PDA

View Full Version : One for Oxford JAA Students...

Launchpad McQuack
31st Oct 2007, 04:32
I've recently acquired some old Oxford material on a few of the JAA subjects, dated around 2001...I'm guessing Law isn't current, but would this material be sufficient for studying JAAs at present, or has the syllabus changed markedly since then?

Also, any advice on where/what material to study in the UK/Europe for JAAs (I've heard good things about Bristol) would be very much appreciated!

Cheers guys

LP

David Horn
31st Oct 2007, 19:10
I'm at Oxford now working from books published this year. I doubt you'll find any problem with material not covered, but the books will go into a lot of detail on non-examinable subjects which has been stripped from the syllabus since they were published.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing, though, since IMHO studying to just pass the exams is probably going to cause problems later down the line. We tend to cover nearly everything discussed in the books, but directly examinable information is pointed out.

Comparing the contents with the syllabus on the JAA website might give you an idea if anything's missing. Apparently a lot of things are changing next year and they're printing brand new books to accomodate this, so I'm not sure how useful the books will be then.

flyingcamel
31st Oct 2007, 23:23
B very careful when taking the word of any systems instructors as to what is and isn't examinable. Several people have found in the past that non examinable material has come up in the exam! A particular favourite was half of the radio propogation sections........