PDA

View Full Version : New Qantas check-in system

Islander Jock
1st Nov 2007, 07:07
Just talking to a friend who works for Q and she said a new system is being introduced to regional Australia throughout 2008. It may already be in place in the capital and major cities but I don't know. SOme of it's features / limitations are:

1. Flight will close off automatically and only the supervisor can override it and he / she better have a damn good excuse for doing so.
2. Seating is allocated by the system, no more requesting certain seats. So if you are a FF Platinum you will have maybe a choice of the good ones. If you are a scungy old FF Bronze - you're somewhere down the back with maybe a choice between window or aisle. If you're not an FF and flying on a supa saver ticket - you will more than likely be stuck in the middle of three seats.
3. The scales are connected directly to the system and there is no latitude that can be offered by check in staff. If the system says you have to pay a $50.00 excess baggage bill, you don't get your boarding pass until it is paid.
4. For mums and dads on a family trip with the kids and maybe carrying a stroller and a couple of car seats. you will be charged for at least part of these extra items.

This is just what I can remember from a quick conversation. Someone else might like to add or correct what I have said.

If however this is going to take place, Qantas better brace for some flack at the check in counters.

10secondsurvey
1st Nov 2007, 12:57
This is what is laughingly know in aviation as a 'service enhancement'. I'm sure Virginblue can willingly pick up the slack.

Islander Jock
25th Nov 2007, 22:37
Well the Qantas team have announced the big 100 day countdown to rollout.
It is called Altea Departure Control and Customer Management.

Basically the system is programmed to remove all discretion and customer preference at checkin and milk every possible cent from excess baggage charges. I had a look at it the other day. Every seat on every aircraft has been profiled. No more kids, disabled pax in exit rows. No more requesting that extra legroom seat if you are a scummy FF Bronze and it is marked as for silver or gold only. No more getting on if you are a minute or so after flight closure. System closes the flight and that is that!

Checkin in staff are trembling at the thought of the introduction of this piece of sh1t. THe punters don't yet know what they are in for.

Hartington
26th Nov 2007, 06:34
Altea is the generic name for "next generation" systems being developed by Amadeus. It covers reservations as well as DCS. Implementation has been on the cards ever since QF signed up with Amadeus.

10secondsurvey
26th Nov 2007, 22:00
I'm just wondering if Virgin Atlantic are introducing a similar (the same??) system. They have recently 'enhanced' their check in area at LHR T3, and check in is now either online or via machine only (except for upper class). Amazingly enough, you now have to weigh your own luggage!!, do the machine check in, then go to the 'fast' baggage drop queue.

I haven't used it myself (just rcently got sent the info from Virgin), but if it's as bad as it sounds, I'll not be using Virgin Atlantic either. I really cannot be bothered with the constant lies from airlines describing so-called 'enhancements'.

Truly a double-speak Orwellian world.

RevMan2
27th Nov 2007, 07:42
Get used to it, people - this is the future.
Want cheap airfares? Expect self-service everything, charges for value-addeds and tight cost controls.

Capt Fathom
27th Nov 2007, 11:11
What do you expect?

In Australia, Tiger = low airfare.......supposedly!

+$50 to sit with spouse+ $50 for hold luggage.

Your $29.95 Airfare just became $129.95!

apaddyinuk
27th Nov 2007, 14:14
So all the airlines are at it then????

Because BA's new T5 at Heathrow is full of similar little checkin goodies!!!

Flying_Frisbee
27th Nov 2007, 14:46
No more kids, disabled pax in exit rows.
Wasn't that always supposed to be the case, on safety grounds?

PAXboy
27th Nov 2007, 19:26
Altea Departure Control and Customer ManagementAahh, such beautiful words 'customer management'. Do they not just vibrate with good news?

You know, as a customer, there is nothing I like more than to be managed. I am sick and tired of being treated as if I am of value to the airline. How fantastic that I will not have to chose my own seat (sunny side of the a/c and a window, please) any more. Actually, I won't have to say Please and Thank You any more to VS either, if they go the whole machine interface route.

And Jeez but am I glad, I'll never have to slide in under the wire as the clock reaches closing time. As I sit waiting for the next rotation, or schlepping across the hall to their competitors, I shall be warm in the knowledge that their new system will save me the trouble of having to be part of the FF scheme and travelling on their aircraft.

The 'smiley' :ugh: is woefully inadequate to convey the stupidity of having bean counters and 20-somethings run the company.

Islander Jock
27th Nov 2007, 20:48
Flying Frisbee,
good point and I realise I used a poor example in the instance of exit row seating.

10secondsurvey
30th Nov 2007, 18:32
Silverjet is starting to look oh so much more attractive, day by day.