PDA

View Full Version : Coordination exercises

Hilico
1st Nov 2007, 10:45
One thing I've always wanted to try: varying the airspeed smoothly between 40-80 while keeping height and heading. That speed range suits an R-22 and adds the complication that the tail doesn't feel as firmly 'held' by the airflow below 50. (So for a gentle start, try 60 to 80, etc.)

I haven't seen it in Bailey. Anyone got any opinions? Anyone got any others? If I get enough I'll book an hour and try them all in five-minute blocks.

manfromuncle
1st Nov 2007, 10:49
Isn't that just Exercise 5? Speed and Power Changes.

the beater
1st Nov 2007, 11:24
How about this:
Adopt and maintain an accelerative attitude (don't forget the flapback!).
Increase collective pitch by the amount necessary to prevent descent, whilst simultaneously applying pedal as necessary to keep the string/ball in the centre.
When your target speed is reached, re-adopt attitude as necessary to maintain this new speed, and reduce power to prevent climb, applying pedal as necessary to keep the string/ball in the centre.
Try it and see how it works.

Disclaimer:
No liability accepted for this radical approach to attitude and power changes.
E&OE

212man
1st Nov 2007, 11:29
Beater, that is too radical!

Only change I'd suggest When your target speed is reached use some anticipation of pitch attitude as you approach the target speed, to make it really smooth!

Camp Freddie
1st Nov 2007, 11:36
personally I think 50-80 makes more sense as 53 is best rate of climb/max endurance speed and 40 puts you on the back side of the power curve i.e. more power required at 40 than 50/53 and is also out of green arc on ASI.

reduced stabilty is readily apparent at 50 compared to 70/80

regards

CF

topendtorque
1st Nov 2007, 12:59
Every pilot, I mean EVERY pilot that gets past initial application stage with your truly gets to demonstrate his instructors 'prowess' by demonstrating to me and sustaining for at least a short time.

ANY combination of A/S and PWR that is acheivable. Think about it.

15" @ 90kts, or 15kts, or FT @zero A/S or 90kts, etc. Then turns are added in at varying rates, then terminating on certain headings with combinations including altitude.
Makes them sweat I tell you. At a degree of competancy - only then - will serious emergencies be added in.

It's an absolute must as a beginning for the manipulative skill that is rqd for mustering.

Note, I said his instructors prowess. If the transparency of the instructors technique is opaque and the subject has any obvious skill at all, then he gets taught the exercises. It's amazing how the good ones respond.