PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructors. How long did it take from completing FIC to your first FI job??

ramshorn
1st Nov 2007, 11:05
Hello
I am finally taking the plunge down the FI route and hope to start a course in January. Could those of you who have recently acquired jobs as FI's give me an idea of how long you went between finishing your FI course and starting work as an instructor so I can get your views on the market at the moment. I've heard that its pretty buoyant at the moment?
While I'm asking if you could give me an idea of salary offered.This would also be very helpful.
Thanks alot:ok:

BlueRobin
1st Nov 2007, 11:28
Hi, this might be better asked in the instructor forum? (Mods!)

I'm banking on pretty much straight away, though there may be a wait involved until position become available for the schools where I would like to work.

BestAviation
1st Nov 2007, 13:33
Went fast. Never really got a chance to look for a job before I had an interview lined up.

Further, where I work (and I think most other schools as well) have a near 100% placement rate of instructors. The turnover is quite significant once the 1000TT approaches. Many get jobs because

a) They actually have some flying experience and know what they're doing
b) They have built up a network by then. Many who have gotten jobs where I am have gotten so by previous instructors walking their resume in.

I too am off to fly jets now.....and that all because someone put my name forth

In my oppinion an FI is worth its weight in gold. It will probably take you a year of hard work for **** pay (don't expect to be living large) to move on, but compare it to a TR for many times the price of an FI and the limited options you have with a TR and no time on type. It's a no-brainer.

I think you're making a smart choice ramshorn

Btw, salary varies from place to place. Some do a combination of retainer and flight pay others only offer flight pay (which must be really frustrating if the weather is poor....). I think on average, if you end up with a school that keeps you busy, you can take home around 10-15K/year.....so not more than what you need to survive. Expect to fly 5-600 hours per year.

ramshorn
1st Nov 2007, 13:49
Thanks B!
Sounds good except the wages! I don't think I could even live on what you have mentioned especially if its nearer the 10k rather than 15k. Any other experiences and examples of salaries from other FI's would be appreciated.

:ok:

BlueRobin
1st Nov 2007, 20:15
AIUI pay is largely by the flying hour, so largely dependent on weather and seasonal. You did investigate and budget before signing up to the FI route didn't you? ;)

I would go ask your local clubs. You never know, you might make a decent contact and be asked to call them back nearing completion.

ramshorn
1st Nov 2007, 22:19
I have been talking to a club owner who has offered me a job on completion.
We haven't talked pay yet so I was wanting to get an idea of others experiences.

YYZ
1st Nov 2007, 22:42
I had a job lined up prior to even starting my FI, there is a great need at the moment so you should be fine!!

YYZ

Jinkster
2nd Nov 2007, 10:31
I had a job prior to starting my FI course, go down to your local flying school and ask if they want instructors - then do the course!

timzsta
4th Nov 2007, 19:39
From the date of taking my FI flight test it took CAA three and a half weeks to issue me with my Rating. It took about 24 hours from it arriving in the post to getting a job. Had make some contacts whilst I was doing the course part time, and then had a little bit of luck.