PDA

View Full Version : Do i own my airspace

bugdevheli
31st Oct 2007, 20:36
If i had a one acre field that was surrounded by sixty feet hight conifers, do i own that airspaceup to the height of the trees. As no helicopter can land without prior concent and no fixed wing could get lower than the trees I figure its mine ,and i can do in it what i bloody well please, I could for example jump twenty feet off a ramp on a motorcycle, shoot arrows fifty feet in the air, fire my shotgun up vertically. All legal persuits. Does a helicopter fall into a similar category providing it is kept within the boundaries of my property both in the horizontal and vertical plane. Bug

Jonasraf
31st Oct 2007, 23:20
This is a very good question, and i am looking forward to hear the answer to it.

But i am guessing that it is not that simple, at least it would not be here in nIceland. Because you even have to get permit if you like to build a helicopter pad at your summerhouse even though you own the land.

Jonasraf

Gaseous
1st Nov 2007, 00:29
I recall a similar thread, not sure if here or on another site.The conclusion was no, you do not own airspace but ownership is irrellevant. Whoever owns it, there are regulations as to how you use it. As usual, the state has gotcha.

I tried a search but cannot come up with the thread.

kevin_mayes
1st Nov 2007, 07:12
Hi Guy's
OK, tank this a little further, what if you owned a very, very large aricraft hanger. The space inside would be yours, just as the space inside your house or garage would be - in fact what if the hanger was connected to your house.
Would you then be able to fly around inside the hanger (exhaust fumes permitting...)
Cheers
Kevin.

rotornut
1st Nov 2007, 11:35
In the UK the High Court has stated in Bernstein of Leigh (Baron) v. Skyviews & General Ltd. [1978] 1 QB 479 (HC)

The problem is to balance the rights of an owner to enjoy the use of his
land against the rights of the general public to take advantage of all
that science now offers in the use of air space. This balance is in my
judgement best struck in our present society by restricting the rights
of an owner in the air space above his land to such height as is necessary
for the ordinary use and enjoyment of his land and the structures upon it,
and declaring that above that height he has no greater rights in the air
space than any other member of the public.

So the answer is yes

manfromuncle
1st Nov 2007, 11:42
I know there was a thread on this a while back and I think it was revealed that you did NOT need the landowners permission to land anywhere.

All those tresspassers will be prosecuted" signs are bogus because this is no actual "tresspass" law in the UK.

But the landowner could bring a civil action against you if you damaged the property/land/scared the cattle etc. And of course the CAA could prosecute you under Rule 5.

Bravo73
1st Nov 2007, 12:04
And of course the CAA could prosecute you under Rule 5.

Not if you're landing, they can't. ;).........................:E

topendtorque
1st Nov 2007, 12:35
bugd,
I think the real answer lies in the size of the flying machine as to what minimum or maximum height you are allowed to fly and what you must do to allow a machine to be flown. E.G. Here A/C of a very light weight used be not allowed over 300feet agl and must land to cross a main highway in the manner of something pedestrian.:ugh:

The crown onws the airspace, the sea surrounding and all water or land up the high water mark. The 500 foot mark is only part of the safety regulations for A/C operation.
The crown also owns the land, it only issues titles of lease, fee in simple or licence of occupation depending on the gazetted zoning at that place.

Here it also owns the timber on the land and all the minerals beneath.

The secret here is in your land title. read it and you will probably see that regardless of the type of tenure be it freehold, lease or licence, you only get to use the land for conveyance, growing, building on (type of building usually specified) .
It would probably never do to tell the crown that you shagged on their land right out in the open, there would be a new tax come daylight.

it still remains an interesting question about the discharge of the firearm.

You would of course have a shooters permit or similar, but I'll bet an OZ dollar, for the remaining three weeks that they may hold value, that their is nothing in yours or our firearms act with regard to the lobbing of acticles into airspace.

The similar part with regard to the dropping of articles from an aircraft for shooting operations, was deleted from our regs some time ago. A dispensation against which you used to need to shoot things from the air.
tet

Efirmovich
1st Nov 2007, 13:20
Budgevheli,

Interesting question ? Not wanting to practice hovering in a time ex machine are we ???:=

E.

slowrotor
1st Nov 2007, 15:16
If the flight machine is dangleing a rope to the ground then it may fall under the rules of tethered devices such as kites.

Some of the ultralight pioneers used this in the days before ultralight rules.

bugdevheli
1st Nov 2007, 23:48
Efirmovich. NO. i want to test my latest baby complete with its high inertia ring rotor system so that i can practice engine off landings from hover at 100 feet:):) Bug

Peter-RB
2nd Nov 2007, 09:45
Bug,

Be careful with the Shotgun discharge, normal cartridge will propel standard No 5 shot approx 60 yards, also that curtails the amount of area where you could stand and shoot horizontally , law states you must not overshoot any boundary that goes onto land not in your control or ownership... (got the tee shirt)

Peter R-B
Vfr

tescoapp
2nd Nov 2007, 10:57
you can't discharge a shotgun within 50 yards of a public highway even if your firing into the field away from the road.

Again got the t-shirts while taking out a load of pikey dogs which were packing and worrying the beasts. It did help that when the bobby turned up with said pikeys I had the bolt gun out for 2 heifers.

Hint from the bobby, always pick up the spent cases and throw them 50 yards away from the fence.

Nige321
2nd Nov 2007, 12:06
Efirmovich. NO. i want to test my latest baby complete with its high inertia ring rotor system so that i can practice engine off landings from hover at 100 feet Bug
Awwww come on Bug, lets see some pics...
I must get down to see you per our PMs a while back....
Regards
N
Ahhh, this one!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/eboki/not%20sophs%20stuff/heli002.jpg

Sedbergh
2nd Nov 2007, 12:13
The Air Ministry owns the entire stock of air :uhoh:

(Goon Show c. 1953)