk::yuk:

Cheers and thanks for looking in

ScottyD:O

glad rag
4th Nov 2007, 01:42
Thank you for that :ok:.

AC Ovee
4th Nov 2007, 16:17
Keith Brown, SNP MSP for Ochil and a former Royal Marine who served during the Falklands War, said it was "extremely important" for inquests to be held in Scotland. He said: "If you are a family from Scotland and you have had somebody killed overseas you have to first of all travel down to England in order to attend the inquest and also you have to suffer the long delay after the death has occurred - that can't be right."

Typical SNP view. Using his principle universally, a widow at say, Catterick, would have a right to an inquest in N England, thus saving her the hassle of travelling to Oxford and the long wait in the queue. He forgets that a widow in Shetland is further from Edinburgh that a widow in Catterick is from Oxford, so the point is flawed. Unless, through UK legislation, coroners are allowed to set up inquests for UK nationals at a place requested by the Next of Kin. That might work.

cm74
5th Nov 2007, 07:50
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7077823.stm

Soldier death inquiries move bid

Climebear said:

They can't - that's the rub. Scottish Law only permits investigations into deaths that occur within Scotland

This morning's report from the Beeb backs that up but knocks down the idea of an English coroner sitting up here. Of course I'm praying that it never happens but as British (English) member of HMF, living in Scotland, I could end up being moved around in a farcical manner if I was to die in service.

Surely the legal boundaries within the supposed Union could be disregarded where service personnel are concerned, and the most appropriate location for the military coroner be used?

This seems like another act of pointless bureaucracy, adding fuel to the argument that the paper thin 'Military Covenant' is not being maintained.

shona beattie
5th Nov 2007, 13:58
This can only assist the families and reduce the length of time waiting for a coroners inquest, if designated to the county appropriate. This is not about England v Scotland.

cm74
5th Nov 2007, 14:29
Agreed...100%

Aur
5th Nov 2007, 18:42
AFAIK is this not the reason why. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6468171.stm